Why on earth did they get rid of the WiFi USB thing?

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Noltron, Jul 9, 2009.

?

Why???

1. Nintendo is STUPID

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nintendo likes to torture people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nintendo lost money off them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Workers broke the machine that made them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. A meteorite from outerspace crashed into the earth, destroying the factories that made them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. They just did for no reason.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Noltron
    OP

Newcomer Noltron Member

United States
    Why?
    It was the only way I could play wii, ds, and such online!

I go to a boarding school, and I live with my dad. At this school, there is campus wide wireless internet.
    But they have a setting that does not allow for online accessibility via games.

Becuase I live with my dad, I just connect my wifi connecter to my dads computer, which has a wired connection, irrelevent to the wireless connection. But being the guy my dad is, he throws it away because, quote over quote, "he didnt know what it was". If he threw everything away that he didnt know what it was, his apartment would be %93 less cluttered. Im not even exaggerating... Unfortunately...

And now I dont have a wifi connector. I would love to get another one, but they arent manufactured any more...

This begs the question, why on earth did Nintendo stop making those WiFi connectors?
    also, is there any product equivalent to the function of the wifi connector out there, that is about 40$ or less?

2. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Because Nintendo's Wi-fi adapter sucks unless you follow that tutorial to turn it into a softap. You're better off just getting one of the countless other brands of wireless usb adapters. At least those will work at full speed and will allow you to connect to other things besides Nintendo's Wii and DS.

3. Noltron
    OP

Newcomer Noltron Member

United States
    ahh. I dont know much about the wireless stuff, so its a learning process for me...
    Countless? lol i didnt do any research before I posted this. I suppose I should have...

4. macboy3000

Newcomer macboy3000 Advanced Member

United States
    probably it sucked and it needed more improvement

5. tylerxian

Member tylerxian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is this what you're looking for?(http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3345) If so, maybe you should search more before posting here. Good luck.

6. Luckkill4u

Member Luckkill4u SOLDIER

Canada
    Try the WiFi Max by Datel. It probably sucks too but maybe worth a try, you could look at some reviews for it.
    WiFi MAX-Codejunkies

7. Bridgy84

Member Bridgy84 Yub Nub

United States
  8. TraumaHoundNDS

Member TraumaHoundNDS GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have the Nintendo WiFi adapter and use it with my Netbook; works great. The adapter didn't play well with some firewall programs which is what kept it from working on my PC (and since the DS won't work with WPA2 my wireless router is out, too.)

I assume lack of compatibility was what ultimately snuffed it out, paired with the plethora of other/better options out there.

9. SoLuckys

Member SoLuckys GBAtemp Regular

Cyprus
    WoW the meteorites did a good job this time [​IMG]

man, wi-fi max by datel sux hard. i had one and it wasnt working very well, always disconnecting(both wii and ds) and threw it into the dustbin. its the worst wifi usb connector and i am not kidding [​IMG]

10. tylerxian

United States
    Well I thought that the stuff Datel usually puts out were better quality stuff that wouldn't have those sorts of problems. Maybe just a case of bad luck?

11. eSquire

Newcomer eSquire Advanced Member

Australia
  12. Raichy

Newcomer Raichy Advanced Member

Czech Republic
    I recently bought the Datel Wifi Max and its awesome, good range and signal quality, can connect my DSi, PSP and Laptop with absolutely no problems. Since it is bridging the signal from my pc ethernet card, it doesn't work well when I am using the card, so have to turn off ICQ, Skype, Firefox etc. But I must admit that setting this thing up was a pain in the ass.

13. tylerxian

United States
    Hm, well in the Wiki article it said it worked with the majority of it's users (and not explaining why it was discontinued) and while I only bought two things from Datel before, they worked flawlessly. I don't believe that just because of one fault in their product line would result in their whole product line producing poor quality goods.

14. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Wouldn't a normal wireless usb adaptor be just the same if you set it up in ad hoc mode?

15. Ess_uk

Newcomer Ess_uk Member

United Kingdom
    I didn't realise they'd stopped producing them. I just got one from "Homeplus" here in Sth Korea for KRW 22,000. I run it off my wired netbook. Works like a dream. Just played Mario Kart DS online for the first time and loved it!!! I will connect my Wii up later on too!!!! Awesome!!! [​IMG]