Wi-Fi cuts "on" and "off"

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by suppachipmunk, Jul 9, 2007.

Jul 9, 2007
  1. suppachipmunk
    OP

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hello all! I have had some problems with my friend's internet. After a short while, the internet cuts off, thus making every device in the house go down.

Here is the set up:
    D-Link DI-624 (DHCP, wifi G with Dynamic Turbo)
    Comcast Cable Modem
    All cabling is RG6 Coxial, Cat5e ethernet.

I already have a degree in computer networking, but this stumps me. The only thing I can think of is either the modem or the router is bad, or his signal from his ISP isnt strong enough. I set up everything with DHCP, the lease expiration time is 28 days I beleive. So that is not the problem. I have the same setup at my house, which is what makes me think it is either his modem or router is bad, or he is not getting a strong enough signal from his ISP. This problem has gone on for about 6 months now, and we have had comcast come out and strengthen the signal, and install an amplifier in the attic.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I wasnt sure if I was the only one who has experienced this.

2. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    can i suggest turning OFF that 'turbo' feature. from my [linksys] experience with 'speedbooster' that very small speed increase is not worth more stability problems

3. suppachipmunk
    OP

United States
    OK, thanks. I will give it a try today when I get over there and report back tonight.

4. suppachipmunk
    OP

United States
    Thanks Sick Wario. I think that might have solved the problem. I changed the router to Super G without Turbo. Everything seems to go smoothly so far. We are going to do more extensive testing on XBOX live today to see what happens.