Kbs

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I need some help because I've read that you can't have your internet security set to WPA and use wifi junk on your DS (which I'm assuming is true). I was wondering if I change my router settings to WEP, will all my laptops that are connected wirelessly stop connecting to the internet? This is probably a stupid question but I've had a LOT of problems with my internet before and I don't want to create any more by adjusting a bunch of settings.

daisun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you change your router to use WEP your laptops wont be able to connect wirelessly. But, this can be easily fixed:

Goto each laptop and search for your wireless network which is now using WEP.

Enter your WEP key, which you created when you changed the settings on your router, and the laptops will connect without a problem.

However, it is general knowledge that the security provided by WEP is vastly inferrior to that of WPA. It may be a better idea to just switch security off when you need to use ur DS and then switch WPA back on when your finished.

Kbs

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I can connect to my DS just by turning the security off and it won't affect anything it's connected to? I didn't know that. Can anyone else confirm that works? (No offence daisun, I just want to be cautious when messing around with settings
tongue.gif
)

daisun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
O sorry, turning off security may cause your laptops to not connect automatically. However, getting your laptops to connect to your router again is simple. If there were to be no security and your laptops failed to connect automatically, just search for wireless again, assuming you haven't changed your SSID, you'll see the name of your network come up but this time with no security on it. Then just double click your network and your laptop should connect without any problems.

No matter what security settings you change your router to, whether it be WPA, WEP or no security at all. Your laptops will be able to connect to the network once you've told them you've changed the settings and supply them with the correct information. ie. new WEP key or WPA key or simply telling them to connect to your now unprotected wireless network.

Kbs

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
K I've got like 2 more questions.

If I switch to WEP to go on my DS and leave the laptops off and than switch back to WPA, will I have to reconnect all my laptops or will nothing happen?

If I switch to WEP where my laptops have to be manually connected again and again and than switch back to WPA, will they start reconnecting automatically just by connecting manually once?

Sorry for these noob-ish questions. I am far from a computer know-it-all
tongue.gif

daisun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kbs said:
If I switch to WEP to go on my DS and leave the laptops off and than switch back to WPA, will I have to reconnect all my laptops or will nothing happen?
Providing you keep the same WPA key and all other settings the same, the laptops should connect automatically when turned on.

QUOTE(Kbs @ Jun 13 2008, 07:03 AM) If I switch to WEP where my laptops have to be manually connected again and again and than switch back to WPA, will they start reconnecting automatically just by connecting manually once?
I'm not sure what you mean with that question. I think your asking if you changed it to WEP and then manually connected your laptop then switch it back to WPA and manually connected again will this be enough to ensure that each time you changed encryption your laptops would still connect.

My answer is, I don't know. It might work? but you can answer most of these questions just by experimenting and if something doesn't work
hate2.gif
theres no harm done, just change back to the settings which worked before.
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: HBD 2U