Gaming Why .rar and zip releases

ducksick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've notice a new trend on release, some are released as .zip and other in mutiple .rxx why, Doesn't the scene have standards for releases, like the old days? It makes it a pain to archive. What happend??

sillypatterson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.rxx -is- the standard. Anything you find otherwise is either this, packed, or the nds file extracted and repacked to fit the host's preference.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Multi-volume rars are often used when uploading files that are big. It helps keep the integrity of the data high with less redundant posts. In other words if you upload a 90 meg file to a news server instead of 6 x 15 meg files then if something goes wrong you have to repost the whole 90 meg file instead of just one part of it. Another reason might just be for legacy.. Back in the day everything was archived into volumes that would fit on floppy disks.
smile.gif

ducksick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Errr, Zips have already been the standard even back in the gba days, it seem to have been a recent thing, also if rar were a standard someone should pick a size for each vol, come on now do we really need 8, 5mb files. All you need is one Rar up to 50mb with pars, and your done. Seems like a dumb move to split, who needs them that small.

If you have to upload a single big file and something goes wrong that what pars are for, or just re-up, I turned in my analog modem back in th 90's. When other scene isos are 50mb a vol without a problem why crack them up.

sillypatterson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Errr, Zips have already been the standard even back in the gba days, it seem to have been a recent thing, also if rar were a standard someone should pick a size for each vol, come on now do we really need 8, 5mb files. All you need is one Rar up to 50mb with pars, and your done. Seems like a dumb move to split, who needs them that small.

If you have to upload a single big file and something goes wrong that what pars are for, or just re-up, I turned in my analog modem back in th 90's. When other scene isos are 50mb a vol without a problem why crack them up.

Idiot.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
who cares, extracted they are all the same. get winrar and you can unzip most common compression formats.

ducksick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just makes it easier when selecting files, as sometimes I need to catchup with releases, Glad to see the same friendly people are in the scene. Wow nice discussion, I know it's easy, I was just asking a question. Check all the CLEAN in a.b.n.ds and you see them released in all kinds of formats, just a comment. Could you all be that bored to just call someone dumb for asking a question. Shit check the release list you'll the release filename as .zip in NDS
Number 0001
Full name Electroplankton
Region Japan
Languages Japanese
Release Group Trashman
Genre other
Filename trm-elpl.zip
ROM Size 128Mb
Save Type None

Number 1649
Full name Toshokan DS - Meisaku & Suiri & Kaidan & Bungaku
Region Japan
Languages Japanese
Release Group 6rz
Genre Language Training
Filename 6rz-tskd.zip
ROM Size 256Mbit
Save Type Unknown
Discussion Click here

sillypatterson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blah blah blah i'm a kid blah blah dunno how usenet works blah

Maybe you're new to Usenet. Maybe you don't understand how binary retention works, or how many ISP's newsservers dump binaries over a fairly low size. Or maybe you do know that, and just want them to cater to you.

Whatever the circumstances, you're wrong, and you're staying wrong, and the hole you dig yourself only gets deeper.

sillypatterson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fuckin hate it when I download a meow and it's like a zip containing a rar, containing another zip that is containing 15 rxx files

Doesn't bother me much, but I guess it's because I'm old enough to remember getting 128k pieces from Usenet over a 14.4, and only losing a few minutes when something went wrong in transit, rather than hours or days if the binary had been unsegmented.

I don't roam around Usenet like I used to, but as I understand it, most NDS releases happen on Usenet, spread to IRC, and spread to the web. The beginning of this chain is, reasonably, segmented files. Some websites extract and repack them (often with ad URLs for their site as some sort of claim of ownership), some preserve the scene release format. If you prefer the former, frequent sites that adhere to that way of doing things.

If you prefer the former, but get your stuff from Usenet, keep crying those tears, because it's not changing anytime soon, due to the nature of the beast. If you can't understand and accept that, maybe you've got the wrong hobby.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Multi-part RAR files are pointless at these sizes.
They should be used on larger files, after all DL DVDs are posted in 100MB chunks.
I have seen 200MB files on usenet before.

sillypatterson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Multi-part RAR files are pointless at these sizes.
They should be used on larger files, after all DL DVDs are posted in 100MB chunks.
I have seen 200MB files on usenet before.

Pardon me if I'm ignorant on today's Usenet, but is this accessible to the majority of ISP newsservers? As I alluded to, I've been out of the Usenet loop for close to 3 years now, but even that recently, my local cable provider's service wouldn't tolerate anything over 5MB.

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I think the scene rules on NDS releases needs some redefinition, perhaps the good old 15MiB/14.31MB segments, I see no reason why not, with many games being 128MB, and even ASH at 256MB, this is surely an indicator that more bigger games are to come, and if rules are set out now, it will prevent a lot of confusion further down teh track.

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i don't see what the problem is with how they're packaged at the moment, if you want to package them another way, by all means do so, most games compress well in to smaller sizes anyway

ducksick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Maybe you're new to Usenet. Maybe you don't understand how binary retention works, or how many ISP's newsservers dump binaries over a fairly low size. Or maybe you do know that, and just want them to cater to you.

Whatever the circumstances, you're wrong, and you're staying wrong, and the hole you dig yourself only gets deeper.

Guess you told me anyway, I'll just ask the poster on the usenet, sorry for thinking there were some useful people on the forums. Best of luck.

Vox

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
NDS doesnt have any own release standards. Most groups release the games in .zip files. But its harder for them to get pred on the scene. .rxx is a bette standard because its more accepted in the scene and its easier to "race" the files even if they are small.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over