Hacking Why would anyone want a Gateway instead of a Sky3DS or CFW?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Lol. All of what you can do on a gateway can be done for free with homebrew/cfw.
Can't wait for this to be EOF'ed.
I also got my 64gb uhs3 sdxc card for about 30 bucks.
You're quoting me out of context. I was responding to somebody who was questioning whether people would spend extra for a UHS3 card for faster installation.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i have a gateway, but i dont use it now because of a9hl. A9hl, Reinand, and NTR all in one makes me feel like the gateway isnt worth anything now. That and the fact that it doesnt work with a9hl xD

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i have a gateway, but i dont use it now because of a9hl. A9hl, Reinand, and NTR all in one makes me feel like the gateway isnt worth anything now. That and the fact that it doesnt work with a9hl xD
Someone with sense! I am glad one actually understands the concept of cfw has more benefits than a gateway. NTR can do the cheats, you can convert 3ds/3dz into CIA easily, and do it all for free. I wish a mod could close this thread before I work up a sh*tstorm over cfw v. Gateway.
Plus, in order to install a game with gateway, you have to wait for it to be copied. With cfw, it takes just as much time for using features like network installs.

Last edited by seijinshu,

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use Gateway with A9LH if you have a 9.2 emunand booted with a firmware90.bin

Reactions: stl25

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Someone with sense! I am glad one actually understands the concept of cfw has more benefits than a gateway. NTR can do the cheats, you can convert 3ds/3dz into CIA easily, and do it all for free. I wish a mod could close this thread before I work up a sh*tstorm over cfw v. Gateway.
Gateways cheats are a hundred times better than using NTR. If you don't have experience using Gateway then you shouldn't be commenting about whether it's worthwhile having or not.

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateways cheats are a hundred times better than using NTR. If you don't have experience using Gateway then you shouldn't be commenting about whether it's worthwhile having or not.
Would you pay 100 bucks for free games? Or would you pay nothing and get the same benefits?
Especially one who would get little to no money like me (100 bucks a year...)
My SD card was only 30 bucks. Much cheaper than gateway, plus I originally planned to use it as a hackintosh installation for my chromebook.

Plus, why support a company that made a buggy brick code to prevent people to run gateway software on other carts?

Last edited by seijinshu,

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who is paying $100 for a gateway 3ds??? Cheapest i have seen them is about $60 new. Also depending on the situation you do have to pay for free games.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Would you pay 100 bucks for free games? Or would you pay nothing and get the same benefits?
Especially one who would get little to no money like me (100 bucks a year...)
My SD card was only 30 bucks. Much cheaper than gateway, plus I originally planned to use it as a hackintosh installation for my chromebook.

Plus, why support a company that made a buggy brick code to prevent people to run gateway software on other carts?
The point is, the benefits are NOT the same. Just because you put little value in them, doesn't mean someone else doesn't. If someone has a $500,000 car, I personally think that is the biggest waste of money ever and if I had that money I would rather buy a $10,000 car and spend the rest on a house, but I don't go up to the owners of those sorts of cars and tell them they're idiots. They appreciate the slight extra comfort you get going from a $400,000 car to a $500,000 car and are willing to spend the money to get it. Just because I wouldn't want it, doesn't make it a wrong decision for THEM.

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point is, the benefits are NOT the same. Just because you put little value in them, doesn't mean someone else doesn't. If someone has a $500,000 car, I personally think that is the biggest waste of money ever and if I had that money I would rather buy a $10,000 car and spend the rest on a house, but I don't go up to the owners of those sorts of cars and tell them they're idiots. They appreciate the slight extra comfort you get going from a $400,000 car to a $500,000 car and are willing to spend the money to get it. Just because I wouldn't want it, doesn't make it a wrong decision for THEM.
uhg. Opinion is always the issue. Wish the US would ban closed source garbage. Will it happen? I doubt it. We are too capitalist. See? My opinion. OP, do what you want. From a high school kid's view, go CFW.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GW = ease of use.
CFW = boot this/boot that/cold boot my dick, convert cia's, install cia's, don't like cia, uninstall cia
sky3ds = locate header, buy header off ebay, get screwed because you thought you bought a private header but was sold to multiple people, buy your own card, have someone pull header and hope to god the guy pulling the header doesn't keep one for himself, get screwed again, finally got private header but have no luck inputting new header, finally input new header and come to find out sky3ds made new card to battle encyption, buy new sky3ds+.

Buy what you want or use what you want,

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does vc/dsi/gba work on gateway cfw?
never tried it but i think that is the only downside of a gateway.

That is the only downside I see, GW's emunand can load unsign cia's and is region free for roms. With the ability to load unsign cia's its homebrew homebound. GW now has a cheat function that you can use with roms and cia's.

Again, buy what you want, use what you want.

longxa762

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This maybe off topic but I have a Gateway and o3ds on 4.5, which CFW should I install? I'm noob to all this technology

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I assume most of you are still in school or studying and what you have as a near infinite ressource is time. Some of us are in the unfortunate position of having to work to earn a living and value not having to waste time on CIA conversion and installation. I'd rather spend 60 USD on a Gateway again (if I didn't already own a Gateway since it was a thing) than wasting my time on everything involved with CIA conversion. Mind you, I'm not too lazy for all that, I tried it, know how it works, I love experimenting and I have various CFWs set up on my 3DSs, but I just have no interest in jumping through hoops and wait god knows how long every time I just want to play a new game. 60 USD is a small price to pay for the convenience, in my opinion. Plus I buy the games I like, anyways. When money is not an issue the convenience wins.

Last edited by enarky,

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use Gateway with A9LH if you have a 9.2 emunand booted with a firmware90.bin
Well my emunand is updated to 10.7 and i dont really want to switch my nands. I did hear that was a thing, but I still feel that my setup blows away from gateway. Even when I first got my gateway it just felt weird to me. Im not saying its bad, im just saying i prefer cfw woth ntr.

You can convert gateway cheats to ntr anyways. They both work the same. And I know you werent talking to me, but I have used the gateway for most of my emunand lifetime, heck i used gateway to make my emunand and i still have that. They both have their advantages, but some people just prefer digital over physical.

GW = ease of use.
CFW = boot this/boot that/cold boot my dick, convert cia's, install cia's, don't like cia, uninstall cia
sky3ds = locate header, buy header off ebay, get screwed because you thought you bought a private header but was sold to multiple people, buy your own card, have someone pull header and hope to god the guy pulling the header doesn't keep one for himself, get screwed again, finally got private header but have no luck inputting new header, finally input new header and come to find out sky3ds made new card to battle encyption, buy new sky3ds+.

Buy what you want or use what you want,
See even saying gateway is easy to use, i find it that people may be just lazy to take the full digital route. Im not saying all are, but some just dont want to take the time to use cias. And since a9hl came out, booting emunand is quite faster than gateway so i see that as a plus. And with installing cias, i can install it and if i dont like it i dont have to take my sd card out of my gateway and put it into my pc to delete it (maybe that changed). I like having all digital games. Even if you can just have all of them on a gateway menu, to even run them online you still need a private header :/ so you cant argue against sky3ds with that bc you need it as well.

Reactions: saikorican

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oj did the Dj