Hacking Why Sky3DS gets 002-0123 even with a private header.

RennyFlame

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how many people this applies to, because I've read many times that people just dump one game and it works across all of theirs just fine, sadly, this isn't the case for me and I've seen about 3 people make a thread asking why they're getting this error, and they've gotten no answers basically.

So turns out, if I'm correct, it's because of the manufacturer.

All of my ROMs aside from Smash, didn't work online with my header information from my own dump of Animal Crossing.

And I noticed something, Smash was the only game I had where the manufacturer byte was AE(OKI-Semiconductor), and that's the same manufacturer of Animal Crossing. Everything else gave me error 002-0123.

Mario Kart 7 and Final Fantasy: Curtain Call were the main games I wanted to play online, and those are both C2(Macronix) games.

I have a friend with a 3DS and about 10 games that he doesn't care for, I managed to get him to dump Pokemon Y and a few other games(Which actually leaves me with a header for each manufacturer) and Pokemon Y just so happens to be C2. I applied that header to MK7 and TFF:CC and whaddya know, they work online now. So if all of this is correct, you want at minimum 3 3DS dumps to ensure compatibility of all roms.

Read your dump's header information using Sky Army Knife and see if it is either an AE(OKI Semiconductor), C2(Macronix), or 45(SanDisk) based game, and then check the base template for your game and look at its chip ID so you can tell which header and EEPROM to apply to get that to work.

Remember:
C2 = Macronix
AE = OKI Semiconductor
45 = SanDisk.

ejSjJcS.png

Quick tip to get started:
orYQjeX.png

My Animal Crossing: New Leaf US dump:
lbiVBU7.png
NqK8lXr.png

If push comes to shove and opening your original dump in SAK doesn't show any Cart ID information, you may have to Export Header to .bin in Gateway ROM Patcher, but it SHOULD work in SAK. I haven't had any problems with it.
qL4PoCF.png

There may be many of you who know this already, but this is mainly for those people who didn't get an answer when they asked last week, because I was one of those people.

If this helps anyone who is looking for which game they could dump, from the 4 games I've dumped, I can tell you that the cart ID for these games are:

Pokemon Y: C2 F8 00 98
Animal Crossing New Leaf: AE F8 00 98
Devil Survivor Overclocked: 45 F8 00 90
Fire Emblem: Awakening: 45 F8 00 90

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The manufacturer situation is explained in the gateway rom patcher readme, I think it says 90% or so are Macronix. Your post should be helpful to other sky users though, this question seems to come up often.

Reactions: Deleted User

RennyFlame

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The manufacturer situation is explained in the gateway rom patcher readme, I think it says 90% or so are Macronix. Your post should be helpful to other sky users though, this question seems to come up often.

I suppose I should have probably tested this before, but I have no reason to....But, what would happen if I just used a C2 header and then changed the manufacturer byte to 45 for a 45 game?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose I should have probably tested this before, but I have no reason to....But, what would happen if I just used a C2 header and then changed the manufacturer byte to 45 for a 45 game?

It should be fine to change the manufacturer as long as the cart ID is not changed. That is, you can use any header and change the values to match the game to which it is applied.

This is directly from the GRP readme:

------------------------
+ Custom Header Details
------------------------
> Cart ID (32 characters): is the Cartridge ID you are going to use online.
Each original game cartridge got its own unique ID. However, some flashcard users are now sharing same IDs to go online.
Even if no ban happened yet at the time we write this doc, we recommend you to better use a private one dumped by yourself (and if possible coming from the game you're playing a backup of).
Gateway Rom Patcher now includes few "public headers" shared by the community, forums, roms, etc. for people who really want to take the risk of using them.
But again, read our disclaimer before playing with fire.

> Chip ID (8 characters): is the game chip identifier code composed by: Manufacturer code (2 chars) / Chip size (2 chars) / Unknown byte (2 chars) / Media Type (2 chars).
Gateway Rom Patcher will alert you if the chip ID really seems incorrect. But some components like the manufacturer's value can't be guessed.
- Manufacturer codes details:
All chips of a same title are not necessarily coming from the same manufacturer, depending on the continent. For example "Pokemon X JPN" and "Pokemon X EUR" are done by two different chip manufacturers.
With only a ROM file, it's hard to know which manufacturer did your game's chip. So if your patched ROM is not accepted online by using "Macronix" code, we can only advise you to try another one, then retry online play and so on.
From a large batch of games we tested, 3 manufacturers were found and the ratio is approximately: Macronix 90% of the chips / SanDisk 7% / OKI 3%. It should help to go faster in your tests.
- Unknown byte details:
Until now we only saw the "unknown" byte taking values "00" or "02". Forcing it to "00" seems to work with every games we tested so far, so you can try it if you really have no idea of what to use here.

Note that the Cart ID and Chip ID values MUST be valid to play online, or the game will be simply rejected.

RennyFlame

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be fine to change the manufacturer as long as the cart ID is not changed. That is, you can use any header and change the values to match the game to which it is applied.

This is directly from the GRP readme:

3% OKI. Man. The only game I could dump at the time WOULD be the least popular.

RennyFlame

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was make that for people like me who don't want to copy a game each time i want to test if a header work, and i wanted to share that with this community.

Upon further inspection of the website, I see that link.php is
<body>
Header Testing Tool by Smea2 - Thanks for use -
<br><br>
-------------------------------------
<br><br>
Receiving header... Success
<br>
Testing header... Success
<br>
<br>
Result : 002-0123 </body>

It's just fucking body text, there aren't even any connections made throughout this website, it just saves text.
You can clearly see here http://puu.sh/gXNMB/a1f3d27793.png that the only network connections that this stupid website sends/receives data from, is link.php, which is your scam.

lucasferrr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
get the hearder.bin then search the program ''No Ban no Sky'' it patches all the titles in the template,worked for in the first use with all roms i tested

RennyFlame

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get the hearder.bin then search the program ''No Ban no Sky'' it patches all the titles in the template,worked for in the first use with all roms i tested

That's what I used lol, problem is, my animal crossing dump has a manufacturer of AE, which is only ~3% of all 3DS games, whereas your probably begins with C2 and works with the majority of 3DS games.

Christian Rosado

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So when I load my header to knife I get manufacturer is 43.. what?? its non of the mentioned above, can I just change this to match the rom manufacturer??

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
sure... this is not new information.
if the header does not work just change the manufacturer using gw rom patcher. it will automatically fix the other stuff for you but it can't guess the correct manufacturer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: