Why vista should have been an expansionpack

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a load of crap. Under the hood, Vista is entirely recoded. Theres no possible way it could have been, or should have been, an XP "expansion pack".

"About security, all I expect an operating system to do is have no holes or exploits in it."

I vote this to be the worst article I've read in a while.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to MS's very good idea of keeping DX10 on Vista, a shitload of hardcore users (most of the people that run a futuremark benchmark are on Vista, see their stats) are using it, who found almost all of the bugs and forced companies to start making good drivers for it.

Vista is insansely secure, no BSODs or viruses since I've been running it (For over 6 months)

It's also faster than XP 32 on my system

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you wanna do something about it... you got a few options,

-go linux --> http://www.ubuntu.com/ or other distros ofcourse
-go Mac OS-> http://www.apple.com/macosx/
-stay...(xp?)-> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...xp/default.mspx
-pirate those people... but it is not their fault that everbody uses their software;)

get a job at microsoft and make a better windows
huh.gif

Saylient_Dreams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gotta agree with Urza, I think you have to know what went into Vista in order to make a final decision. If you make a decision from what people say and screenshots you see, its kinda dumb. I was one of those people who thought Vista was just some fancy looking XP, but I have it now on my laptop (came with it), and I would rather stay on Vista than XP. There's only a few things I hate about Vist (well don't like), just how much the friggin thing costs (400$ is a bit excessive, unless Microsoft is trying to push people to just buying computers which are about that price now these days and come with Vista.), and how strict it is with graphic requirements (I wanted to install it on a 2 year old laptop, but it didn't support the graphics card, and I was trying to install Vista Basic; just wanted some of the perks of Vista that weren't in XP). Just my opinion
smile.gif
Also isn't UAC in Vista kinda similar to how Linux works (I'd say UAC was kinda a mock of how Linux works). I've used Ubuntu (and a couple of its other distros) and everytime I wanted to install something I had to type in some command saying it was alright to do it ("sudo?" then it would ask for the password and stuff), I'm still toying around with Linux, pretty newbish at it
nyanya.gif
. I'm not really annoyed with UAC, it's kinda helpful when you're on the web and some script wants to run an .exe that it downloaded in the background, least you have the option of allowing or denying it, which I think is helpful for the casual user, I myself have it disabled,
nyanya.gif

robi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Disclaimer: I am an avid Linux/BSD user. My laptop is a Macintosh.

Yet, despite all this, I get pissed off when people complain that Vista's memory usage is high. Vista caches many things in your RAM so it doesn't have to constantly pull it off your hard drive, which is much, much slower.

Also, it takes milliseconds to blank the memory so if you to start running a program that requires more memory like Photoshop or a game....the memory will be released and made available.

What the FUCK is the point of having 2 Gigabytes of RAM if your computer rarely uses it?

/rant OVER.

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I've tried vista for several months, and it's wearing me down. I'm no PC noob, but these things just on my nerves. For instance, the mouse cursor will stick from time to time. I'm not sure what it is, but I'll be going around the screen, then it'll pause for 3 seconds. The drive isn't thrashing, the computer isn't doing anything important. Yet, it stalls for a bit. It's not terribly often, but it's annoying when it does happen. The mouse cursor is something they should at least have a handle on in all these years.

But the most annoying feature I haven't been able to figure out is in Windows Explorer, it tries to make a guess on what a directory's contents are, and give you the prettiest (in it's opinion) view it can. The trouble is, it fails miserably. Many, many times it wants to give the view for photos. The columns will have things like "Date Taken," "Rating" for giving stuff 5 stars, width/height/resolution, etc. The trouble is it does it on many, many directories. Some will have nothing but other sub-directories in it, no pictures (or any files) anywhere. I've done all that customizing, apply these settings to every sub-directory, etc. The trouble is that newly created directories are not subject to that, and Vista will do what it wants with them all over again.

I'm not seeing much in Vista to make me want to keep it around. I am due for a good formatting (a Windows annoyance no matter what the version) soon, I'm still up in the air what to put on here next.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

k.

Yet, despite all this, I get pissed off when people complain that Vista's memory usage is high. Vista caches many things in your RAM so it doesn't have to constantly pull it off your hard drive, which is much, much slower.

Solid State Drives

Also, it takes milliseconds to blank the memory so if you to start running a program that requires more memory like Photoshop or a game....the memory will be released and made available.

I have to agree with that

What the is the point of having 2 Gigabytes of RAM if your computer rarely uses it?

To show your friends your PC kicks ass

/rant OVER.

look at bold

KizunaIatari

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to MS's very good idea of keeping DX10 on Vista, a shitload of hardcore users (most of the people that run a futuremark benchmark are on Vista, see their stats) are using it, who found almost all of the bugs and forced companies to start making good drivers for it.

Vista is insansely secure, no BSODs or viruses since I've been running it (For over 6 months)

It's also faster than XP 32 on my system

Same for me, no problems at all.
laugh.gif

I've tried vista for several months, and it's wearing me down. I'm no PC noob, but these things just on my nerves. For instance, the mouse cursor will stick from time to time. I'm not sure what it is, but I'll be going around the screen, then it'll pause for 3 seconds. The drive isn't thrashing, the computer isn't doing anything important. Yet, it stalls for a bit. It's not terribly often, but it's annoying when it does happen. The mouse cursor is something they should at least have a handle on in all these years.

But the most annoying feature I haven't been able to figure out is in Windows Explorer, it tries to make a guess on what a directory's contents are, and give you the prettiest (in it's opinion) view it can. The trouble is, it fails miserably. Many, many times it wants to give the view for photos. The columns will have things like "Date Taken," "Rating" for giving stuff 5 stars, width/height/resolution, etc. The trouble is it does it on many, many directories. Some will have nothing but other sub-directories in it, no pictures (or any files) anywhere. I've done all that customizing, apply these settings to every sub-directory, etc. The trouble is that newly created directories are not subject to that, and Vista will do what it wants with them all over again.

I'm not seeing much in Vista to make me want to keep it around. I am due for a good formatting (a Windows annoyance no matter what the version) soon, I'm still up in the air what to put on here next.

I get absolutely none of the aforementioned problems. Maybe its your hardware?
frown.gif

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

k.

Solid State Drives

Which aren't going to be cost effective for a very long time.

What the is the point of having 2 Gigabytes of RAM if your computer rarely uses it?

2gb hasn't been "kick-ass" for at least a year.

/rant OVER.

look at bold
look at bold purple

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dont agree with this artical at all. I havnt had any problems with vista yet and there is no way it could be an expansion since the whole entire OS was recodded mostly.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dont agree with this artical at all. I havnt had any problems with vista yet and there is no way it could be an expansion since the whole entire OS was recodded mostly.

That didn't make sense... Whatever.

I prefer XP over Vista anyways... I've always loved these:

Windows 2000
Windows XP Home Edition (I have SP2)
Windows '98

Macs are awesome too.. I'm stuck with Vista on my Laptop though.

~Nero

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

k.

Solid State Drives

Doesn't matter he said the hard drive is slower, he didn't ask how expensive or how cheap it is

So? It's more than enough for todays games. If you say 4GB is kick ass no it's not for an OS to see that much it has to be 64bit and 64bit isn't all that great cause it kinds of emulates 32bit programs so in something like 3dmark you get a lower score than you should

/rant OVER.

look at bold
look at bold purple
look at bold blue

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

Please stop making comments about PCs or Macs or any type of computer or OS. You think you know a lot but really you don't. Your post makes no sense what so ever.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

k.

Solid State Drives

Doesn't matter he said the hard drive is slower, he didn't ask how expensive or how cheap it is
SSD are slower than Hard Drives(at the moment)

So? It's more than enough for todays games. If you say 4GB is kick ass no it's not for an OS to see that much it has to be 64bit and 64bit isn't all that great cause it kinds of emulates 32bit programs so in something like 3dmark you get a lower score than you should
What did that rebuttal have anything to do with your first statement?

/rant OVER.

look at bold

look at bold purple
look at bold blue
look at bold yellow

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
1. I never said 4gb was "kick-ass", I was saying that 2gb is pretty much standard now.

2. The performance hit from 32-bit emulation is very small.

QUOTE said:
Then what was the point of your comment? Just showing us you know what solid state drives are?

Please stop making comments about PCs or Macs or any type of computer or OS. You think you know a lot but really you don't. Your post makes no sense what so ever.
I second this.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
QUOTE said:
1. I never said 4gb was "kick-ass", I was saying that 2gb is pretty much standard now.

I know I but I'm saying if 2GB isn't kick ass you would probably say 4GB is.

2. The performance hit from 32-bit emulation is very small.

It's noticeable in some games.

QUOTE said:
Then what was the point of your comment? Just showing us you know what solid state drives are?

I second this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1