Why is this deleted?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Trash_Bandatcoot, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Trash_Bandatcoot
    OP

Trash_Bandatcoot Your average GBAtemp fanboy

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/this-unknown-wii-song.515351/#post-8224283

Somehow this was a "WARE" and someone commented:
    "WTF is with you and warez?"

I'M SORRY, BUT IT'S VERY CONFUSING WHEN SOMETHING IS A WARE AND SOMETHING ISN'T.
    Previously, I posted a low-quality version of the hidden Super GameBoy Credits music wondering what that was and SOMEHOW THAT WASN'T A WARE.

2. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    warez is the share of roms, isos or something that might caught the attention of nintendo or other parties and shut this website down...
    if you post a game, even a modified one, if it has content that belongs to a company like nintendo, isn't allowed.

that credit song was very likely ignored either because the mods didn't noticed or gave it a slack (maybe it was hosted in youtube?)

if you want to share a modified game (for example a rom hack) you are required to "remove the copyright" part which usually its done by giving users the patch that only contains the modification part.

3. Trash_Bandatcoot
    OP

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    No, it was hosted to a music hosting platform, a mod contacted me that the problem was I named "MarioC***'* ********" (cencored that on purphose)
    So, if I post it again with all the paths removed, it is allowed.

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it's very simple to understand what you can share or not :
    if you created it, it's fine.
    if you didn't, then you can't share it : you need to ask permission to its original author.

ask yourself : is it mine ? does it contains anything (picture, sound, data, code, etc.) created by someone else and it's supposed to be sold and the person is not making money if I share it ?
    this is the main offense : providing for free something usually sold.

but money is not the only reason. you can be forbidden to share something free too (something can be free but copyrighted, or specifically asked not to rehost/share).
    so, to make it simple, if it's yours there's no problem, if not be sure you have author's agreement.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 18, 2018
    Uiaad likes this.
  5. Trash_Bandatcoot
    OP

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hmm, makes sence. I'll look out for that then.