1. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    I think people are sort of jumping the gun here on blaming purely the capacitors, as it's not just third party cards that have issues crashing, Nvidia's FE and EVGA's FTW card that have the "proper" caps also have been reported to have the same issue by users despite EVGA's claim of FTW3's working fine. I'd reckon it's more down to a VBIOS/driver issue somewhere along the line as opposed to purely caps being the issue (though I'm sure, at the least, it's related). The fact that it seems to only be crashing hitting a certain frequency as opposed to something like hitting a specific power limit makes me think the issue is a lot more complicated than just cheap components.

I've got a Zotac Trinity 3080 myself, which used all 6 POSCAPs (AKA the "bad" ones), but it only boosts to 1950mhz so I haven't had any crashes yet in the couple days I've had the card now (and I've been pushing this thing real hard, doing lots of benchmarking and game testing at 4k :P), so I'm not too bothered by the problem myself. Though if the issue is actually cap related and Zotac allows RMA replacements for one, I'll most likely do that.

That said, I'd still wait to grab a new GPU anyways so they can work out the kinks, as always you shouldn't buy a launch GPU in case it has issues like this. I only did so because I have the cash to burn now and likely wouldn't later and I don't mind being an early tester for things like this :P

Scott_pilgrim, Flame, Foxi4 and 2 others like this.
  2. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Because it's Nvidia, got to set the narative early that's it's someone elses fault (in this case trying to blame the aib partners). Nothing is ever Nvidia's fault. Any issues Nvidia have are always downplayed or blame shifted to someone else by a large portion of people online.

Friendsxix and Rahkeesh like this.
  3. p1ngpong

OP p1ngpong I am kind
    Former Staff

Croatia
    It is still unknown what exactly causes the crashes. But going by what EVGA said and what other people have discovered the capacitor issue is definitely a big part of it. EVGA would not have changed their production and delayed their card roll out if this was not a serious issue. People who have slightly lowered the voltage and clock have also fixed the issue that way, hopefully this is not a fundemental flaw in the architecture that just gets aggravated by bad caps. Nvidias reference was always to have at least one or two banks of the better caps on the GPU, it is actually really shitty that a lot of third party producers ignored this.

It is a bit of a lottery now whether you get a good or bad card, if you have lucked out things will only get better and more stable through time. In my case I had not received my card yet and my retailer said I would likely not get it until the end of October/November. In my case it is totally not worth the wait and risk so I cancelled.

This really has taught me a bit of a lesson, despite my better judgement and experience I went and pre-ordered un-reviewed and untested hardware. That definitely will not happen again.

4. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Spain
    I'm happy with my 1060 for now, thanks

5. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    hell even that is unusable without multiple de-bloat scripts and registry changes

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  6. wiitendo84

wiitendo84 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I had the same issues with the radeon 380 and 390 years ago. Spent too much on them to crash like they did.

7. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

United States
    RIP to the beta testers who bought early.

8. CTR640

CTR640 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Jensen - "To all my Pascal gamer friends, it is safe to upgrade now"

My 1080Ti: Bitch please, I'm not crashy and still rocking very well.

9. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

United States
    This can be fixed in firmware and it looks like you could fix the caps yourself if you really wanted.

It's not going to be a huge issue, but we should hope that Nvidia learns their lesson and gives AIB partners a basic driver that can push the cards for testing.

10. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Ah the joys of being an early adopter...

11. Kingy_

Kingy_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    welcome to Turing 2

alexander1970 and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  12. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    Bummer, this will prevent me from getting a new computer and game like a boss. Despite not having the moneys for it, this will not help me in getting it.
    Just as I was thinking of not getting one, and this news drops. Must be fate. Or something like that.

Sorry, guys.

13. Latiodile

Latiodile Profesionnal Scalie

Canada
    yeah but that doesn't mean asus hardware is still reliable

14. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Can I buy them with full 6 mlcc?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

[​IMG]

Scott_pilgrim and Blake5100 like this.
  15. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    They're not always the best, to be honest. Often times third-party cards have much better VRM, and they almost universally have better cooling - especially for the last couple of generations when NVidia was infatuated with blower-style coolers that, albeit very "cool-looking" , are simply less efficient than two or three enormous fans, plus they tend to be louder and push less air, it's not an optimal configuration. This generation the stock cooler is a bit more interesting and worth testing long-term, but the Founders PCB is *not* the stock PCB on many SKU's, it has weird cut-outs for the new fan system which will necessitate waterblock manufacturers creating separate cooling solutions for stock and reference, which is just plain weird. It's hard to call the Founders Edition the "stock" card when it's not using a stock, reference PCB. They do get first pick in binning though, so you get top shelf chips. That said, usually (not always), top-end manufacturers are capable of surpassing the Founders in performance just on the basis of better VRM and better cooling, both of which are essential when trying to boost the card as hard as possible. It's... a weird generation. We've had a lot of weird generations lately.

16. Nomi20

Nomi20 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ah yes how fun.

17. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Malwarebytes Bootable Developer
    Developer

United States
    I bought an Asus TUF GAMING x570 Plus Wi-Fi motherboard, and it's fantastic, but nothing I would do in the BIOS or Windows would get the Ethernet working. Pissed me off they sold me a bunk board. Especially when x570 motherboards were really hard to find in June that weren't disgustingly overpriced. I paid $100 more than retail just to secure it, and the goddamn Ethernet is broken. Had to buy a cheap Rosewill PCIe card just to get Ethernet.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

What's funny is if you pluck out every other fin, the fans can move more air and are a bit quieter as a result. They put the fins too close, and that's why they're so damn noisy.

18. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Let's just hope majority of the 3080/3090 cards that were bought with this problem were by scalpers.

19. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Yeah, getting new hardware on launch day is totally a good idea

- Said no one ever :lol:

20. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I overpaid for my 2080ti last year, but damn it atleast i never had a crash from it.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Widespread, Crashing, reports