Hacking Why would anyone want a Gateway instead of a Sky3DS or CFW?

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I really don't know. the .3ds format is pointless when you can easily convert them into cia. Plus, CFW is free. You can also use cheat w/ CFW (bootNTR.cia), therefore, the comment above is pointless. Plus cia files are not a hassle compared to .3ds/.3dz, as you don't have to deal with headers.
it take a shitload of time to install a cia, it take 5min to modify your header ith one of your games's and copy it to the µSD card...

Reactions: Queno138

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sigh...

I have a Sky3DS+ that I bought before downgrading was a thing, and it arrived after. I decided to keep it anyway. for offline-only games, and if I want to check some things out, throwing a .3ds-form rom onto its microsd is so much quicker than installing a CIA file for it.
it take a shitload of time to install a cia, it take 5min to modify your header ith one of your games's and copy it to the µSD card...
yes but you don't need private headers for CIA-form games. aren't headers specific to a single game? apparently not, I've never played with headers

Last edited by ihaveahax,
D

Deleted User

sigh...

I have a Sky3DS+ that I bought before downgrading was a thing, and it arrived after. I decided to keep it anyway. for offline-only games, and if I want to check some things out, throwing a .3ds-form rom onto its microsd is so much quicker than installing a CIA file for it.
Which is why I kinda wish I had some extra cash to buy a Gateway.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sigh...

yes but you don't need private headers for CIA-form games. aren't headers specific to a single game?
No you can inject the same header to all your games

Reactions: ihaveahax

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sky3ds .3ds/.3dz but no .cia
cfw .cia but no .3ds/.3dz (plus other cfw specific features)
gateway both (plus gateway specific cheat feature)
gateway + cfw best
Oh. That's it?

Thanks for the brevity. That's all I wanted to know, really. I thought Gateway users had access to even more homebrew opportunities than CFW users did.

Last edited by Pluupy,

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either my perception of time is waaay more off than I thought it was initially or my SD card is shit.
Took me what felt like 20+ minutes.
Maybe it is my perception of time being really off (valid point) or that my SD card is way faster than yours (which could also be true, but the first choice is probably more valid). It differs with different hardware and people, so it may differ.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh. That's it?

Thanks for the brevity. That's all I wanted to know, really. I thought Gateway users had access to even more homebrew opportunities than CFW users did.
no. the only good thing about gateway is it's relatively easier to put a new game than cfw
other than that, cfw have more features

that's why i said gateway + cfw is the best :)

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no. the only good thing about gateway is it's relatively easier to put a new game than cfw
other than that, cfw have more features

that's why i said gateway + cfw is the best :)
and majority of CFW is open source. So if you are the FOSS freak like me, then CFW is the way to go.

Reactions: Nightwish

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IF you don't have a lot of time AND you don't mind spending the money (recently quit smoking, etc.) THEN it's still nice to have a GW cart. It also helps a bit that the .3ds storage space is on an internal microSD separate from your regular SD card.
A Sky3DS is nice so you can load CubicNinja on it. Would I buy a GW cart today? Probably, but not 100% certain. But it would be near 0% if someone creates a cart emulator /.3ds plugin.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol. Agreed. My comment above explains it all. Mods, close this thread please.

Cheating with Gateway is a LOT simpler than using NTR. Gateway's cheat system is nearly identical to the GameShark/ActionReplay system that most people are familiar with. Cheating with NTR requires the knowledge and tools for creating ram dumps and comparing them manually, as well as creating the cheat.plg file.

Creating a new cheat with Gateway:

1.) Boot Gateway and load the game.
2.) Create a new search for a value.
3.) Do something in game to alter the value.
4.) Search for the updated value.
5.) Repeat steps 3 & 4 to narrow down the possible addresses.
6.) Edit the value at an address to test.
7.) If the address is good, add it to a [titleid].txt file and place the file in a folder called "cheats" on the gateway micro sd card.
8.) Continue playing.

Creating a new cheat with NTR:

1.) Boot NTR and load the game.
2.) Launch the debugger on your pc.
3.) Locate the game's process id.
4.) Dump fcram at a common offset.
5.) Change the value in the game.
6.) Dump fcram again and compare to the old dump to locate changes that match.
7.) Repeat steps 5 & 6 to narrow down possible addresses.
8.) Use the debugger to write a new value to an address you want to change.
9.) if the address is good, write it down.
10.) Download a program to create cheat.plg files.
11.) Use the program to create a cheat.plg file for your game using the new address write you located.
12.) Quit game and access a tool to copy data to the sd card from your pc.
13.) Copy the cheat.plg file to the proper folder.
14.) Reboot the 3ds.
15.) Boot NTR and load the game.
16.) Activate the cheat and continue playing.

This is why people would want a Gateway cart. Until such time as someone creates a homebrew solution to enable real time editing of fcram (looking at you Smealum), I will continue to use my Gateway cart to handle cheats and will continue to recommend it over NTR for cheating.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
cfw .cia but no .3ds/.3dz (plus other cfw specific features)

Ermm is it me or am i the only one seeing the flaw with this sentence

Also having to use.3ds/.3dz should be seen as a disadvantage due to the fact you require a hardware button to swap files there is literally no advantage for it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-