Why vista should have been an expansionpack

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by thejokerss, Nov 5, 2007.

Nov 5, 2007
  1. thejokerss
    OP

Newcomer thejokerss Member

2. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    What a load of crap. Under the hood, Vista is entirely recoded. Theres no possible way it could have been, or should have been, an XP "expansion pack".

"About security, all I expect an operating system to do is have no holes or exploits in it."

I vote this to be the worst article I've read in a while.

3. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Thanks to MS's very good idea of keeping DX10 on Vista, a shitload of hardcore users (most of the people that run a futuremark benchmark are on Vista, see their stats) are using it, who found almost all of the bugs and forced companies to start making good drivers for it.

Vista is insansely secure, no BSODs or viruses since I've been running it (For over 6 months)

It's also faster than XP 32 on my system

4. laminaatplaat

Member laminaatplaat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  5. Saylient_Dreams

Member Saylient_Dreams GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I gotta agree with Urza, I think you have to know what went into Vista in order to make a final decision. If you make a decision from what people say and screenshots you see, its kinda dumb. I was one of those people who thought Vista was just some fancy looking XP, but I have it now on my laptop (came with it), and I would rather stay on Vista than XP. There's only a few things I hate about Vist (well don't like), just how much the friggin thing costs (400$ is a bit excessive, unless Microsoft is trying to push people to just buying computers which are about that price now these days and come with Vista.), and how strict it is with graphic requirements (I wanted to install it on a 2 year old laptop, but it didn't support the graphics card, and I was trying to install Vista Basic; just wanted some of the perks of Vista that weren't in XP). Just my opinion [​IMG] Also isn't UAC in Vista kinda similar to how Linux works (I'd say UAC was kinda a mock of how Linux works). I've used Ubuntu (and a couple of its other distros) and everytime I wanted to install something I had to type in some command saying it was alright to do it ("sudo?" then it would ask for the password and stuff), I'm still toying around with Linux, pretty newbish at it [​IMG] . I'm not really annoyed with UAC, it's kinda helpful when you're on the web and some script wants to run an .exe that it downloaded in the background, least you have the option of allowing or denying it, which I think is helpful for the casual user, I myself have it disabled, [​IMG]

6. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    (5 months for me though)

7. robi

Member robi GBAtemp Regular

France
    Disclaimer: I am an avid Linux/BSD user. My laptop is a Macintosh.

Yet, despite all this, I get pissed off when people complain that Vista's memory usage is high. Vista caches many things in your RAM so it doesn't have to constantly pull it off your hard drive, which is much, much slower.

Also, it takes milliseconds to blank the memory so if you to start running a program that requires more memory like Photoshop or a game....the memory will be released and made available.

What the FUCK is the point of having 2 Gigabytes of RAM if your computer rarely uses it?

/rant OVER.

8. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've tried vista for several months, and it's wearing me down. I'm no PC noob, but these things just on my nerves. For instance, the mouse cursor will stick from time to time. I'm not sure what it is, but I'll be going around the screen, then it'll pause for 3 seconds. The drive isn't thrashing, the computer isn't doing anything important. Yet, it stalls for a bit. It's not terribly often, but it's annoying when it does happen. The mouse cursor is something they should at least have a handle on in all these years.

But the most annoying feature I haven't been able to figure out is in Windows Explorer, it tries to make a guess on what a directory's contents are, and give you the prettiest (in it's opinion) view it can. The trouble is, it fails miserably. Many, many times it wants to give the view for photos. The columns will have things like "Date Taken," "Rating" for giving stuff 5 stars, width/height/resolution, etc. The trouble is it does it on many, many directories. Some will have nothing but other sub-directories in it, no pictures (or any files) anywhere. I've done all that customizing, apply these settings to every sub-directory, etc. The trouble is that newly created directories are not subject to that, and Vista will do what it wants with them all over again.

I'm not seeing much in Vista to make me want to keep it around. I am due for a good formatting (a Windows annoyance no matter what the version) soon, I'm still up in the air what to put on here next.

9. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Make sure you have all of the reccommended updates from Windows Update installed

10. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    look at bold

11. KizunaIatari

Newcomer KizunaIatari Member

United States
    I get absolutely none of the aforementioned problems. Maybe its your hardware? [​IMG]

12. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    look at bold purple

13. Osaka

Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I dont agree with this artical at all. I havnt had any problems with vista yet and there is no way it could be an expansion since the whole entire OS was recodded mostly.

14. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States

That didn't make sense... Whatever.

I prefer XP over Vista anyways... I've always loved these:

Windows 2000
    Windows XP Home Edition (I have SP2)
    Windows '98

Macs are awesome too.. I'm stuck with Vista on my Laptop though.

~Nero

15. ZeWarrior

Brazil
    look at bold blue

16. ZeWarrior

Brazil
    Please stop making comments about PCs or Macs or any type of computer or OS. You think you know a lot but really you don't. Your post makes no sense what so ever.

17. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    look at bold yellow

18. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    I second this.

19. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    10 months for me