Why isn't the Bluray drive improving with each new PS3 model?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by synce, Sep 17, 2012.

1. synce
    OP

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    Is it a game compatibility issue or are they just pinching pennies? A super slim PS3 with 4x BD drive would be killer

2. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Why? How would that be fair to the people who already own PS3's and have a slower Blu Ray drive?

3. synce
    OP

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    I don't think it's an issue of 'fairness'... I mean look at something like the DS, which got redesigned several times with improved and even completely new features, and that turned out well for Nintendo :)

4. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Higher speed would mean more heat; more heat equals faster breakdown.

5. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    It's not out of character for ol' Sony to fiddle with their console designs. I swear, there's been a zillion revisions of each Playstation generation! :P It's puh-retty interesting, actually!

Although, Sony generally only makes revisions in order to make their consoles cheaper or more efficient, so features aren't usually added. Heck, if anything, they take out features!

This makes some of their older console models really interesting and sought-after! For instance, some of the first Playstations had purportedly fantastic sound output, the first PS2 models had a different expansion bay, and most notably, the first chunky PS3 models had PS2 emulation!

Nifty stuff, to be sure! But don't count on ol' Sony adding speedier Blu-ray drives. You never, know, though!

1 person likes this.
  6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Holy shit, geoflcl posted!

Agreed with him though, that revisions usually make things cheaper, and only when "cheaper" actually meets up with "better performance" (such as a theoretical die shrink meaning less heat and power draw) are improvements expected. I mean, you know, not counting things like the systems becoming slimmer and lighter, which is cool up to a point.

wut
    Apple comes out with new laptops all the time, Samsung comes out with faster phones all the time, Dell comes out with faster desktops all the time.
    How is any of that fair to people who own the slower models?

I was using a 475mhz Compaq machine for multiple years while other people got to use machines with steadily-increasing processors and RAM capacity and GPUs, how is that fair?

7. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    I look at them as more of newer generations.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    At which, the consoles or the other devices?

9. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    Other devices, like the Laptops. A new hardware all together. I mean, yeah there are some hardware revisions in consoles, but that's it, nothing to make it better, it's just different hardware that does the same thing.

10. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    I was always under the assumption Sony stuck with the slower BD-Drive was probably to ensure compatibility with all PS3 games or something along those lines