Why was PS2 inferior to Xbox and GameCube?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 1,637
  • Replies 7
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
If we take for example, Killer 7 the GameCube version was vastly superior in that it had quick loading times, better framerate and smoother gameplay whereas the PS2 version was the opposite of all this. It just makes me wonder why Sony's PlayStation 2 couldn't have its ports as good as Xbox or GameCube?

PS2 had DVD which allowed games to store up to 7GB or so whereas GC's limited to Mini-DVDs with only 1.50GB or around that. I'm not sure how graphically superior either one of them were but PS2 couldn't have been that inferior! Oh, and the PS2 controller had four shoulder buttons (digital triggers obviously) whilst GC had three (well, 2 analogue triggers + 1 shoulder button) and Xbox had two (analogue triggers + black/white buttons).

So yeah, someone that knows about this tech stuff please reply as it's something I've always wondered.

Thanks.

ThePanchamBros

Hates the Undertale Fandom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we take for example, Killer 7 the GameCube version was vastly superior in that it had quick loading times, better framerate and smoother gameplay whereas the PS2 version was the opposite of all this. It just makes me wonder why Sony's PlayStation 2 couldn't have its ports as good as Xbox or GameCube?

PS2 had DVD which allowed games to store up to 7GB or so whereas GC's limited to Mini-DVDs with only 1.50GB or around that. I'm not sure how graphically superior either one of them were but PS2 couldn't have been that inferior! Oh, and the PS2 controller had four shoulder buttons (digital triggers obviously) whilst GC had three (well, 2 analogue triggers + 1 shoulder button) and Xbox had two (analogue triggers + black/white buttons).

So yeah, someone that knows about this tech stuff please reply as it's something I've always wondered.

Thanks.
Duh....Because, reasons.

omegasoul6

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Both the Gamecube and the Xbox were vastly superior in terms of power.

The PS2 was 6.2 GFlops, the Gamecube was 10.5 GFlops, and the Xbox was a whopping 120 GFlops.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like regie said, it not about flops, its about content like final fantasy and gran turimo, dragon warrior

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, of course the PS2 was going to be weaker.
It was released way before than the other two.
Also, of the three, the PS2 had the more complicated architecture, and making good games for it was more difficult.
The only reasons it dominated the market were an early release, the ability to play DVD movies, and a strong brand. Regarding power it was way below.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
The PS2 was a baby PS3.

That is to say, it has a complex architecture like the non-standard MIPS64 CPU/EE (no 64-bit floating point support, short-loop bug), the VUs (one is connected to EE, another is connected to GS), the slow as f**k IOP (the IOP is too slow to handle FireWire interrupts at full speed), USB 1.1 (again, the IOP is too slow to handle USB 2.0), the HDD and Firewire removed from the slim models, not enough RAM to store a 1080P framebuffer, the GS is a piece of s**t.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-