Why is writing at a slower speed so important?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by XxOblivion77, Nov 10, 2008.

1. XxOblivion77
    OP

Member XxOblivion77 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Why can't I just write at 16x?

What does it effect anyway?

2. tomazzzi

Member tomazzzi GBAtemp Regular

i burn all my dvd at 16X

So speed isn t important at all

3. 20clarky08

Member 20clarky08 Official Wii Freak

United Kingdom
    basically just write it at the speed the disc says it will write at, if it works then cool

otherwise try slower.

4. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    Its not "so important" its just people on here with their Myths
    Just like Bushing said a myth, e.g. no-one knows if playing a dvd in the wii will shorten laser life (its bullshit, its capable)

5. zerof

Member zerof GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've read burning at max is better. Just look at the disc and use that speed. ;P

6. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    yep

7. quim69

Member quim69 GBAtemp Fan

Andorra
    It isn't important anymore.

In CD-R days it was very important. Even at the advent of DVD-R it held some relevance.

Now it's a fallacy that actually damages quality.

Burning at 4x on modern (8x or above) discs with a modern burner is about the worst quality you will achieve. No current burners have a write strategy of 4x on these discs. If you want to write at 4x use 4x discs on an ancient 4x burner.

The best speeds for current hardware and blanks is between 8-16x. Good quality discs will give excellent results at any of those speeds - to find out which is best for your discs do some test burns and then do some PIF scans.

If you use lower quality dyes then stick to 8x.

8. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Sounds like a job for Adam and Jamie.
    I'm sure they'll sort this out and find a cool way to blow up the dvds.

9. djdynamite123

United Kingdom
    The wii drive is capable at reading discs from lowest -highest speed, IT DOESN'T MATTER
    e.g. does your pc internal/external burner LIFE going to get shortened by reading 2x speed written data dvds compared to 16x speed written, Its bullsh*t, MYTH

And for the record, FINALISING isn't required and certainly not needed.

10. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    For a dvd drive it is a difference to read originals and to read DVD-Rs. Back in the ps2 mod chip days everybody knew, you need a mod chip and you need to increase the "power" of the laser in order to read DVD-Rs. This resulted in quick dying lasers. Oh and all DVD burners i have seen till the 8x generation were crap. I know many people skip the verification, and i know why they do it: Most of the time the verification failed. The discs were readable, most of the stuff was usable, but you couldn't rely on being able to copy all the stuff back to your HDD. This happend with ALL possible writing speeds. This is the reason why i started early with only using verbatim DVD-Rs, with these you had a 2:1 chance to get a good burn(to pass the verification). With newer burners i can always use max speed. But i only rely on the speed specification, if my software confirms it.

11. h_2_o

Newcomer h_2_o Member

United States
    I have a bit different opinion on this than most. a lot say burn at full and a lot say burn at 4x, every wii i've done i have found is picky and different. test out your media and burning speeds and burn at what works best on your wii. forget about wooohooo i burned at eleventy billion x now i have 8 more seconds to play carnival games, just get good burns the first time by testing and stop posting why do i get dre's all the time.

12. hyperg

Newcomer hyperg Member

United States
    well its like when i burn dvds for dvd players at full speed, I end up with discs that don't playback well in dvd players , it just tends to get picky then. When I burn at a slow speed discs read fine for me and don't end up being bad . So really, just depends on where you are sticking the discs in , if the drive is capable of playing the disc fine , then you shouldn't have problems but when it's in a case of where you are burning for various different disc drives , then thats when you should worry but in the case of wii it might not be too much of a problem burning at 16x .

13. djdynamite123

United Kingdom
    i prefer to stick to the same brand, and only ever write at 8x Ritek G05ICE(never finalise) perfect for data & iso's [​IMG]

14. Hacksaw

Newcomer Hacksaw Member

United Kingdom
    Just out of curiosity how do you know that it makes no difference what speed you burn at , I'm not saying your making it up but some reading on the matter would be nice I've been wondering this now for days.

15. dr99

Newcomer dr99 Member

United States
    the most important thing is to always buy verbatim media. when using cheap media like sony i have to burn at 8x to not get skipping, but on verbs i can burn at 16x. when i check my burns with dvdspeed both the good media and cheap media get more errors when burned at 8x than 16x. so if you use verbs you can burn at full speed while still keeping your disk readable.

16. quim69

Member quim69 GBAtemp Fan

Andorra
    get dvdinfopro, a burner that is good at scanning (definitely not pioneer - they are good burners but no good for scans. plextor, benq, (some) liteon are good) and do pif scans.

You'll soon learn the difference between a good burn and a bad one.

17. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    all my wii games are burn on sony discs at 6x speed and they don't skip and play fine, they certainly are not cheap either, they are grade A media.

18. djdynamite123

United Kingdom
    exactly...

full of sh*t some people, why always say verbatim are the best, they aren't maybe in the eyes of stats on certain webs...
    anyway that's enough about burning, burn how you want to, its a different subject burning for modded wii to burning for BACKUP LOADERS............

19. Flawsdraw

Member Flawsdraw GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    tbh different Wii's read differently, mine reads 4x perfectly, 6x,8x skip on mine and my parents but not on my brothers so I write everything at 4x and i all works, when i burned at 16x when I 1st started doing Wii games (used Verbatim, TDK and Sony branded discs so nothing cheap) my audio was dodgy and picture was like being on acid, after many waste of discs 4x finally worked perfectly, my wii is also the only Wii out of 5 I have done that accept my -RW disc all others come up with Disc Error in the disc channel, so my theory is that each to their own [​IMG]

EDIT: Sony and TDK have worked so much more better than Verbatim, and I have had loads of diff packs that turned into coasters, the best brand I have used and use now are Omega Lightscribe discs

20. Patryc

Member Patryc GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom