jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
This is just mainly speculation and if its been said before sorry but i was thinking are all SD cards use FAT file system and does the Wii only allow FAT32 SD cards because im pretty sure the maxium capicty of a file of a FAT file structure can oonly be 4gig and thats why we wouldnt be able to fit a wii games on a SD card to run from the SD slot.

Correct me if im wrong...just curious.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
games can certainly be trimmed..
for example the Wii Sports iso is 4.2 GB.. do you really think the game uses all 4.2 GB?
if a Wii SD loader is created then the games will probably need to be trimmed...

Presto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is just mainly speculation and if its been said before sorry but i was thinking are all SD cards use FAT file system and does the Wii only allow FAT32 SD cards because im pretty sure the maxium capicty of a file of a FAT file structure can oonly be 4gig and thats why we wouldnt be able to fit a wii games on a SD card to run from the SD slot.

call me crazy but why would you want to run a wii game from the SD card to me a blank dvd is alot cheaper than a 4 gig sd card

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt it will ever happen now it's possible to play backups via DVD, but if it did, I'm sure it will eventually be possible to trim some dummy data from ISOs and/or music/FMVs just like every console before it...

jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Im just saying if the hack was ever made. Its all theoritical(sp?) anyways, im not talking bout the max size of a sd card im talking bout max size of a file on a sd card so say an 8gig sd card couldnt hold one 1 single file thats larger than 4 gig.

Only just saw the posts above me, fair enough but wouldnt trimming the files break the encryption on the iso?

Presto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Im just saying if the hack was ever made. Its all theoritical(sp?) anyways, im not talking bout the max size of a sd card im talking bout max size of a file on a sd card so say an 8gig sd card couldnt hold one 1 single file thats larger than 4 gig.

Only just saw the posts above me, fair enough but wouldnt trimming the files break the encryption on the iso?

i bet homebrew will help fix this if you wanted to

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

you can format an sd card with whatever file system you want, FAT or FAT32

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I may have misunderstood you, but SD cards allow for the FAT32 filesystem. And SD cards would probably come in more useful for people who don't wanna mod their wii, so that their games could run backups via SD card exploit instead of having to open their wii and void their warranty and such.

jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Yeh but what im saying you cant put a file larger than 4GB on a FAt/Fat32 file structure drive? I mean i had an external HDD that was one of the 2 and i tried unrarring a Wii ISO and it said cannot support files larger than 4gb. Maybe its me talking rubbish.

apprt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dunno about FAT but FAT32 has a maximum of 8GB every partition and a max file size of 4.294.967.295 Bytes

FAT32 has a much larger limit than 8gb every partition. Windows/Microsoft restricted it to 32GB but Partitionmagic can make a partition of approximately 127GB. It technically could go even larger on XP/Linux machines, but no program seems to support that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: where are my cute girls