Wifi Internet Connection works - but LAN Cabled doesn't

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by CannonFoddr, Sep 14, 2010.

1. CannonFoddr
    OP

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    OK gotta be quick as I'm off to work soon

Anyway, switched on my PC today (which is wired into router - it has no WiFi) & unable to connect to internet, however my old laptop with a USB WiFi dongle connected up OK (I'm using that now to post this)

At first thought it was the router (Belkin) so I disconnected it from my Cable Modem & plugged PC straight into the modem - still no good

Thought it might be cable - so plugged in the laptop using the same cable as the PC uses - that worked OK (& I know it was through Cable - as I removed the USB Dongle)

So I'm guessing it something wrong with the PC itself (either software or hardware)

I've not installed or removed any software recently - so can only guess that if its a software problem then it's a corrupt file or something like that

I've tried 'Local Area Connection' repair - that fails (unable to get ip address)
    (Incidentally - I am also unable to access the router setup page, so can't get ip addresses to set-up manually- even if I knew how to)
    I've tried ipconfig \renew - that failed (comes up with something about 'unable to contact DCHP')
    Checked to see if DCHP and TCIP services are running - They are
    I've tried sfc \scanall - No change
    I've tried some other 'fixes' from the net - none worked, so I'm guessing I may need to do a 'Windows CD Repair' - but that is really a last resort (I can restore an old Disk image that's ~ 3months old as well & hope that might fix it)

But before I do those - can anyone else come up with any other possible fixes that actually worked for them ??

2. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    ok open up command prompt and type ipconfig /all and under your network adapter you might get a 169.*.*.* if your pc is unable to talk to the router, sometimes this might work ipconfig /release then /renew, I fear that if you get a 169 address on your LAN card and you tested the cable and it works then it has to be the LAN card, try re-installing it, or you can always install another one as they are 10 to the penny.

to assign an IP manually is easy

go into the network settings of your LAN card and right click properties then properties on tcp/ip and enter the following

if you get a 192 address as a default gateway then for select IP manually

192.168.1.200 to 240
    subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.1.1 most routers use this but adjust accordingly, also for the DNS servers you will have to read the documentations from your ISP for that

3. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    OK - I'll give that a try tomorrow (once I get some sleep from Night shift), however I can't reinstall the card (if it turns out to be a 169 number) as it's part of the Motherboard

The '192.168.1.1' looks familiar - I THINK that's the router (or it could be 192.168.2.x - not sure) setup page.

The bit about 192.168.1.200 to 240.... I don't remember seeing any .200 - .240 as an address before, I had/have several things able to connect up to the Wifi - e.g mobile phone, DSi, Wii, Laptop etc - all of those were low figures like 2 - 7

As for DNS servers - AFAIK they are assigned automatically (My ISP is VirginMedia BTW)
    This is what they say on their website
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

I guess I'll just have to check that first number.
    If it IS 169 - could it be a corrupt driver or something like that that's causing the problem (I'm hoping it's NOT the motherboard) - would the Drive image 'repair' it ??

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    One potential fix is always to uninstall the driver and reinstall it. That's one of the best methods when there's a corruption somewhere in the driver that prevents it from communicating properly.

You can also try checking your firewall status to make sure it hasn't somehow blacklisted your own network. It's not likely, but it has happened in the past to someone I know (caused by a mischievious but intelligent little sister who wanted to stop him streaming DBZ of all things).

Otherwise the dirty fix is, as mentioned, get a new PCI ethernet card. They're cheap.

5. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    WTF !!!!!
    - Woke up today, switched on the PC to look @ the IP address etc as suggested above - & the bloody thing is now working !!!!!!!!

What the hell is happening......

@ Originality: thanks for the tip of the firewall - but currently I'm using the firewall of the router (& yes before anyone complains.... I DO know that it only protects me from INCOMING attacks & not outgoing) & so if the PC could'nt communicate to the Router (& the internet) then I'm sure I was protected (apart from the time I connected the PC Straight into the cable modem - I'm going to do a full Antivirus [once updated] & Malwarescan etc as soon as possible)

6. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    occasionally windows doesn't load the LAN drivers and although they are on the motherboard you can still re-install them as long as you got the motherboard driver disc, as for the IP range for instance

192.168.1.2-199 is dynamic which means that the router assigns your pc with an IP, or you use a static IP which is 200 and above and that is a static IP which will never change until you tell it to. if you use a static IP you have to manually input the DNS servers

7. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    For me, only 192.168.x.50-100 are dynamic. Most routers/hubs let you set the DHCP range.

@Cannon, about the firewall, I didn't mean it so much in terms of "protection", although it could have been the case (albeit unlikely), but rather in terms of "rejection" - if a firewall is told to reject all incoming and outgoing data, for instance, then that'd definitely stop the internet from working. Then again, since it works for you now, it can't be the case. For my friend, it turned out that his computer's IP (they were manually assigned, as opposed to DHCP) was blacklisted in the firewall, which achieved the aforementioned effect.