Hacking Why must we downgrade to 2.10 from 9.20?

Chiqx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey. I'm asking myself why we have to downgrade from 9.2.0 instead of another version and why exactly 2.1.0? I've done the downgrade myself but now I'm asking myself why I did those steps ^^

Gesendet von meinem SM-N910F mit Tapatalk

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, if you did read the guide, then you would know why.
Specifically, this part (in the new guide):

"Since version 3.0, the OTP is locked out early in sysNAND boot. There is a New 3DS only exploit that works on 9.6, but it requires extra hardware. The solution we are using is to flash a 2.1.0CTRNAND partition and firmware to the device, allowing us to retrieve the OTP."

So in short and easy terms, you want the OTP of your console, but you can only get it (easily) using 2.1.0.

Last edited by DBlaze,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
tl;dr
there's an oversight on < 3.0 that allows the dumping of the console unique data needed to install a9lh.

TheToaster

Kishore
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey. I'm asking myself why we have to downgrade from 9.2.0 instead of another version and why exactly 2.1.0? I've done the downgrade myself but now I'm asking myself why I did those steps ^^

For arm9loaderhax, you need the OTP. Nintendo has locked the OTP memory region, but forgot to do so in version 2.1.0

Last edited by TheToaster,

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Because Nintendo forgot to block the OTP region after boot. Firmware versions >3.0.0 block the otp region just after booting, so it becomes unaccesible. You need your otp which is unique to you in order to get neccesary keys to make the 3ds think that a9lh is legit.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
And what exactly is otp?

One-time-programmable - It's console-unique data burned into the CPU by the factory to help improve the 3ds's security.
Nintendo mistakenly forgot to clear this info out of RAM during boot on < 3.0 firmwares and that's why we downgrade to get it.

Before you ask, no emunand will not work because the OTP is locked shortly after power-on from > 3.0 firms. Boot to 9.2 sysnand then going to 2.1 emunand thus wouldn't work.

Last edited by zoogie,

GilgameshArcher

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But I get my
One-time-programmable - It's console-unique data burned into the CPU by the factory to help improve the 3ds's security.
Nintendo mistakenly forgot to clear this info out of RAM during boot on < 3.0 firmwares and that's why we downgrade to get it.

Before you ask, no emunand will not work because the OTP is locked shortly after power-on from > 3.0 firms. Boot to 9.2 sysnand then going to 2.1 emunand thus wouldn't work.
But I got my beautiful OTP downgrading my RedNAND

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So in short and easy terms, you want the OTP of your console, but you can only get it (easily) using 2.1.0.

because otp is locked versions after 2.1 we need otp for a9lh so its black magic

tl;dr
there's an oversight on < 3.0 that allows the dumping of the console unique data needed to install a9lh.

For arm9loaderhax, you need the OTP. Nintendo has locked the OTP memory region, but forgot to do so in version 2.1.0

Because Nintendo forgot to block the OTP region after boot.
This sounds fun, can I join in?

"You need 2.1 to get your OTP!"

Last edited by sj33,
Reactions: astronautlevel

Chiqx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This is so fascinating. Everytime I open up my ds this comes to my mind. Like, those hackers must be geniuses o.o how do you even come up with these hacks and exploits :D
Whatever thanks to all hackers who have made this possible :)

Reactions: GilgameshArcher

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i know this isn't the place but does/did anybody have the same issue as me?