Wifi monitoring help

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by gudenaurock, Dec 18, 2011.

Dec 18, 2011

Wifi monitoring help by gudenaurock at 5:23 PM (1,017 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. gudenaurock
    OP

Member gudenaurock Never a unique idea

United States
    I would like to catch all of the packets that my dsi/ds sends and receives. I would like help for this please.

2. ecko

Member ecko GBAtemp Regular

Afghanistan
    the best i could think of is to run wireshark in promiscuous mode on a laptop and capture all the packets.
    this only work ds->router and not ds->ds since that uses a specialized protocol (as far as i can remember)

3. gudenaurock
    OP

United States
    Ok, I'm think that I will do a man-in-the middle with linux now...

4. elhobbs

Member elhobbs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    to receive all packets the wifi card on your computer needs to support monitor mode. if it doesn't then you will not catch most of the ds packets - at least for ds to ds traffic where it is not connected to an AP

5. gudenaurock
    OP

United States
    I'm using wifi, so it should work. The problem, will not connect when it is part of a man-in-the-middle attack... Uhg.

6. elhobbs

Member elhobbs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    iirc direct ds to ds communications have very tight timing requirements. I have no idea what you mean by "I am using wifi" so it should work. The wifi card in your computer needs to be able to enter monitor mode and send/receive non-standard wifi packets - manually set wifi packets sequence numbers etc. not all wifi cards allow you to do this. you should take a look at the source code for desmume.

7. Keram

Newcomer Keram Advanced Member

In the wetter and more windy parts of Germany
    Germany
    I doubt that "I'm using wifi" will be enough to man-in-the-middle attack the ds wifi communications :P
    I guess the easiest way would be providing the Internet to the DS from your Laptop or a PC with wifi and then sniff it out with wireshark but this will only work if the wifi provided by the computer is running in infrastructure mode (the mode that routers and wifi access points run in), ad-hoc mode won't work.

Edit:
    If you actually really want to take a look at the wlan from a bystander position(as in not being already a user inside the wlan or even the machine providing the wlan to the DS) you should take a look at real wlan sniffing, for Linux check kismet out (passive scanner that requires your wlan adapter to be able to run in raw monitoring mode) and for windows maybe netstumbler (active scanner).
    I'm really no expert on this, google is your friend.