Hacking Why would anyone want a Gateway instead of a Sky3DS or CFW?

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Because its perfect for those who only care to play 3ds games, thats it. Load a rom and play. People need to understand what each item offers, the level of use and understanding.
No it's not. Sky3DS doesn't allow out-of region games for example (oh yeah, boot Cubic Ninja to go to HBL then change the game and boot it through HANS, not sure it still works but even if it does it's really a perfect example of "load a rom and play" anyway, right ?), and last I checked, it didn't allow patched games either (so you can forget twice about the translated MHX).

Plus, you care about playing, but maybe you care about playing online (because "playing Triforce Heroes" is usually online for instance). And this needs private header injection, which is not only completely annoying but also stupidly incoherent since now, in order to get free games (the only feature the Sky3DS supposedly gives), you paid $100 for the flashcart and you also buy games to get headers for other games you don't buy. This is ridiculous.

Gateway however is more perfect from that point of vue. Because same, "load a rom and play" works, except that here it does work with the MHX translation, and if you ever need that online, you can just convert it into a cia without paying anything. So pirates find what they want, and other people too since you can get homebrew and stuff really easily on your low sysNAND firmware.
Then yeah, CFWs are "annoying" due to the lack of .3ds, but that's what I said, you can debate about GW vs CFW...

Not about a digital route, its about knowing how to use each item. I can go the CFW route if I had wanted it but because there are other members in my family who like to "touch" my system I have to give them a route easy to use, I had to restore my system twice already with hardmod.
Well, right now, you can set up a9lh and have a CFW at boot as fast as an untouched sysNAND with 100% success rate and 0% chance for your family to screw up anything...
The route is probably not easy for you but completely easy to use for them (boot and play, and you even have folders and stuff instead of having to press a button sixty times).

dragonkid6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered my Sky3ds+ b4 downgrading support was added to 10.6. It arrived after the public release, but was worth it. I downgraded my GF's o3ds and put autobot emunand on it then installed some games, and I spent 2 days figuring out private headers to get on so I wouldn't have to downgrade my n3ds just yet. 64gb microSD holds a lot of games, I was even able to copy over my online games save data to the flashcard and keep all my data.

Osga21

Full Time Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Idk, it's cheaper and allows for cfw? It's kind of future proof if your system remains on low enough cfw. Either ways, you don't see too many people buying gateways anymore...

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Gateway has been supported going on three years, in that time it's had at least 35 updates (Gateway Updates Info) in that time you have NEVER been required to ever purchase a new flashcard, unlike Sky3DS... Gateway have released more updates than any mobile phone manufacturer has for a much more expensive phone, even recently adding new features like the cheat engine.

People here seem to hate them, however Gateway we're the only ones to release anything for the 3DS hacking scene for a very long time. Sure Gateway is not as relevant today thanks to custom firmware, however they get my respect for been the first to do a lot in the past and supporting their flash card for going on three years.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People seem to hate the brick code but I bet half of them weren't even part of it, just using it as a reason for no damn reason.

As stated, buy what you want use what you want.

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it really take you guys 30min to install a CIA? Cause something is wrong there. On my n3DS it only took about two minutes to install Pokémon SMD via FBI. It took longer to transfer via FTP then it did to install. That game is about 2GB too...

trigao

Ninten
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As a gateway user, im really happy with it
i want to get into cfw world but the true is i have fear to do something wrong(even though i have nand backups and stuff)
And im so lazy.... Every tutorial from rxtools have a bunch of steps, firmware.bin this, fbi that

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
As a gateway user, im really happy with it
i want to get into cfw world but the true is i have fear to do something wrong(even though i have nand backups and stuff)
And im so lazy.... Every tutorial from rxtools have a bunch of steps, firmware.bin this, fbi that
You can't do anything wrong if you only setup a CFW on menuhax (and your Gateway should already be on menuhax if you're not living in 2014).
Then, I agree that the firmware stuff is really annoying with rxTools, that's why you should use easier alternatives like AuReiNand instead (copy paste files on your SD card, copy paste other files, ok you're done, no need to launch python scripts, no need to do a first setup through browserhax, etc).
And the "FBI" part doesn't apply. You have a Gateway, you can install a cia manager on your emuNAND/sysNAND using a cia manager on your red cart.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
But of course anyone that did make a point to keep their 3DS's on 4.* are screwed, right? :whip:
Nope. If people can downgrade, you can imagine they can upgrade too :P
Plus, you even have official alternatives like updating from a cartridge. Not always a good idea though since it doesn't update the browser (and then you have problems accessing homebrew to install stuff).

WallK

Get off my lawn
Trophies
XP
Country
GW = ease of use.
CFW = boot this/boot that/cold boot my dick, convert cia's, install cia's, don't like cia, uninstall cia
sky3ds = locate header, buy header off ebay, get screwed because you thought you bought a private header but was sold to multiple people, buy your own card, have someone pull header and hope to god the guy pulling the header doesn't keep one for himself, get screwed again, finally got private header but have no luck inputting new header, finally input new header and come to find out sky3ds made new card to battle encyption, buy new sky3ds+.

Buy what you want or use what you want,
I used my header just once before downgrade thing became reality. Still, I used sky3ds a lot offline and managed to sell it for a good price just before plus came out. Anyone wants a header?

WallK

Get off my lawn
Trophies
XP
Country
Gateway has been supported going on three years, in that time it's had at least 35 updates (Gateway Updates Info) in that time you have NEVER been required to ever purchase a new flashcard, unlike Sky3DS... Gateway have released more updates than any mobile phone manufacturer has for a much more expensive phone, even recently adding new features like the cheat engine.

People here seem to hate them, however Gateway we're the only ones to release anything for the 3DS hacking scene for a very long time. Sure Gateway is not as relevant today thanks to custom firmware, however they get my respect for been the first to do a lot in the past and supporting their flash card for going on three years.
Hey, my phone updates every friday. And the old one, more than 3 years old still got updates.
They fix things and add new features.

trigao

Ninten
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You can't do anything wrong if you only setup a CFW on menuhax (and your Gateway should already be on menuhax if you're not living in 2014).
Then, I agree that the firmware stuff is really annoying with rxTools, that's why you should use easier alternatives like AuReiNand instead (copy paste files on your SD card, copy paste other files, ok you're done, no need to launch python scripts, no need to do a first setup through browserhax, etc).
And the "FBI" part doesn't apply. You have a Gateway, you can install a cia manager on your emuNAND/sysNAND using a cia manager on your red cart.

aureinand are compatible with gba em dsiware games?
i just want rxtools because of that... if there another way.... please tell me

nedron92

Trophies
Website
www.github.com
XP
Country
Germany
In my opinion, gateway is not obsolete!
I have a Sky3DS+, a Gateway and rxtools3 as a CFW.
Gateway is better as Sky3ds+ (if you are on a Sysnand <=9.2, and in near future <=10.3), because of better rom compatibility and cheat support (I had non-modified .3ds/.3dz files that working on my gateway but not on the Sky3ds+).
A CFW is a very good free alternative of a flashcart yes, but not, if you dont want install any game to your emunand! (Games I like to play often I had installed as a cia, but if I only dump my retail games, i dont want to install it - its only a backup for playing in holidays or sth like that, so a flashcart is here a better solution, in my opinion). I have a 32GB µSD for my internal storage and it is a fast one (copies 2GB from PC to Card and otherwise round in nearly 1 min), but it takes a very long time to install it on my O3DS (up to 10 mins and more, best example is Hyrule Warriors in my Case). And a disadvantage of .cias/CFW is, that you need (for install) twice as much space (4GB for a 2GB game, and if you have a 8GB card, that is a hell...i know it too good -.-, before I buyed the bigger one).
So, in conclusion - if you don't want install any (shit) game to you internal storage, then a flashcart is an good point (in combination with an cfw ;) ). I used both often (my Gateway and my CFW - the biggest games are on my gateway to safe storage on my internal SD, some big games and mostly the little games are directly installed, with some exceptions).

Thats only my opinion yes, but don't say that flashcarts in general are obsolete now - they aren't ^^.

Reactions: cvskid

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Hey, my phone updates every friday. And the old one, more than 3 years old still got updates.
They fix things and add new features.

I'm guessing you mean the apps on your phone? I was talking about system updates such as new versions of Android or Windows Mobile. Unless your running something like the CyanogenMod nightly builds no phone gets system updates every week.

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aureinand are compatible with gba em dsiware games?
i just want rxtools because of that... if there another way.... please tell me
Yes it is.
I'm guessing you mean the apps on your phone? I was talking about system updates such as new versions of Android or Windows Mobile. Unless your running something like the CyanogenMod nightly builds no phone gets system updates every week.
Nexus line.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-