WiBrain B1

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Beware, Apr 29, 2008.

Apr 29, 2008

WiBrain B1 by Beware at 10:38 PM (1,814 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Beware
    OP

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    My laptop recently died out (pretty sure the main board is fried) and I was thinking about getting a WiBrain B1LE and installing XP on it. I was wondering what other peoples' experiences have been with the B1E or B1H. I should be picking it up at the end of the month.

I think it looks like a good purchase because it has a fantastic price, it is small, and it has got some nice specs. I just wish there was a model with a bigger HDD (or at least some easily upgradeable HDD and RAM). A lot of people don't like the way it looks, but I actually think it looks pretty nice (though not as perrty as the OQO Model 02). It also looks like it will be wonderful for retro gaming (may end up selling off my PSP). Anyone else have one of these beauties or are also thinking of buying one? I'll have one within the next 6 weeks, but maybe earlier if I sell my PSP, so I'll be posting my impressions here. [​IMG]

2. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Specs are pretty 'meh' for the price, but its got a neat form factor (especially for gaming).

I tried one out a while back and could not get used to the split-keyboard. Make sure that won't be an issue for you.

3. Beware
    OP

United States
    Well, the B1LE runs Ubuntu Linux and is only $499. I wouldn't pay $649 for the same specs, but with an XP license. And I've heard after a decent amount of time you can get used to the split keyboard. What I really want is an OQO, but I'd rather settle for a more convenient form factor (even though it's not quite as schmexy) and pay about $800 less.

4. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    I have an OQO laying around here, somewhere ... quite nice ... can't remember who gave it to me ... hmmm ....

I tinkered with it for a good long while ... trying to remember why I stoped using it ... was an important reason, as I remember telling someone, at the time, not to buy one ...

5. Beware
    OP

United States
    Well I'll gladly take it off your hands for $500 USD! lulz jk. :-P I was pretty excited when I heard there was an OQO outlet, but it's still a lot pricier than the similar spec'd WiBrain (even though they run on the same processor). The docking station is a little cheaper for the WiBrain too. And a cool plus to that is that it looks like an old dot-matrix printer. [​IMG]

EDIT:The orange around the Linux models looks pretty spiffy too. [​IMG]

6. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    I'm lucky ... where I live there is a large retailer who specializes in those types of gadgets ... and they have a massive warehouse, and do much mail order ... but I live close enough for retail, which is great.

7. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    I would post a nude picture of myself in a giveaway for one of those :drools:

How would the Nokia N810 compare for what you want? It isn't exactly a full UMPC, but it does a lot.

8. Beware
    OP

United States
    I need full PC performance. My old laptop had similar benchmarks to the WiBrain and I don't think I could possibly deal with anything less. And isn't the N810 a MID? I need real PC applications (simple photoshopping, basic music programs, etc) and I need a real keyboard this will be used a lot for school.

EDIT:
    I would also do quite a lot for one of these puppies. [​IMG] BTW, I should have a pic for the eeePC giveaway by tomorrow thebobevil (hopefully).

9. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    They should have implemented phone features in it, and given it HSDPA ... oh wait, that's what they are doing in the next model [​IMG]

10. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    The WiBrain looks very thick and awkward. You can install XP on the Eee....

11. Beware
    OP

United States
    I don't care for the sub-notebook form factor though. I really want the eeePC just to tinker around with and then give it to my sister since she is going to help me pay for the WiBrain since my laptop fried and I lost all my important data (but my internal HDD is still good, so when I get an enclosure then I have a nice 160GB external).

And it's much thinner than you think. As far as thickness and weight, I believe it is in the same ballpark as the OQO, but it seems so much bigger due to the split keyboard (but that's really nice for gaming).

12. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Don't forget ... that eeePC in my competition has already got the upgraded RAM (upgraded to 1GB) ... plus, you can got to 2gb, if you install XP ... plus, it's an A build, so you can replace the SSD without major hassle ...

13. Beware
    OP

United States
    Really, thebobevil, you are fantastically generous (

14. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Well, enter the competition ... you never know ... you might win ...

15. Beware
    OP

United States
    Just curious, about how many entries have there been other than ScuberSteve's? I know there are people PMing theirs to you (as I will be doing), but I just would like to get an idea of how many people have entered.

16. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    There's only been, so far, about 5 valid entries ... maybe .. give or take ... approximately ... as a rough guess ... or thereabouts ...