Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
tagzard said:
You don't wanna know...
It's a conspiracy. Thats all i'm allowed to say...

ahaha xd and now a serious answer
tongue.gif

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
My guess is this:

They were not ready to step into 3D yet for Metroid on the N64. They still had the 2D mindset, since the N64 wasn't capable of great 3D graphics that would compliment the game (think about it for a second).

They most likely tried it out, and got a drab game with dark colours and wonky controls and said, "Fuck it, man, just do one on the GBA when it comes out". They most likely just couldn't make it work to be pleasing to themselves.

MY QUESTION is... WHY have they not made a 2D Metroid since Zero Mission and Fusion? I mean WHAT THE HELL -- I am one of MANY huge fans of the 2D Metroid games (I like Prime, too, by the way) and really wish they would go back to their roots.

My opinion: OTHER M SUCKS. And it is NOT a 2D Metroid game. Nuff' said on the matter.

@Tagzard: LOL @ your +1 post.
tongue.gif

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Schlupi said:
My guess is this:

They were not ready to step into 3D yet for Metroid on the N64. They still had the 2D mindset, since the N64 wasn't capable of great 3D graphics that would compliment the game (think about it for a second).

They most likely tried it out, and got a drab game with dark colours and wonky controls and said, "Fuck it, man, just do one on the GBA when it comes out". They most likely just couldn't make it work to be pleasing to themselves.

MY QUESTION is... WHY have they not made a 2D Metroid since Zero Mission and Fusion? I mean WHAT THE HELL -- I am one of MANY huge fans of the 2D Metroid games (I like Prime, too, by the way) and really wish they would go back to their roots.

My opinion: OTHER M SUCKS. And it is NOT a 2D Metroid game. Nuff' said on the matter.

@Tagzard: LOL @ your +1 garbage post.
tongue.gif
Agreed, hradware limitations.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
coolness said:
why have there never been a metroid n64 game created by retro/nintendo?
but only on nes snes later gba and gamecube etc?

QUOTE"I was actually thinking about the possibility of making a Metroid game for N64 but I felt that I shouldn't be the one making the game. When I held the N64 controller in my hands I just couldn't imagine how it could be used to move Samus around. So for me it was just too early to personally make a 3D Metroid at that time. Also, I know this is isn't a direct answer to your question but Nintendo at that time approached another company and asked them if they would make an N64 version of Metroid and their response was that no, they could not. They turned it down, saying that unfortunately they didn't have the confidence to create an N64 Metroid game that could compare favourably with Super Metroid. That's something I take as a complement to what we achieved with Super Metroid."

From Yoshio Sakamoto, it was rumoured that the company approached was Rare.

It was said many times by Nintendo that they didn't want to make a sequel just for the sake of having one, it would have been the first 3D Metroid title and had to live up to the first 3D entries of Mario & Zelda. Nintendo didn't have any ideas that they felt worked at the time.

To me they are 100% right not to do a game if they didn't feel it was right and its one of the reasons I do still have respect for Nintendo. When it comes to their core series they do tend to do games because they either have a story to tell or an interesting idea...might not always work out to be good (like Other M) but at least they stand by that ethic to this day aside from spin offs of course.

I'm good about not having a N64 Metroid game, if that happened then we may have never had the excellent Prime series.

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Schlupi said:
My guess is this:

@Tagzard: LOL @ your +1 post.
tongue.gif

its true what you said they could have made a 2D game because im also a metroid fan
and nintendo created the legend of zelda on n64 why no fucking metroid game 3D 2D the game it zelf is perfect so..

Hadrian said:
coolness said:
why have there never been a metroid n64 game created by retro/nintendo?
but only on nes snes later gba and gamecube etc?

"I was actually thinking about the possibility of making a Metroid game for N64 but I felt that I shouldn't be the one making the game. When I held the N64 controller in my hands I just couldn't imagine how it could be used to move Samus around. So for me it was just too early to personally make a 3D Metroid at that time. Also, I know this is isn't a direct answer to your question but Nintendo at that time approached another company and asked them if they would make an N64 version of Metroid and their response was that no, they could not. They turned it down, saying that unfortunately they didn't have the confidence to create an N64 Metroid game that could compare favourably with Super Metroid. That's something I take as a complement to what we achieved with Super Metroid."

From Yoshio Sakamoto, it was rumoured that the company approached was Rare.

It was said many times by Nintendo that they didn't want to make a sequel just for the sake of having one, it would have been the first 3D Metroid title and had to live up to the first 3D entries of Mario & Zelda. Nintendo didn't have any ideas that they felt worked at the time.

To me they are 100% right not to do a game if they didn't feel it was right and its one of the reasons I do still have respect for Nintendo. When it comes to their core series they do tend to do games because they either have a story to tell or an interesting idea...might not always work out to be good (like Other M) but at least they stand by that ethic to this day aside from spin offs of course.

I'm good about not having a N64 Metroid game, if that happened then we may have never had the excellent Prime series.
ow okey i wish there was 1 maybe, It could be a beautiful game but too bad that they didnt have ideas at that moment
frown.gif

Ultralex

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wasn't Prime first planned for the N64 and then moved to the GC?
I think I read it on Unseen 64 or somewhere.
Anyway I hope Nintendo will do something for Metroids 25th Anniversary,on the E3 it seemed like they'd only care about Zelda.
I mean Mtroid will be 25 in some months,I know it's not a franchise as big as Zelda,but it's still well known.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually though it went the way of Mother 3, it was being devolped for the n64, but was never released.

Though Hadrian is right.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Ultralex said:
Wasn't Prime first planned for the N64 and then moved to the GC?
I think I read it on Unseen 64 or somewhere.
Anyway I hope Nintendo will do something for Metroids 25th Anniversary,on the E3 it seemed like they'd only care about Zelda.
I mean Mtroid will be 25 in some months,I know it's not a franchise as big as Zelda,but it's still well known.

Development has never been done for the Metroid on N64, apparently. They had the idea but...

Sauce here, there, and in the past.

Wikipedia excerpt:

QUOTEAfter Super Metroid, Metroid fans eagerly awaited a sequel. It was supposedly slated for the Nintendo 64 or its ill-fated accessory, the 64DD, but while the game was mentioned, it never entered production. Producer Shigeru Miyamoto explained that it was because Nintendo "couldn't come out with any concrete ideas". Metroid co-creator Yoshio Sakamoto declared that he considered creating a new installment for the Nintendo 64, but was uninterested in being part of its development, particularly because of the console's controller - "I just couldn’t imagine how it could be used to move Samus around". Sakamoto also said Nintendo approached another company to make an N64 Metroid, but the offer was declined as the developer felt they could not make a game that could be up to Super Metroid's standards.

The sauces supplied prove the Wiki, so don't say "OMG WIKIPEDIA GROW UP" lol.

So yeah, My guess was kind right. They just couldn't think of an efficient way to produce a good Metroid game with the N64's hardware.

LOL Hadrian got it first.
tongue.gif
I agree with him completely by the way. Why would you WANT a game that they would half ass or not see as the perfect game they want to produce? Let the guys do their work; because DAMN, when the Metroid team DOES THEIR WORK (without Team Ninja cough cough) they do it SO GOD DAMNED GOOD.
smile.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
Let the guys do their work; because DAMN, when the Metroid team DOES THEIR WORK (without Team Ninja cough cough) they do it SO GOD DAMNED GOOD.
smile.gif
Or Retro! If I was Nintendo I'd get Retro to do Zelda, that series is getting a tad stale and samey.

Ben_j

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
I remember from my old N64 magazines that a Metroid 64 game was planned.
I'm not sure, but I think it became Metroid Prime

QUOTE said:
games™: "This apprehension over 3D gaming, is that the reason there was never a Metroid 64?"
Sakamoto: "I was actually thinking about the possibility of making a Metroid game for N64 but I felt that I shouldn't be the one making the game. When I held the N64 controller in my hands I just couldn't imagine how it could be used to move Samus around. So for me it was just too early to personally make a 3D Metroid at that time. Also, I know this is isn't a direct answer to your question but Nintendo at that time approached another company and asked them if they would make an N64 version of Metroid and their response was that no, they could not. They turned it down, saying that unfortunately they didn't have the confidence to create an N64 Metroid game that could compare favourably with Super Metroid. That's something I take as a complement to what we achieved with Super Metroid."

games™: "Can you say who that company was?"

Sakamoto: "Sorry, I cannot."

Apparently, there's never been any game in production.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_64

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
Schlupi said:
Let the guys do their work; because DAMN, when the Metroid team DOES THEIR WORK (without Team Ninja cough cough) they do it SO GOD DAMNED GOOD.
smile.gif
Or Retro! If I was Nintendo I'd get Retro to do Zelda, that series is getting a tad stale and samey.

Hahaha, I meant to say Retro too.
tongue.gif
I LOVE the job they did with Donkey Kong Country Returns; that was really good (I was afraid it'd suck).

FUnny enough I have been playing through Super Metroid and Zero Mission the past few days.
tongue.gif

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
coolness said:
ever heard of metroid dread it have also never be released but than on the NDS

Yeah, it was just a rumoured game. There was no concrete evidence it ever existed, nor any info on if it ever was even developed lol (besides gossipy magazines making fake release dates).

METROID 2 FOR 3DS VC!!!

coolness

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, coolness; they picture you posted is ACTUALLY a screenshot from Prime 3: Corruption. That is where a lot of the Dread rumours had started...

Everything else you posted is just for lulz.
wink.gif
Like I said, the only "evidence" was that scene in Prime 3, and the info gathered by magazines and such (YOU CAN'T SPELL IGNORANCE WITHOUT IGN
wink.gif
).

By the way, that text was different in the Japanese version, to avoid confusion.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_Dread

Seriously; IGN fucked up hard with that article... I dunno where they get their "facts" from half the time.

coolness

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Schlupi said:
Yeah, coolness; they picture you posted is ACTUALLY a screenshot from Prime 3: Corruption. That is where a lot of the Dread rumours had started...

Everything else you posted is just for lulz.
wink.gif
Like I said, the only "evidence" was that scene in Prime 3, and the info gathered by magazines and such (YOU CAN'T SPELL IGNORANCE WITHOUT IGN
wink.gif
).

By the way, that text was different in the Japanese version, to avoid confusion.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_Dread

Seriously; IGN fucked up hard with that article... I dunno where they get their "facts" from half the time.
ow ok too bad those 2 games never get released on NDS and N64 because it where great systems and there where somuch things and also they could ask a fan for ideas for metroid N64.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's certainly better than the first but it's not awesome either.