Gaming Wi-Fi Home Connection, DSL and Vonage

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help getting my Linksys WRT54G wifi router to work with my Motorola DSL modem and my Vonage Router.... from what I understand it's very difficult to get two routers to work together, how should I go about this?

Filter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sjones900 said:
I need help getting my Linksys WRT54G wifi router to work with my Motorola DSL modem and my Vonage Router.... from what I understand it's very difficult to get two routers to work together, how should I go about this?

Why do you need 2 routers for? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Please give in depth details.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The vonage phone adapter is a router in itself and i;m trying to connect it to my WRT54G wireless router

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Just carve your eyes out. It's much less painful and less frustrating too.

In my case, I have an ADSL router and a compatible secondary router, and I solved my problems using PPPoE passthrough.

(And in case you wonder why an expert like me has two routers - the answer is that the connection wouldn't work with dd-wrt otherwise.)

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have sort have done this in the past. My boring story:
I used to live in a college residence that only two had network ports in each room. Having my own room, I had more than 2 network-able devices (server, desktop, laptop, xbox, etc). Anyway, I used a router which was, uncontrollably, behind the school router. Plus this let me use wireless in my room
On-Topic:
The questionableness of two routers aside, it is completely logical to have two routers set up. The biggest step is assigning separate network numbers.

Vonage WAN - Some Internet IP from your ISP (i.e. 213.16.15.14)
Vonage LAN - 192.168.1.1

Linksys WAN - 192.168.1.2 (see where this is going?)
Linksys LAN - 192.168.2.1

Just be sure to plug in the Vonage LAN port to the Linksys WAN port and everything should daisy chain nicely.

Port Forwarding is a little bit more involving when doing this, too... you'll have to do it twice.

Vonage - Port forward your desired ports to the Linksys WAN
i.e. Port 8080 -> 192.168.1.2

Linksys - Port forward your desired ports to the desired host (computer/server/etc)
i.e. Port 8080 -> 192.168.2.16

Your 8080 data will end up travelling like this:
Some User trying 213.16.15.14:8080 on your WAN IP -> Internet Cloud-> Your ISP -> Vonage Device -> Linksys Device -> Your Host

PS: S/he probably wants this to enable wireless in their dwelling while still keeping the vonage device. If that's the case, it might be worthwhile to have your Linksys be the primary router then have the Vonage device connect to the linksys afterwards This way, your computer(s) will only be behind ONE router... making life that much easier.

DSL -> Linksys -> Vonage

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I got it working now... but I couldn't setup the port forwarding but it seems to be working I set my routers' ip to 192.168.0.1 and that was in the range of my dsl modem so i was able to connect then I just plugged my vonage router into one of the 3 remaining ethernet ports I have and well it works.... except I think I may be experience slow downs on the phone causing it to have really bad lag and you can't even understand the person
frown.gif
but I think that may be my internet. We recently upgrade to DSL Elite and now the line outside my home is stressed and causes slow downs, a tech is coming tomorrow to fix it though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?