Hacking Why not just always install Wads? Is VC Wad install easy to detect?

delt31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new to the wii scene and I don't understand why all the apps under homebrew just don't come with a wad version so you don't need to go through the homebrew channel? Then I read that VC wads can be detected by Nintendo so maybe that's why people don't install wads on the sys menu b/c the big N can detect it?

Either way - is there a safety issue with installing wads? I know they can brick if they're not good but besides that - also, if I go online with the usb loader, can the big N detect like MS does (or could) on xbox live?

thanks guys - this place is really awesome. A ton of great info!

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason is because the Wii has a very limited amount of memory and installing apps via a wad installs them to the system memory meaning it will eat it up. the Homebrew channel allows you to use an SD card to store this stuff instead. There are some risks with wad files as far as system bricks go. with the SD card menu added in 4.0 the memory issue isn't such a big problem but frankly It's not really worth it to waste that much memory with channel bin files on the SD card when you can just use the HBC and take up half the space with the same app.

Apekop

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bad .Wads can brick your Wii beyond repair. Nintendo cant detect if youre using a backup or original. Never use Ocarina cheat app online. Turn Wiiconnect24 off and keep it off at all times. Dont update through Nintendo.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
there is no banns in Wii yet (not truly reported), but if you fear for the FBI knocking at your door cause you are playing downloaded games, then don't do it, luckly for me FBI doesn't exist in México, bua ha ha...!!
evil.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I never use channels for applications. In fact i think i would spend more time in creating, installing and uninstalling them than i would save from not going through the HBC.

Apekop

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
WiiPower said:
I never use channels for applications. In fact i think i would spend more time in creating, installing and uninstalling them than i would save from not going through the HBC.

can be true, but I score way too high on the OCD continuum to let that get the best of me.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Turn Wiiconnect24 off and keep it off at all times."

Thats the biggest5 load of bullshit I've ever heard!!!!!!!!!!! I have my wiiconect 24 on at all times and Nintendo has never detected any piracy ect. And if you think they can auto update your wii then You are sadly mistaken and full of more shit than a constipated fat man!

Apekop

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hells Guardian said:

Thats the biggest5 load of bullshit I've ever heard!!!!!!!!!!! I have my wiiconect 24 on at all times and Nintendo has never detected any piracy ect. And if you think they can auto update your wii then You are sadly mistaken and full of more shit than a constipated fat man!

You dont have to, but the updated license does allow them to autodownload stuff to your wii (I know theyre not doing that atm), and there is no reason to have it on in the first place.

And please, stop trolling.

delt31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks guys - so is installing VC wads any worse than the Homebrew channel? For example, I've heard people mention that the Big N somehow knows or can detect installed VC wads. is this bs?

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
screw WADs, if I could run WiiWare and VC(N64, i got ROMs for pre-n64 stuff) from the HBC I would.
I hate the Wii's internal memory so much, sure I have WADs for two GeckoOS's and Gamma installed and a forwarder for the USB Loader but I'm thinking of getting rid of all that crap and just sticking to the HBC.

My Wii's internal memory can corrupt sometimes, plus as already said it's so limited it's not worth installing jack to it.

yeah I'll get rid of all these application channels/wads installed one day except for the USB Loader and once bootmii is out that's going too.

The HBC has a nice, clean interface, icons and descriptions are easy to make if there aren't default ones, there's no need to install crap to your wii and risk corruption or bricks even if that risk is minimal nowadays.

And don't even get me started on 4.0 and how it runs games "off the SD card", SD card my ass, it installs the wads to your wii and runs them from there, every time you play the game...at least that's what I read, sorry if I'm wrong on that.

Apekop

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Shinigami Kiba said:
screw WAD

And don't even get me started on 4.0 and how it runs games "off the SD card", SD card my ass, it installs the wads to your wii and runs them from there, every time you play the game...at least that's what I read, sorry if I'm wrong on that.

actually, yes, you initially install wads on the wii, but with the right cios, you can run those wads off the sd card menu fine. I love having wads.

oh and I havent heard of Nintendo being able to detect you running Wads since they have no central server. Only bans Ive heard of is Mario Kart Wii bans for using Ocarina online (and Im glad they do that, cos it could totally fuck up Mario Kart Wii online)

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
Apekop said:
Shinigami Kiba said:
screw WAD

actually, yes, you initially install wads on the wii, but with the right cios, you can run those wads off the sd card menu fine. I love having wads.

But do they really run from the SD card or does the WAD install to the Wii's internal memory once you start it and plays from there?
Because that's what I've gathered from people explaining how the whole running WADs/VC/WiiWare from SD works, basically when you start the game it's being copied to the internal flash memory of the Wii and it actually runs from there instead of the SD Card.

delt31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apekop said:
Shinigami Kiba said:
screw WAD

oh and I havent heard of Nintendo being able to detect you running Wads since they have no central server. Only bans Ive heard of is Mario Kart Wii bans for using Ocarina online (and Im glad they do that, cos it could totally fuck up Mario Kart Wii online)

OK - so installing wads related to VC games is the same thing as installing any other wad. I don't know where I was reading it but people were making it seem like VC wads are different than other wads and the big N was looking for those to ban people.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hells Guardian said:

I always suggest to do that. But not because nintendo could detect homebrew somehow, it's just an built-in overheating feature. The Wii runs at 50% power with disabled fans wiiconect24 mode.

Digital1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few .wads installed, mostly for what I access very often but it takes a whole 2 seconds more to use HBC which is sufficient. I just like to have few extra channels I guess. =\

Apekop

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Shinigami Kiba said:
Apekop said:
Shinigami Kiba said:
screw WAD

But do they really run from the SD card or does the WAD install to the Wii's internal memory once you start it and plays from there?
Because that's what I've gathered from people explaining how the whole running WADs/VC/WiiWare from SD works, basically when you start the game it's being copied to the internal flash memory of the Wii and it actually runs from there instead of the SD Card.

well the wii has two types of memory (like a normal computer). The working memory and the non-working memory (dont know if the wii has a flash drive or hard disk, I think it has flash). The working memory is erased on the go (all the time), non-working memory is not.
The wads can be transfered to the SD card and run off of there. If you start an SD card application, the wii loads it into the working memory just like it does when it loads a wad off the wii's internal storage (non-working memory).

The only difference is that since the SD interface isnt quite as fast as the Wiis internal storage capabilities so it takes 2 seconds more to load.
What you get for that is basically unlimited amounts of channels though (running stuff of a 2 gig SD card will let you run everything you want and WAY more).

Hope that explains it. Short: wads are cool. SD menu is cool.

nindim

Trophies
XP
Country
Apekop said:
well the wii has two types of memory (like a normal computer). The working memory and the non-working memory (dont know if the wii has a flash drive or hard disk, I think it has flash). The working memory is erased on the go (all the time), non-working memory is not.
The wads can be transfered to the SD card and run off of there. If you start an SD card application, the wii loads it into the working memory just like it does when it loads a wad off the wii's internal storage (non-working memory).

The only difference is that since the SD interface isnt quite as fast as the Wiis internal storage capabilities so it takes 2 seconds more to load.
What you get for that is basically unlimited amounts of channels though (running stuff of a 2 gig SD card will let you run everything you want and WAY more).

Last I heard, it loaded it onto the internal flash memory, this would explain why loading the last game you played (from your SD) is a bit quicker than loading the same game after you've played a different game (it doesn't need to copy it again as it's already on the internal memory). This is also why you need to have some free space on your internal memory for this feature to work.

Long story short, the wad istelf does NOT load into RAM, rather it copies it to the flash memory and it stays there till you load something else.

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
so I was right, games don't run from the SD card for real and just do what you'd do by running HBC, WAD manager and installing a WAD manually, except it does it all automatically and it can only keep one game at a time in there so if you or your kid decides they want to play a new WiiWare/VC game every 10 minutes then it puts a hell of a lot of wear on the internal flash memory which isn't good.

Therefore, screw 4.0 lol
at least until bootmii comes out or there's a way to downgrade/hack a virgin 4.0 wii with no previous hacks installed.

CDZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nindim said:
Apekop said:

Last I heard, it loaded it onto the internal flash memory, this would explain why loading the last game you played (from your SD) is a bit quicker than loading the same game after you've played a different game (it doesn't need to copy it again as it's already on the internal memory). This is also why you need to have some free space on your internal memory for this feature to work.

Long story short, the wad istelf does NOT load into RAM, rather it copies it to the flash memory and it stays there till you load something else.

If you go into the channel data menu on the wii you'll actually see a slot with the last wad you ran from the SD. Have a look Apekop, because if it isn't there on yours I'd be really interested to find out what this cIOS is you mentioned in one of your earlier posts.

Gabo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's a matter of preference I suppose. I use both HBC and wads for applications. It all depends on usage for me. Apps that I use a lot of the time are better off as a wad as it can be a time saver. But apps I don't use as much I leave on SD as they would just take up space on my Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.