Hacking Why was DIOS MIO(S) abandoned?

snowmanman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually abandon looking at Wii homebrew stuff for awhile so I can come back later and see all that has progressed in the few months I was away. This time I came back and was astounded to see DIOS MIOS, a USB loader for GC games. After some more searching I was able to ascertain that this incredible project was discontinued.

Does anyone know why this happened? And is there any hope for the future about someone working on a similar project?

EDIT: Sorry if this gets asked a lot, I didn't see anything else on the search.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Why? Because it was a dead end, and would never truly work. It patched the games so that they could work, and still no game worked 100%. It wasn't going anywhere, afaik. Now please stop asking for your damn GC USB-Loader, it won't happen. Get a WODE/Sundriver for GC USB-Loading, or leave it.

You can also get an SDGecko and an Ide-Exi Adapter and use Swiss. Not USB-Loading, but you load from a HD. Maybe it even can get modified to use the SD Slot from the Wii, making any other hardware not needed (though, I wouldn't count on it). SD-Loading seems to have a Future...

siliconmessiah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There were apparently a lot of reasons.
As I am a beginner when it comes to wii-hacking, I don´t have the correct terms, somone else may fill in if they like.
But I remember it had something to do with when the Wii goes into GC mode, it also turns off all possibilites of using the machines USB-ports = Not at all, never ever possible to load anything from the USB.

But you arrive in a time when better-compatibility GC-gaming on Wii is seemingly coming closer than ever before. Not by USB, but by SD.
Check out this thread.

http://gbatemp.net/t275370-swiss-announced...ssor-of-sd-boot

snowmanman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
Why? Because it was a dead end, and would never truly work.

Now please stop asking for your damn GC USB-Loader. Get a WODE/Sundriver for GC SB-Loading, or leave it.

You can also get an SDGecko and an Ide-Exi Adapter and use Swiss. Maybe it even can get modified to use the Front-SD Slot from the Wii, making any other hardware not needed (Though, I wouldn't count on it).

No need to be a dick I was just asking what happened. And from what I understand it could eventually work, it would just take a lot of coding.

QUOTE(siliconmessiah @ Feb 6 2011, 07:58 PM) There were apparently a lot of reasons.
As I am a beginner when it comes to wii-hacking, I don´t have the correct terms, somone else may fill in if they like.
But I remember it had something to do with when the Wii goes into GC mode, it also turns off all possibilites of using the machines USB-ports = Not at all, never ever possible to load anything from the USB.

But you arrive in a time when better-compatibility GC-gaming on Wii is seemingly coming closer than ever before. Not by USB, but by SD.
Check out this thread.

http://gbatemp.net/t275370-swiss-announced...ssor-of-sd-boot

Thanks for pointing me to this.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Blue-K said:
You can also get an SDGecko and an Ide-Exi Adapter and use Swiss. Not USB-Loading, but you load from a HD. Maybe it even can get modified to use the SD Slot from the Wii, making any other hardware not needed (though, I wouldn't count on it). SD-Loading seems to have a Future...
Erm...I want to make a few remarks, as this sounds a bit overly positive:
1. the Ide-Exi adaptor lets you load from a hard drive, indeed. An IDE hard drive. These aren't that easy to come by (well...not external ones, that is)
2. I can't recall emu-kidid's exact response, but it was either that he never promised anything in that direction, or that it was plainly not going to happen.
3. from what I can tell by the reactions, compatability is mixed at best. Sure, there will most likely be improvements, but at this point, it's just guessing how it'll be. And that streaming audio bug that comes up with every no-disc loading attempt will most likely never be fixed.

Blue-KAnd from what I understand it could eventually work, it would just take a lot of coding.
You understood correctly. The point is: there is barely anyone with the needed knowledge. Add in that that this kind of project takes a lot of time, effort, debugging, testing, re-testing, and all that stuff...then the difference between "it is impossible" and "it is doable but takes a lot of work" is so small that you can just as well say that it's impossible.
(from what I recall, dios mios was mostly a way to prove that it was possible...not an attempt to get it fully working).

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Wever said:
Erm...I want to make a few remarks, as this sounds a bit overly positive:
1. the Ide-Exi adaptor lets you load from a hard drive, indeed. An IDE hard drive. These aren't that easy to come by (well...not external ones, that is)
2. I can't recall emu-kidid's exact response, but it was either that he never promised anything in that direction, or that it was plainly not going to happen.
3. from what I can tell by the reactions, compatability is mixed at best. Sure, there will most likely be improvements, but at this point, it's just guessing how it'll be. And that streaming audio bug that comes up with every no-disc loading attempt will most likely never be fixed.
External IDE, well yeah, that would be a near enough impossibility as an IDE connection is an internal connection. Its not hard to come by IDE hard drives at all, there thousands for sale on ebay. Get a 2.5 laptop IDE hard drive, will only cost a few quid for a few gigs. Yeah its not the prettiest solution, but if you make the ide exi yourself or adapt it to your needs, there is no reason you couldn't make a caddy out of it for example to be able to have it similar to a portable hard drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol