Wifi from laptop?

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by JesterDev, Sep 25, 2006.

1. JesterDev
    OP

JesterDev GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2003
    United States
    I use a wireless router from home, to get internet access at work (about a block away). However I have to be as close to my house as possible to get a decent connection. So here's my question - Will my wireless PCI card allow me to use my DS wifi from further away? What I mean is, say my laptop is close the the house with a decent connection, and I want to sit further away; will that still work?

Home ----------- Laptop (wireless PCI: Farthest possible distance from wireless router) --(More distance)-- Me with DS

2. richardv

richardv GBAtemp Regular

Feb 8, 2006
    United States
    Only if your card supports acting as an access point.

3. Kaphis

Kaphis GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2006
    Canada
    Richmond
    is any card able to function as a repeater built in O.o?!

I don't think so o.o....u need at least two antennas if u want to do that... and it wouldn't be that great either cause it wold probaly draing your battery (if u are on AC it would be okay battery wise)...but its probably as expensive as getting an acutal repeater...

I have n ever tried this but I wonder if its possible to have a wired connection to your computer and then use a wireless adapter to function as the access point...I wonder...

but the quick answer I assume is no~ unles someone else tells me otehrwise

4. DownwardSpyral

DownwardSpyral The Fastest Thing Alive

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2006
    United States
    Green Hill Zone
    Depends. The Nintendo WiFi connector does just that. Feeds off your systems current broadband and broadcasts it to a DS.

If it was an option, thats what JesterDev could do. Use the WiFi Connector to create a beacon at the laptop, instead of trying to maintain range with their home network.

5. Kaphis

Kaphis GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2006
    Canada
    Richmond
    u are once again correct ^^:;

yea the WiFI connector would be able to do that for you~ as it works as an access point...

I never figured out how the WiFi connector work like..does it only work for DS and how far is the range?~ wait nevermind..I wil go to the right forum and look ^^:;

6. Triple_Nipple

Triple_Nipple Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2006
    oh, i hope it´s ok if i use this thread.

Well, i have a laptop and would like to use its wi-fi card to play with my DS Lite over internet. The problem for me is that the wi-fi card seems to be disabled :S. Then when i try to connect to it, my regular connection goes off line. I have no idea how to solve this, any one that have experience about this? please help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice