Homebrew Why so simple?

DoodleMaestro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, there are a TON of homebrew games that are ports of simple games like othello, chess, tetris clones, etc.
My main question though is... why?
Nobody is going to be keeping games like these on their DS.
No offense.
I'm sure the programmers are using it as practice or something, but the general public (even the homebrew public) isn't really going to care.
We already have games like these on better official DS games, like clubhouse games.
Sure there are some gems out there like the puzzle collection, but most of these games don't really need to be released.
If it's just cuz programmers want something to do, they should really lend their talents to someone who has an idea instead of going for basic.
It just feels like the DS homebrew scene has too much stuff like this.
EDIT: *sigh* ok, I know NOW that this is in the wrong forum. we need a delete post button.

Neku_Sakuraba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DoodleMaestro said:
Ok, there are a TON of homebrew games that are ports of simple games like othello, chess, tetris clones, etc.
No offense.
I'm sure the programmers are using it as practice or something, but the general public (even the homebrew public) isn't really going to care.
We already have games like these on better official DS games, like clubhouse games.
Sure there are some gems out there like the puzzle collection, but most of these games don't really need to be released.
If it's just cuz programmers want something to do, they should really lend their talents to someone who has an idea instead of going for basic.
EDIT: *sigh* ok, I know NOW that this is in the wrong forum. we need a delete post button.

you should really understand that people go crazy for homebrew........
so you probably don't feel the same way but the world doesn't revolve around you and nobody will think or have the same brain (you probably don't have one)
wacko.gif

Melly Pix

Gbatemp's Lady Vulpix
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there's no delete post button as far as i know XD
just request to close the thread to a moderator ^^
and as neku said, homebrew is insane these days
many many many people download homebrew all the time
no matter how simple/boring it is =P

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I assume you're not a programmer.
wink.gif

Your underlying assumption is wrong; homebrew authors aren't driven to "create games for the general public". It's not about a "need" to be released, if you've put a month or two months of work into something why just sit on it? It's like having a sketchbook you doodle in on your lunch break but never show anyone. No-one "needs" to see it, but why not? It won't hurt anyone if you share.

Games that look simple on the surface to you as a player are far more complex in the back end than you realise. Commercial games are often developed by large teams, you can't expect one guy in his bedroom to pull off the same standard as that with a homebrew SDK every time without putting months, sometimes even years of work into it. And some brilliant stuff has come out of the homebrew community. But for those who don't have the time, are just starting out or just happy with what they do, that's cool too. These people do this for fun, cut them some slack.
smile.gif

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I always assumed it was because the "general public" can always find a way to break something, no matter how fool-proof it should be, which makes them good playtesters.

N-TG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
I wish there was a Go homebrew... With a good AI!!
You know that Japanese Game with the white and dark stones like othello (Go is entirely different but a lot of people think of Othello the 1st time they see it)

I like that there are a loto of homebrew... But we need more programs and stuff and not games...
Like image viewers and stuff... I remember a Dice Roller and that was very clever and very useful (Too bad I will never need it but it is very useful again)

DoodleMaestro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Neku: That was so stupid I can't even see straight. But that's ok, I know how you post and wasn't expecting anything constructive from you.

@Psy: I see your point, and I understand that these aren't for the public, but I was just thinking since I'm an artist myself, I don't show every sketch to people, but only the ones I think are interesting and different enough that people might enjoy them. Most of the time, you're right, just like programmers I sketch for me and not for an audience, but I tend to keep those sketches, well, secret.
I understand homebrewers will make things for practice, or for a project or something, but if they're things like a homebrew port of solitaire... Not many people are going to play it.

@twiztid: I'm completely aware. but I'm just saying the MAJORITY are like the ones I mentioned.

@Tumbledry: I guess "generic" would have been a better word.

Neku_Sakuraba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DoodleMaestro said:
@Neku: That was so stupid I can't even see straight. But that's ok, I know how you post and wasn't expecting anything constructive from you.

your just pissy cause you know it true
rofl2.gif

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you cant stop homebrew for the DS. besides, there are a lot of good homebrews out there. and there's a sticky(s) for them.

nickbaker50

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about lockjaw? That's the most complex homebrew I have ever seen? And besides a lot of the simple games you mentioned are my favorites. I have solitaire, minsweeper, and risk on my ds.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
DoodleMaestro said:
No offense.

OK, I can tell from that post that you are not a coder. But I'll try to explain the way I look at it.

A lot of homebrew (on ANY platform, not just the DS), is quite poor, mainly because most homebrew coders are just starting out. I bet when you first started do one of your hobbies, you were not very good at it, but now and then you figured that other people might like to see how you are progressing. Coding for any computer system is quite a complex task, in fact anything other that just displaying a little text on the screen can be ridiculously complicated. You mention 'simple' games like chess and tetris. These games are very complex, they take thousands and thousands of lines of code, weeks months or even years to make, usually by a single coder. Someone already mentioned about commercial games, not only do they have huge teams of people working on them, but it takes years to make a good game, even with a huge team behind you. Homebrew coders do not have the resources or the time for such a task. Also, you are comparing homebrew with the modern games (which have huge teams, loads of time and money) but if you look back to when commercial games were made in a similar way to homebrew, with only small teams and no time, then you will see that they were not much different.

Here is a screenshot from an old commercial game
98285025.png

See how poor it is compared to todays expensive time consuming standards?

Why not give programming a try?

sadak5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
One thing that the newest consoles make us forgot is the simplicity is allways better to have fun. Why the old style mario games are still succesful? Or games like Bejewelled or Luxor which don't have fance realistic graphics are well received? That's because the playability and simplicity of the learning curve make us enjoy them far better.

Why the tetris game hasn't get forgotten after all those years? for the same reazon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night