Why Would Some Games Work and Others Not?

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Iyouboushi, Aug 22, 2008.

Aug 22, 2008
  1. Iyouboushi
    OP

Newcomer Iyouboushi Newbie

United States
    A friend of mine recently had a house fire (everyone's okay) and lost his old DS and network equipment. He has since replaced them all but has discovered that the wifi doesn't seem to be working anymore with official Nintendo games (Tetris DS, Mario Kart DS, Metroid Prime Hunters). However, other, 3rd party, games work just fine (Final Fantasy 3, YGO GX, etc).

We're trying to figure out why.

A few people are thinking it's ports but none of us know how to check to see if it's actually trying to access a blocked port via the router. He doesn't have any software firewalls running so I don't think it's that.

He's also tried completely removing the wifi from the games so that it generates a new ID and FC but that didn't help either. Still won't connect.

Thanks for any help in fixing this. I really want to play some Tetris with him. @_@

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    the router must be:
    802.11b (or b/g mode)
    no encryption, or 64/128 wep encryption
    channel 1, 6 or 11
    public broadcast of ssid turned on and a valid ssid entered

if using wep make sure the key is entered into the nds. deleting the router info in the nds and letting it find the network is a good idea as well.

also the back of the nds has a 1800 number, they provide free tech support. worth a try - although they might not be able to help with specific routers.

you need no port forwarding for the nds.

-another world

3. Iyouboushi
    OP

United States
    Yeah. He reassured me that it's on channel 1 right now, wep-open, 802.11b/g, ssid on and entered right.

Like I said, 3rd party games work just fine. It's the official Nintendo games that won't connect. It's being selective.

4. Another World

Colombia
    try a different channel. delete the info and let the nds find the network again. set a new wep key and reenter it, or turn off wep. if you are using a flash kit make sure you have the latest firmware, and that your kit is tweaked out for wifi.

there is no reason why a 1st part or a 3rd party game would act differently. this is either a problem with the nds settings, the router settings, or the wifi aeriel inside the nds.

-another world

5. Iyouboushi
    OP

United States
    He's tried changing channels, resetting the router, trying a new key, removing all the settings in the NDS, the wifi settings in the NDS....

nothing is working.

I just don't get it.

6. Another World

Colombia
    you need to debug more.

take the ds to a hotspot with free wifi and test the same games/roms.
    use a different ds on the router and test the same games/roms.
    try different flash kits and test the same games/roms.

trying to debug with the same circumstances isn't going to work, you won't ever figure out what it is.

-another world