WIFI at Home!

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Norman3000, Apr 23, 2008.

Apr 23, 2008

WIFI at Home! by Norman3000 at 11:30 PM (4,508 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Norman3000
    OP

Member Norman3000 GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    Good Day to everyone! I'm sorry if someon ehas posted this already i used the search but i did not see any. May I ask can you play WiFi at home? i want to play some games like MPH, Yugioh etc. over the world

Is there a way? help me please?

I have a Windows Vista computer, a slow internet connection at 384kbp/s

Hope this helps

[​IMG]

2. RaiDesu

Member RaiDesu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    WiFi is something you play at home or where there's an available connection.
    You will need an adapter of some sort or a Wireless Router.

3. PigVenus

Member PigVenus GBAtemp Regular

Sri Lanka
    Also, you can only use up to WEP for your wireless encryption. No WPA or WPA2. [​IMG]

4. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    I don't use encryption ... just MAC filtering ...

5. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    mac users should use airport express but pc users need some kind of wireless modem/router

6. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    You need to buy a wireless router or a wireless USB adapter.

7. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    quick ds guide:
    wep 68.128 with a valid key
    802.11b
    channels 1,6 or 11
    ssid set to public broadcast

-another world

8. Another World

Colombia
    man users *should* use what router they like. why must you own a mac router because you own a mac? personally for the cost difference i would never purchase a mac product. waste of money for the same functionality.

-another world

9. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I think you don't know what "Wifi" is. Its a wireless internet connection. First, do you have a WIRELESS ROUTER? If you don't, you might want to get that. But there is another choice. A WIRELESS ADAPTER for mainly DS+PSP's for WIFI access. Its a USB thing you put on your computer, and your connection goes wired->wireless. Research(Google) before you post please.

10. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States

Mac Laptop, or Mac Desktop w/e user does NOT use what ever router they like. Some routers and Mac computers don't match. But Mac products(Airport or somthing) 100% works with Mac products since its officially made by them. This is Mac's way of selling there crap. For example, there is this thing called "Socks", for Apple iPods, its like a case, except its just a factory made wool case for your iPod. Its $35 for a freaken sock. You can get a freaken high quality sock for what, $10 max? Apple are cheap, trying to get money out of young children, trying to attract them, but mainly attracts older people since they tend to have more money then younger children.

11. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Help the guy out, this is a friendly forum after all.

Ahem.

In order to get "Wi-Fi" at home, you will need to replace your router with a wireless one, or get a Wireless access point that attaches to your router. Don't have a router? You may be able to turn a PC wireless card into a Wireless access point, but it's a little bit tricky. I wouldn't recommend Nintendo's USB stick though.

12. Another World

Colombia
    depending on where you live, how much cash you can spend, etc... just look into a simple 60-80$ (USD) router from any bestbuy/walmart/frys/etc. unless your a security freak and you *must* have linux running on your router (hmm) you won't miss out on anything by purchasing a cheap everyday router. i picked up a netgear rangemax router when they were on sale at bestbuy. had some issues with portforwarding and the SPI firewall, but wifi worked out of the box. i had my nds online before i had my network online.

if you go with a usb adaptor please do the research. there are many issues associated with the different usb adaptors. some are installation issues, some are hardware issues, some are dropped connections, some are just tweeking settings. i'm sure you can get one up and running but it might take time and you might not enjoy the final product.

goodluck!
    -another world

13. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan

i spent a lOT of time trying to get my DS to work off my laptop. i have a wired router that connects my latop to the net. what i did was make a new wireless connection (adhoc network). i then bridged the lan network with the adhoc. so far i've gotton other laptops to connect and use the net this way but for some reason the DS doesn't [​IMG]

it works with a wireless router or the USB wifi connector. try leaching off your neighbors wifi [​IMG] . the ds doesn't use much bandwidth anyway.