wierd fullscreen "underscan" issue

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Iggy248, May 30, 2009.

May 30, 2009
  1. Iggy248
    OP

Newcomer Iggy248 Newbie

Alright, so here's a odd one. Searched around and can't find any similar stories, but that might just be because of the abundance of people complaining about widescreen underscan. Before now, I hadn't noticed this, but I just tweaked my TV's display settings via the service menu so it would show everything displayed, and that's why this has just recently became noticable, as it was off the screen before, and as it would be offscreen on most stock displays

I have my Wii hooked up to a SDTV via standard video cables (not RGB) in fullscreen mode.

The main menu shows fine, no black bars. However, depending on what game I load, there will be thin black bars on the sides of the screen.

Every first party game I've loaded displays fine with no bars, yet it seems that either all or the majority (every one I have tried) of 3rd party games suffer from this issue.
    - Same goes to all of Nintendo's official channels, but interestingly enough the manuals or whatever they're called (brought up via home menu) display with the bars. As you'll see in the pictures, the weather channel appeared fine, while it's manual has them.

On the homebrew side, it varies. HBC displays fine, while WAD Loader 1.4 & Cover Flow USB ISO Loader (LINK) show the bars.

When I switch the Wii to widescreen, the only noticeable thing it fixed was coverflow, which could possibly just be because its outputting wider? - dunno

I took some pictures to give you guys a better idea of what I'm seeing. If anyone can explain this / knows a fix for this help would be much appreciated.

Bars in pics 3,6, and 7
    Fullscreen
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Widescreen
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Compare
    Full/Wide
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    (EDIT) I just realized you tweaked your display setting via service menu. What did you use as a reference? A calibration dvd or grid template I hope? I did the same thing to my old tv, so the text in Elder Scrolls: Morrowind would fit correctly on the screen, and then everything else was screwed up. Maybe you should just set everything back to factory defaults. What were you trying to tweak?

What is your resolution set to in the Wii options? (480i or 480p), and are you using component or s-video cables?

Everything you described is consistant with 16:9 displays running in 480p resolution, which is odd on a 4:3 display. Widescreen users like myself, just have to deal with the black bars, but I always thought they'd display properly on a normal tv. Although most first party games don't have black bars, some of them do (WarioWare Smooth Moves), and many third party games don't have black bars as well. I always thought this was because not all games were designed for true widescreen support. I'd double check your Wii settings, and your TV settings, because I'm really not sure what's going on here. Good Luck.

3. Iggy248
    OP

Newcomer Iggy248 Newbie

I'm using the standard RCA cables (yellow/white/red) and running in 480i, in 4:3 mode. And I tested in widescreen to see if the bars remained, which was mostly no dice (results explained in topic post).

EDIT: I tweaked a lot, and as I explained, yes, on most tvs this would never be seen. But the point is that it displays fine for some things and not for others, while the TV never changes modes between switching from one to the other, so it's obviously nothing to do with the tv.

The only conclusion I have come to is that some stuff runs with a lower horizontal resolution then others and doesn't even bother displaying itself to a certain degree on the sides, but nowhere I have looked can confirm this. So what I'm mostly looking for here is a concrete explanation for this and whether or not it can be fixed.

4. Iggy248
    OP

Newcomer Iggy248 Newbie

Alright, nevermind I guess.

I hooked my Wii up to my HDTV and messed around a bit to see if it was indeed just running some things at a lower horizontal resolution then others and yes it was. Just put the Wii in 4:3 mode and set the tv to display the signal without stretching anything, and then measured how much black was on the sides of the screen (it's a widescreen) in the different apps/games. And the square was only so big with the things that showed those black bars, while it was a little wider with the things that displayed properly on my other tv.

So from what I gather apps/games run in 2 different resolutions (pertaining to 4:3 mode), depending on what the developer prefers.

Anyone know what the actual resolutions are? I just find it odd that they just expect no one to be able to see that far to the sides on 4:3 televisions, yet other things go far enough to display there.