widescreen monitor with 4:3

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by rafcor, May 11, 2008.

May 11, 2008

widescreen monitor with 4:3 by rafcor at 10:34 PM (1,405 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. rafcor
    OP

Newcomer rafcor Advanced Member

Brazil
    I'm looking for a LCD widescreen monitor with 4:3 resolution mode (to play old games), here in Brazil I think the best would be the LG W1752T, but how does the 4:3 works, because at the LG site (brazilian), they show the normal screen (4:3) and on the widescreen monitor, but the picture is stretched.

Does anyone here have a monitor like these, any brand, and could show some pictures about the 4:3 mode, thanks.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    4 options

black bars (most likely): black bars are down the sides of the screen where an image might otherwise be.

stretch: does what it says on the tin.

panorama: the middle of the image is normal but it gets more stretched towards the outside. I have not seen this on anything other than TVs and the occasional conversion/capture box though. (OK there was also one very badly made DVD but I will leave that for a different day).

zoom: the cousin of black bars, where the image would stop when the top met the edges of the screen it now stops with the sides meeting the edge of the screen (and you missing the top and bottom of the picture).

A link with some info:
    http://www.ausmedia.com.au/projectors.html

Check your games as well, some do have options and also check places like:
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/...x.php/Main_Page

Sidenote: widescreen monitors are normally in actuality 16:10 rather than 16:9 and the same stuff applies as written above.

3. wiki

Member wiki GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    ive got a 2ms asus vw2228u which has 4:3 aspect ratio scaling.

edit: when 4:3 aspect ratio scaling is on and the monitor detects a 4:3 resolution it'll display in the correct 4:3 ratio (two black bars on sides, no stretching). Any other ratio resolutions, it'll stretch to the fullscreen (so no 16:9 scaling, unfortunately).

4. rafcor
    OP

Brazil
    thanks for the info, now i just need the $$$ to get a new PC, damn FX5200.
    by the way, how do you enable it?
    software from ASUS?
    windows?
    or the monitor itself? (I think not, but it won't hurt to ask, I think [​IMG] )

5. wiki

Member wiki GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    you enable it through the monitor itself : )

6. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    I get the option to change it in the nvidia control panel in terms of what to do with a 4:3 monitor

7. rafcor
    OP

Brazil
    sounds good...
    any recomedations of a monitor like that?
    here in Brazil our main brands are Samsung and LG, and i'm looking for a 17'' widescreen monitor, since a bigger one won't fit in my room
    i prefer LG myself, had terrible traumas with Samsung (my CRT monitor can't even show black, it's like a very dark green!), but if you know something better, i'm listening

8. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    Do you know LG invented the flat screen technology and most LCD televisions use LG screens rebranded as Sony, Panasonic..

So you will not go wrong with a LG because Life Is Good.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Electronics