Wifi Homebrew R4 - flaky?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by pembriar, Feb 13, 2007.

Feb 13, 2007

Wifi Homebrew R4 - flaky? by pembriar at 3:53 PM (1,414 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. pembriar
    OP

Newcomer pembriar Member

United States
    Hi all,

Having big problems with wifi homebrew -- DSLinux sees APs but cannot connect, DSFTP (following recent R4-specific instructions) appears online (grabs DHCP IP) but isn't - whether is use the wifi script or any ifconfig commands, WIFI_LIB_TEST ain't working, neither is BEUP or WIFI chat... no luck whatsoever on ANY access point (wep, non-wep, open, any hot spot). Got Pointy Clicky to run and state it's online but it never was pingable. Running commercial games connect fine to WFC, however.

Anyone having luck with these wifi homebrew apps? I dunno, it just seems the NDS driver isn't working well with homebrew. Firmware 1.6, router tweaks, nada helps. Could it be R4 is great for running ROMs et al. but continues to choke on homebrew stuff (even after DLDI compatibility)?

Thanks all... [​IMG] :'(

2. screamster101

Newcomer screamster101 Advanced Member

I believe the DLDI is not running the current wifi lib. I had the same problems with Win2DS, DSVNC, etc. Only DS Organize IRC would work for me.

3. Szyslak

Member Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

United States
    The homebrew wi-fi apps that I use are working fine on the R4 (DSO, beup, ndsmail, dsftp). However, when I helped a friend set up his R4 exactly the same way, he can't get any homebrew apps to connect.

I have a Linksys router with WEP enabled, and my wi-fi setup is using DHCP.

He has a Belkin router with no security enabled (open AP), and it can't connect at all with DHCP or static IP. NDS wi-fi games work fine though.

I think this is an issue with the DSL (possibly newer versions), that will need to be resolved with a fix to the wifi lib that these homebrew apps use. It shouldn't be a DLDI issue.

I don't think this is a current limitation of the R4 (as mine works fine), so I think we'll have to be patient as the homebrew developers get this worked out.

4. nBrew

Member nBrew Member

Netherlands
    I posted this problem a few weeks ago here too. The wifi lib test was not working on my G6 and after installing flashme v7 it was.... i was happy. Now with the R4 its not working again (on the G6 it is still working tho). My DS Lite is from september 2006.

5. GameGeezer

Member GameGeezer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm not sure if this will help but it worked for me. I was having a problem maintaining a download on homebrew wifi projects using DLDI such as the homebrew database in DSOrganize. Downloads would stop and then stop. Then I changed modems when I upgraded to FIOS and it didn't work at all.

I read somewhere that using manual setup for your First connection would fix it.

What you do is find out what the range of IP's available to your wifi devices is ex. 192.169.1...100 or something like that. Look at your router set up and pick an address about 10 higher than the addresses being used by other devices on your router. Use that address for the IP in manual configuration. Then I went to a command prompt on my computer to find out the other information. At the command prompt type ipconfig /all and get the submask, gateway, etc info that applies to your main computer...this same info will apply to your DS Wifi as well.

It works for me. Hopefully this will help.

6. Szyslak

Member Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

United States

Thanks for the info GameGeezer. I really hope it will help others. I have already tried that on the problematic DS I was posting about. That's what I meant by the "static IP" approach. It didn't work on my friends R4, but I know for a fact the approach detailed above has helped others. Just as an aside though, more any more developers are focusing on adding DHCP support, so that this approach is no longer necessary. Here's hoping they figure it out.

And trust me when I say that I mean the above comments with full respect to what has already been accomplished so far by homebrew developers on wi-fi. Thanks to them, the capabilities of this little handheld device are amazing.

Again, thanks for trying to help me out GameGeezer.

7. cerebus

Newcomer cerebus Member

Canada
    Me it's weird I have DSLiveWeather connecting no problem, but beup will just not connect and I tried everything and every version.