Why the F is my internet so slow

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by juggernaut911, Jun 7, 2008.

Jun 7, 2008
  1. juggernaut911
    OP

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    my ping is 999ms when it is usually 10>ms. i download at about 35kb/s. I usually dl at >700kb/s.

what the shit! I'm not streaming. I use Cox, maybe their working on the box things that distribute internet?

2. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Call and ask for a line test

3. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    I might in a couple days, cox might be being retarded with the line. they sometimes unexpectedly screw with lines.

when my certain brother goes into the shower, I will unplug everyone but me, and try speedtest.net again.

4. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    shortly after posting this thread, my harddrive gave out. my 5 month old harddrive, then it fixed itself AGAIN!!!!

i want a new harddrive

5. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Well, my mobo blew up, so deal with it

6. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    lol, how did that happen?! [​IMG]

PS: another 250GB hd or a 320GB hd?

7. James B.

Member James B. GBAtemp Regular

United States
    1 TB. Do it, you know you want it.

8. krazykirk

Member krazykirk GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Hard Drive prices are plumeting too, you really should get as big as you can.

9. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    i thought the 1TB drives failded quickly.

I wuoldnt even need more than 650GBs though.

10. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Now I'm just scared one of my hard drives will give out. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't had any hardware failures in my home PCs for, well, ever. My external hard drive's 2 years old at least. Should I be particularly worried about it failing? 'Cause I see stuff about hard drives failing constantly. I don't know what I'd do if mine failed. :-\
    And the 1TB hard drives are still really expensive, it's probably cheaper to get 2 500GB ones. In fact, I'll go check Amazon...

Oh, it doesn't make any difference, they're both the same price per GB. So really, just get however much you want.

And as for slow internet, obviously you've never been with Virgin. My life is now living hell. Around midnight, I achieve actually fast speeds. But during the day, and especially the evening, my internet is just grindingly slow. That, and I think there must be a download cap, which is really hurting. Consider yourself lucky hehe.

11. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    To Trolly, don't worry about your hard drives, unless it's a Samsung, Seagate or Maxtor (they got bought out by Seagate).

And also for internet, you've obviously never been to Australia. Average speed here is around 1Mbps. On top of that, regular disconnections (unless you are in the CBD, which most people don't live in). And you've got the shit house download limits. Without breaking the bank (let's say $30AU a month), you'd get maybe around 500MB download. Whoopdee****ingdoo, five hundred massive megabytes of data to download! And your uploads count! Oh, and you have to pay for every MB you go over the limit. Mmmm very good.

Solution to your problem: call them up, then elevate it up to the manager if things get nowhere. That's how it works here. Usually if it gets to the manager, you get a free bonus. Getting a new hard drive might help as well (320GB is under $90AU here, go for a 500GB).

12. Trolly

United Kingdom
    Oh okay, mine are all Western Digital drives.

And, you're right lol, Australia sounds horrible for internet connections, I'd kill myself if I had a 500MB download limit. Wait [​IMG].
    Oh, I don't have a download limit apparently. That's very weird...
    I can only assume Virgin have oversubscribed, as all the old customers from NTL, and a couple of other ISPs went straight to Virgin, as we were offered a deal. Stupid Virgin.

13. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    Oh how I like my 100/10Mbit unlimited connection.. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    anyways, have you tried restarting your router (which router do you got?) if the internet speed is slowing down, it might just be the router getting slow after a while(happens to me).

14. Trolly

United Kingdom
    I'll try that the next time my internet is slow then. Though I've heard plenty of complaints about Virgin's speed before now, so I think it is a fault on Virgin's side.

15. Gman 101

Australia
    Yeah I'm almost killing myself with a meagre 25GB limit. I'm paying $100AU a month for this (although at 30mbps, fastest available). Many other countries have no limit. When I was in Hong Kong, I made sure that I'd download as much as I would before I'd come back to Australia [​IMG]

I've never heard of an ISP oversubscribing...

16. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    25GB [​IMG] , that's like 3 , maybe 4 depending on size xbox 360 games and you're done [​IMG]

17. Gman 101

Australia
    Yep. Previously my ISP had a very shoddy management system, which meant that everyone on my plan would have unlimited download. I used to download 40 odd GB a month (and I would use even more now with my rapidshare account). Unfortunately, some time last year, they decided to start billing and capping people who went over the measly 12GB limit. Everyone complained. No one in the ISP cared. That's how much it sucks. Our previous prime minister even went off to claim that Australia had the 2nd best internet in the world. I almost had a heart attack when I heard that bullshit....

18. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Which isp do you have?

I recently got tpgs 150GB plan, and i'm pretty happy with it

19. Gman 101

Australia
    I'm with Bigpond. I wouldn't trust TPG with a pinch of salt over here in Sydney (even though the 150GB plan is SO damn tempting!). They drop out really easily and their customer support is shocking. Bigpond has never dropped out on me, but my only issue is the pricing, customer support (not as bad as TPG from what my friends tell me) and download limits (also speeds, but that's an infrastructure thing).

20. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I just switched over to Internode and they seem pretty sweet.

1500kb plan, 40GB downloads, and free usenet (giganews and astraweb) access for $84.95, not great but better than a whole lot of other ISP's.

BTW I'd get ADSL2 but it isn't available in my area.

I'd be switching from Big Pond all day, there are heaps better offers out there that are just as stable.