Hacking Why you don't need to be afraid of a vWii Update

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All that post is is hopping on a fanwagon. I'm starting to feel like this forum is almost an equivalent if se7ensins.

And now you don't know what you're talking about because you didn't even understand the post you quoted.

Did you not read the post I made that was literally right above yours?

I'm done with this thread because it's just slowly turning into flaming.

You can have your opinions and i'll have mine. If the vWii ever sees a firmware update you can laugh at this post, but, until then i'll consider mine right and you can consider his right.

As if you know more about the Wii U than Marcan, ocbd or Megazig do.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for one don't double post. Two there's no reason to get into a huge rant about the same thing i'm talking about. You truly don't know a whole lot about console modification nor emulation. Go google the definiton, regardless of what you're trying to say no matter what vWii is emulating a Wii OS. Period. Alongside virtualization. It is technologically impossible to update the vWii without deleting the entire process itself and re-downloading it with whatever update Nintendo patched it with. Go to college and learn some computing before you try to tell someone the way something works instead of using most likely internet-gained logic.

EDIT: No, Nintendo can't. The firmware is locked

I've already graduated college twice and almost have my PhD. Nintendo has the keys. Nothing is locked to them. If they wanted, they could just run code to patch the bits directly. Where did your crazy ideas come from?

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They could, but it's not likely I would think.

Right, not likely but possible. That guy keeps calling the system menu firmware, and acting like its real firmware. It isn't firmware at all. Some people just like to call it that. He thinks the system menu is like the firmware on a DVD drive. I'm not a Wii export, but when someone like Marcan makes a post, I listen. He's talking about college classes too. There is no such thing as a college class on the internal workings of a Wii U. He's probably like a sophmore, maybe a junior. No one really understands anything until the graduate level.

Reactions: the_randomizer

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
That guy keeps calling the system menu firmware, and acting like its real firmware. It isn't firmware at all.
Right, it's just a title. It's no more firmware than the Mii or Shop Channel is firmware.

This is perhaps an oversimplification of things, but it should give you an idea how things run on a Wii/vWii: Each title (games, Wiiware, VC, the System Menu, etc.) runs on an IOS. The IOS has drives for hardware and provides low level access. The Wii/vWii has several IOS/IOS's (plural form is just preference). A new IOS is generally released when a title comes out that doesn't run perfectly on an existing IOS, especially if new hardware is introduced (IOS57 came out with drivers for a headset). The advantage of having multiple IOS's is that you can run a title on one IOS without worrying about breaking compatibility with old titles.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All that post is is hopping on a fanwagon.
i won't even attempt to debate you on your knowledge of the inner workings of the vwii, because i have no idea who you are or where you came from…but if you think you can come in here and accuse Ray Lewis and the_randomizer of jumping on bandwagons or riding on coattails, well, then, my friend, i'll at least give you the benefit of the doubt.

Ratmonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
^^I would like to submit my vote for the "post of the day" award. OncleJulien please feel free to take a victory lap around the room. You deserve it big guy. I actually chucked.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is a very low criteria for a bandwagon. Agreeing with a person who hates my guts? I was trying to turn over a new leaf. Edit: Oncle, you ever watch South Park? Lol, some may get the uncle joke.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people are concerned about updating their Wii U and it bricking their vWii. That's not going to happen and here's why:

vWii is "essentially" a Wii but not to it's entirety. The vWii is a built in emulator, just like how the original Xbox 360 came with a built in Xbox emulator same with the original PS3 although to an extent this is a full-blown emulator not just backwards compatibility. The main reason i'm talking about that is because like an emulator on a PC you'd have to manually update it. When updating a Wii U you're not updating the vWii. The vWii cannot be downgraded (It would take a substantial amount of time and effort to figure out a way to because the way of doing so would be entirely different than how you downgrade a regular Wii) and cannot be updated because like I stated, in essence it can't be updated through the emulator and for the Wii U to update it it would technically have to delete it and re-download the entire thing. Now new models of the Wii U could technically have an updated version of the vWii but the probability of that happening is extremely, extremely slim. If you already have your vWii homebrewed you're absolutely fine. The only way you're going to brick your vWii is if you screw it up yourself. Just wanted to put that put there. I come to these forums often to get my softmodding/hacking/whatever done and decided to start posting on here and came across a few threads about this.
My god you are an idiot, you are the reason people call this site gbafail.
Please stop this nonsense.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sage left, lol. Sent a pm and he likely won't be back.
Oh I'm sorry, DHG Sage Gaara, were you trying to communicate? I was too busy not giving a damn about your "irrefutable" claims and "infallible" knowledge.

Weird, 4444 posts. :blink:
Too much time posting, lmfao. Chasing band wagons to jump onto. Seemed delayed also as he is long gone. Seemed over then I see your flaming. Like using flame thrower on a dead carcass? Ts should make a dupe account to start over. Just be sure to use vpn/proxy;-) Maybe type differently like in ibonics also. Never mention this topic again ts. Wait...that sounds familiar, roflmao.

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're all wrong (even megazig).

It's not emulation. It's not virtualization. It's not a sandbox. It's not a hardware compatibility layer.

It's complicated.

The CPU is non-transparently/dynamically sandboxed (ancast nandloader). The Starlet is partially sandboxed (but not fully, some mostly useless bits of Wii U hardware still work). The WiFi is totally incompatible - that driver is just different in vWii IOS to make it work. The drive interface has a hardware compatibility layer. GX (GPU) is somewhere between a hardware compatibility layer and a totally separate GPU (not yet completely clear). Some resources, like RAM, are just sandboxed/limited. The audio hardware is mostly the same. VI video output/modesetting is actually emulated by a dedicated emulation microcontroller (also configures upscaling) and it's actually limited compared to a real Wii. Some things, like USB, are just upwards compatible (the Wii U USB controller has 4 ports instead of 2, and the IOS driver is perfectly happy using all 4 since it has them). The secret keys are sandboxed (vWii only sees Wii keys). And vWii updates are completely done and controlled from Wii U mode (vWii mode doesn't even have the keys to install vWii system titles).

Nintendo can do whatever they want to vWii mode via Wii U updates. Period. Whether they actually will is another matter (personally I think it's quite likely they'll never care).

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
So say that we got homebrew running on the Wii U side and had the keys for signing a title (are they different for each Wii U?). Could you then install an IOS from NUS?

Edit: I can't even be sure that the above makes sense, as I'm still unclear what is so different about the install process other than the fact that it's done from the Wii U side.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool