Hacking Why the hell is my ReiNAND bootrate so shitty?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly does setting that offset do? Will it help with my abysmally low Gateway coldboot percentage?
no it only has to do with payloads like ReiNand.dat. for Gateway you have to use the 3dsx I think, and the offset does nothing with the 3dsx.

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no it only has to do with payloads like ReiNand.dat. for Gateway you have to use the 3dsx I think, and the offset does nothing with the 3dsx.

Alright gotcha... thanks. Still wish I knew why it fails a lot of the time. I get ctrbootmanager to come up like 95% of the time and then it either shows the Gateway logo and start to load to emunand and then freeze on a black screen or just not even get that far and freeze on a black screen. Either one of those 2 things about 75% of the time.

Last edited by Ryft,
Reactions: CeeDee

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I absolutely would if I didn't have to downgrade to 2.1 and risk a brick. On a New 3DS, too!
I dumped OTP on both my O3DS and N3DS with no hardmod and no bricks. Check out the guide, it tells you to do everything on emuNAND before sending everything in sysNAND, so the success rate is a lot higher than downgrading a 3DS the "regular way" with sysUpdater.
As long as you're not being stupid (don't close the lid when writing to sysNAND, do everything every backup twice to check checksums, this kind of stuff), really the chances that something goes wrong are low. You're only writing to sysNAND once to flash a downgraded emuNAND (so if you had problems downgrading with sysUpdater, it was on emuNAND and you could do it again), then once to go back to 9.0-9.2 with your backup, then once to install the arm9loaderhax compiled with your OTP. What can go wrong seriously ?

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Building arm9loaderhax and installing it is riskier than getting OTP.
That part would definitely need some security check (any way to double check that the OTP it got compiled with will work on the specific console, ask you before restoring sysNAND if its found on your card...)

But yeah, if you follow the OTP guide there's a lot of safety measures taken to avoid brick. There's only one somewhat risky part, but all the backups to unbrick are done before.

GBHAKC75

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Building arm9loaderhax and installing it is riskier than getting OTP.
That part would definitely need some security check (any way to double check that the OTP it got compiled with will work on the specific console, ask you before restoring sysNAND if its found on your card...)

But yeah, if you follow the OTP guide there's a lot of safety measures taken to avoid brick. There's only one somewhat risky part, but all the backups to unbrick are done before.

It's as risky as the restoring SysNAND-part on n3DS, because if you did a mistake in folder names, it won't tell you and you'll flash a bricked NAND on your SysNAND.
There's not really "safety measures". Most OTP-related bricks are because of the bad folder names, that's why you need to be careful and triple-check every steps.

Building arm9loaderhax is pretty straightforward IMO, if you're a bit careful then there's no reason to brick.

@Sonic_Cee_Dee The bad boot rate is not because of ReiNAND, it's MenuHax-related. Proof is you get 100% (yes, 100%) of boot rate with A9LH on both SysNAND and EmuNAND. MenuHax has a "random" part (that's why boot rate is not perfect) where A9LH is very reliable (100% boot rate/very fast) since it starts very early in the boot process.
And it does permit a lot more than "just improving boot rate". You're almost brick-proof with it, that's pretty amazing, for me, at least.

Last edited by GBHAKC75,

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well arm9loaderhax has the bad habbit of restoring a sysnand automatically if it finds it on your sd... without asking.
and Ive read a report about someone who dumped a corrupted OTP, and it bricked their console. Yes, it isnt "due" to arm9loaderhax but there's currently no check that the OTP is OK.

GBHAKC75

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well arm9loaderhax has the bad habbit of restoring a sysnand automatically if it finds it on your sd... without asking.
and Ive read a report about someone who dumped a corrupted OTP, and it bricked their console. Yes, it isnt "due" to arm9loaderhax but there's currently no check that the OTP is OK.

What do you mean by "restoring a sysNAND" ? A9LH doesn't restore anything...

You can check the OTP size. If it's 256 bytes, then you should be fine. But I supposed there's a slighty chance of dumping a bad OTP. That said, the downgrade part who was required to setup enuNAND before A9LH was much more riskier IMO, since it has a very random part (I had a softbrick on my first n3DS, the second went fine without ANY difference in the process).

It will not change anything since the issue is not ReiNAND but MenuHax. MenuHax IS random, and some people has better boot rates than others. That's it.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by "restoring a sysNAND" ? A9LH doesn't restore anything...
Yes it does if it finds a nand.bin file on your SD card. It happened to me on my second 3ds because I paid less attention than the first time.

I had a softbrick on my first n3DS, the second went fine without ANY difference in the process
From what Ive heard, hacked TWL can cause issues with downgrading.

I dunno, I guess we had a different experience.

GBHAKC75

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes it does if it finds a nand.bin file on your SD card. It happened to me on my second 3ds because I paid less attention than the first time.

From what Ive heard, hacked TWL can cause issues with downgrading.

I dunno, I guess we had a different experience.

Oh, you mean on installation. Yeah, it did the same to me. However I didn't care since it was a backup of my current SysNAND, and it only does during installation. After that it will NEVER restore it on boot or anything.

I didn't had hacked TWL, I was on 9.6E and needed to go to 9.2E to setup EmuNAND. No custom things or whatever, it just crashed at the middle of flashing, causing a Franken-firmware and I didn't want to pay for a game taht was exploitable, so I just returned it to Amazon and got a new one. The downgrade went fine, using same tools and technics. It's just random, because memchunkhax is random.

BasedIndex

splendid
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Russia
I do use sysNand to install DSiWare and GBA stuff, and I really don't want to downgrade to 2.1, and risk a brick, on a New 3DS model, just for a chance of a higher emuNand bootrate.
"Perfect emunand bootrate" FTFY
No 3d bug, reboot right into emunand, boots as fast as sysnand.

Reactions: CeeDee and daxtsu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: