Why isn't my WiFi Router showing a Log of Connections ??

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by CannonFoddr, Aug 3, 2010.

1. CannonFoddr
    OP

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    First a bit of background - The WiFi Router is a 'Belkin N150 Cable' router, & I'm connected to VirginMedia as my ISP

I set it up using the setup wizard disk that came with it - & although I had a little hiccup @ first, the second attempt worked fine

I managed to get My PC (which is wired in), my Laptop (with a USB WiFi adaptor),Mobile Phone (Nokia 5800), DSi & Wii to connect to the WiFi & have internet access with no problems & when I go to the 'Belkin Router Setting' webpage (http://192.168.2.1) each of these show up on the LAN > DHCP list (The Mobile shows up as 'unknown' but everything else comes up with a name)

I have changed NO settings on the setup page other than the 'Wireless Channel number' from 'Auto' to '6' (thought that the Router was changing addresses 'automatically' & since the Laptop USB only had a fixed address - i thought it was this that was causing Laptop to 'drop-off' the WiFi - I was wrong but can't be bothered to change it back to 'Auto')

Now IF I go to Firewall > Security Log the only thing that shows up on the log is my PC IP address under 'system log' (& that only appears when I login/out), there's NOTHING under Firewall (& the Firewall IS turned on).

I would expected that there should be SOME type of record/log of the Laptop/Phone etc etc connecting via WiFi somewhere - but where is it ??
    I've looked through all the options on the Router Setting page & can't find anything.

Is there one & where do I find it ?? - 'cos I'd like to know if there's anyone else attempting to connect - or have a record of When I used What to browse the WWW etc

EDIT: FYI - apart from the Windows Software Firewall & the Belkin hardware Firewall - I don't have any other type of firewall

2. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    even on my router I have a speedtouch 780 wifi router and I only have even logs for when the router is switched on that located in the actual internet setup, I have intrusion logs for the firewall and thats all on 0

on some routers you have to turn on such logs and then they email you the logs my last router did that for cable

for the wifi devices check to see if any unknown devices except your mobile each device would be assigned an IP and MAC address and if any other connects then you can quickly remove them, if your worried about people hacking your router turn the new registration or conenction for the wifi network to register only or set to no new stations allowed, these can be found in the config of the wifi on the router if you did not know where.

I hope this helps

3. CannonFoddr
    OP

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Thanks for that little bit of Info - glad to know I'm not blind looking for something that doesn't actually exist.

It seems my Router doesn't have the facility for emailing me (well I can't see an option anywhere about emails) - so I guess that's out

As for the 'worried about people hacking' - I'm not that worried.
    Apparently on my router I have an LED that turns red that indicates that someone is trying to connect wirelessly to the router using the incorrect wireless security key - & I'm guessing that something in the log file will (should) show up if that happens (I guess I could try something like that to see IF something DOES show up)

All I really was looking for was something that'll log all incoming/outgoing connections to the router (both wired/WiFi) just so that I have a record - & also something that's logged how many 'attempts/hacks' to the PC have been tried like my old software firewall [Comodo] which use to have a log file that showed 'blocked attempts' into the PC

4. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    TBH the email logs are really annoying because it emails you like 50k a day and they are really hard to read at most times, most routers have logs but they are connection logs to connect to the net, I suppose cisco routers and other higher end business model routers will have the full logging capability