WHY move emuNAND to sysNAND? (in A9HL to B9S guide)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by tkg21, Jun 10, 2017.

1. tkg21
    OP

tkg21 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2008
    Brazil
    I'm confused as if I should really move to sysNAND.
    I read in the https://sciresm.github.io/33-and-a-half-c3/ that this hack wouldn't be fixable.
    So I should move from emuNAND, because it's now obsolete?
    Is there another reason?
    Do I have to do it, in order to keep my system updated?

Thanks in regards!

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    The topic title asks for the opposite...

Yes, emunand has had disadvantages (wasted space, more hassle when switching SD cards, can't hotswap cards, incompatible with DSi/GBA mode) since it was first invented.

It however is a necessary evil if you want an updated system with menuhax, or if you use Gateway for any reason as Gateway's CFW is inherently unsafe

"Unfixable" in that presentation means a different thing (installation can't be prevented);
    A9LH with the right CFW settings was already "unfixable" as in an update can't remove it, and the same is true of Sighax/B9S

Last edited by Ryccardo, Jun 10, 2017
  3. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    it's because emunand provides no extra protections anymore (it didn't with a9lh either). its original purpose and what most people used it for was to keep an outdated sysnand, so they could use an updated emunand with cfw. since we have boot-time custom firmware this doesn't apply anymore. though Gateway still needs one....

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    There's no reason for emuNAND anymore if you are using Luma3DS with A9LH or BS9. If you are following this guide, follow it exactly to move to sysNAND.

5. tkg21
    OP

tkg21 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2008
    Brazil
    oh, shoots... how do I edit it?! :wacko:

6. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Well there are two reasons: working around the 300 title limit or having a region changed emunand while keeping your sysnand the "proper" region. In that case you would want to swap your sysnand and emunand, assuming both are already unlinked.

7. tkg21
    OP

tkg21 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2008
    Brazil
    Thanks guys! That helped a lot!
    I'll continue to move from emuNAND to sysNAND then... just hope I don't get a problem like BanditBat...

8. Haider Raza

Haider Raza Alhumdulillah

GBAtemp Patron
    Haider Raza is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 30, 2016
    Pakistan
    Gateway still haven't gave the update 3months passed since last message.