GBATemp Ha Do Ken
OP
Trophies
Website
www.webcreation31.com
XP
Country
France
Why not put a mark poll with each review?
Like that each person would give his advice about the game reviewed.

I mean a poll with choices 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 as we can put 10 choices (there will not be 0 but as any game exists, it has to be noted 1 at least
tongue.gif
).

What do you think about it?

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nifty idea, but I don't think we're going to do it. We can't just alter a review to a poll (there's a way to do it but it's a lot of trouble). What we ARE doing, though, is altering our procedure for posting reviews. What it's likely going to be is:
1) Reviewer reserves a particular game.
2) Review gets completed and posted.
3) Any other reviewer interested in the title can post their own "retake review" or something underneath it to provide a counter-perspective.

Hopefully, enough of us will post alternate perspectives to keep the view alive. Everyone is free to form their own opinions: These reviews invariably contain an element of personal bias, of course, which is why I use the phrase "Reviewer's Overall Rank" in my subtopics.

Or have I missed the point.... you _are_ talking about putting a poll up about game ratings, right?

-Tempest out.-

bajibbles

Ragnafreak
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
actually, i rather like nicko's idea, but not WITH the review. i dont think that voting should have anything to do with a review though, as a review is only one persons opinion. maybe there should be a spot on GBATemp's main page where you can rate a game. i dont mean like 'best game of the week', which is good, but doesnt give a rating to each particular game... but giving EACH game a mark out of 10. then you could average the scores for each game, and the one with the highest mark would be the 'best game of the week'. what do you think?

[EDIT] because this lets a game be rated more fairly, because with 'best game of the week' only 1 game can be picked, and looking at march's release list i dont think that would be fair to alot of other games...

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'll consider it for later reviews. However, currently, I think the forums themselves provide a decent guage in popularity. Look up topics titled "Metroid Fusion" or various misspellings of that to see what I mean -- you get so many of them that the game has to be good, which is all but assured when you see the SHEER SIZE of that help topic. I get that impression from Metabots as well, which I have yet to download, mostly because I don't have time, and partly because I can't decide between the original and Metabee.

The reviews are personal impressions and game summaries, mostly. I try to focus more on the review aspect than the impressions aspect, but they're both there. Therefore, the review will be a personal opinion. I know a lot of the new ones haven't gone low, since most of us review the games we think are good... but still.

I may include it in a later review, coupled with a poll on (perhaps) this board regarding it, and we'll see what happens. I avoid polls, though, since although GBATemp is a good community, we have people who vote the lowest or highest on impulse. As reviewers, we hold back on the extremes, usually. There's only been a couple of 10's on that board at all, and if you look at the games (Metroid Fusion, Pokemon ruby/sapphire), they've earned it.

Ben88's suggestion is good as well. I'd highly support a variable poll system where we give points to different games (think a grid). However, our board doesn't support this, technology-wise.

-Tempest out.-

bajibbles

Ragnafreak
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tempest, actually, you misconstrued my idea!!! i'd never even considered a grid-type voting system, although thats a much better idea. what i meant was, a different poll for each game (so if you had 2 games you'd give a 9, you could, instead of having to pick one). then the votes would be averaged for each game and the game with the highest score is the most popular(a.k.a., best game of the week). sorry if i didnt explain my ideas more clearly. then every1 could give each game its own vote, more variety in games. (in the current system, if there is a controversial game where alot of ppl vote it as the best game of the week(10 points) but others hate it(1 point) and vote for something else, it might win just by sheer numbers. but if there is a game that gets about an 8 cos its good, even if people have a favorite they can give it a fair score, even if they think a game is better)

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't misconstrue it, but I was making a logical extension of it. A poll for each game is a LOT of polls. And then there's still the people who vote for the extremes....

In my case, I'm content to stick to writing these reviews, and letting people make their own decisions. I can tell that we've already made an impact.

-Tempest out.-

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: