Hacking Why is there no option to boot into Sysnand Gateway Mode when Emunand is present?

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
This seems like a no brainer! If I dont have an emunand on the card it boots into Sysnand but allows me to use Gateway. When you have emunand then it boots into it without any choice.

How is there no option to choose between the 2?

What is the easiest way to boot into SysNand Gateway Mode if I have emunand?

Reactions: Margen67

iViperz

Trophies
XP
Country
This seems like a no brainer! If I dont have an emunand on the card it boots into Sysnand but allows me to use Gateway. When you have emunand then it boots into it without any choice.

How is there no option to choose between the 2?

What is the easiest way to boot into SysNand Gateway Mode if I have emunand?

Why exactly would you want to boot gateway mode in sysnand anyways?

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
use a different SD card....they probably dont offer it as people would likely end up updating their sysnand

Yeah I mean thats the solution for now, but that makes it onconvenient to have to carry another sd card with me... really annoying that this isnt an option as it seems like an easy implementation. Something like "Hold Select" or something to boot into SysNand...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
is there many situations where you need to boot up into sysnand?
a sort of solution would be using a microSD in an adapter as your bigSD, and then when you want to boot into sysnand you can just swap the one out of the gateway card with the launcher.dat on it to install a cia file or whatever, then switch back afterwards, but really, there isnt many situations where booting into sysnand is beneficial, and even in those situations its more of a 1 time thing, like installing the whitelist

Reactions: Ronhero

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
is there many situations where you need to boot up into sysnand?
a sort of solution would be using a microSD in an adapter as your bigSD, and then when you want to boot into sysnand you can just swap the one out of the gateway card with the launcher.dat on it to install a cia file or whatever, then switch back afterwards, but really, there isnt many situations where booting into sysnand is beneficial, and even in those situations its more of a 1 time thing, like installing the whitelist

Yes, I always want to use Gateway in Sysnand mode, always! The only time I want emunand is to play CIAs.... this means, I always need Gateway mode to boot into Sysnand... "well easy, you may say, then dont install Emunand"... well then sometimes I need emunand to play CIAs. And current solution involves carrying 2 SD cards with me... which is retarded considering how easy it would be to implement an option on boot.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yes, I always want to use Gateway in Sysnand mode, always! The only time I want emunand is to play CIAs.... this means, I always need Gateway mode to boot into Sysnand... "well easy, you may say, then dont install Emunand"... well then sometimes I need emunand to play CIAs. And current solution involves carrying 2 SD cards with me... which is retarded considering how easy it would be to implement an option on boot.
.....the question is .....why do you want to play everything in sysnand? whats wrong with just using emunand?

im not saying that it wouldnt be handy to have that feature, but pick your poison, emunand or no emunand...its not a hard choice, you seem to be making things harder for yourself for no reason, there is virtually zero benefit in not using emunand....in fact you loose features,

next we will have people asking if helicopter manufacturers will add wheels to their helicopter so they can drive with the traffic rather than fly over it

Reactions: Maximilious

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
.....the question is .....why do you want to play everything in sysnand? whats wrong with just using emunand?

im not saying that it wouldnt be handy to have that feature, but pick your poison, emunand or no emunand...its not a hard choice, you seem to be making things harder for yourself for no reason, there is virtually zero benefit in not using emunand....in fact you loose features,

because I want my game history saved and tracked in Sysnand, same place where its been tracked for the last 3+ years. Thats where all my streetpassing is etc... raelly if I didnt have to use emunand for CIAS i would use sysnand for everything.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
because I want my game history saved and tracked in Sysnand, same place where its been tracked for the last 3+ years. Thats where all my streetpassing is etc... raelly if I didnt have to use emunand for CIAS i would use sysnand for everything.
lets be honest, you will keep your progress getting tracked in emunand....it will be exactly as if you where continuing from where you left off on sysnand.....by playing cia files in emunand, you have already split it, so you might as well just use emunand and have done with, there will probably be a way to copy your emunand play logs back to sysnand if you ever decide to not be using gateway and want to update sysnand, each to their own, but i promise, you just accepting it and switching over to emunand for everything will be better in the long run, you will just have 2 activity logs now with .3DS vs .cia, and i doubt you will be able to merge them at any point

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Don't create emunand, don't update your system firmware. Installing cia's into sysnand, I only tried that with the DS bypass exploit and thats it.

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
lets be honest, you will keep your progress getting tracked in emunand....it will be exactly as if you where continuing from where you left off on sysnand.....by playing cia files in emunand, you have already split it, so you might as well just use emunand and have done with, there will probably be a way to copy your emunand play logs back to sysnand if you ever decide to not be using gateway and want to update sysnand, each to their own, but i promise, you just accepting it and switching over to emunand for everything will be better in the long run, you will just have 2 activity logs now with .3DS vs .cia, and i doubt you will be able to merge them at any point

Ok, it sounds like you are trying to pitch to me what I am already doing and am not happy with. no thats not how I want to do things. My SysNand and Emunand are not connected, and my emunand has 0 streetpasses and 0 games played on it. Instead of trying to convince ourselves its fine the way it is, we should ask for more functionality. More options is never a bad thing, why settle? It would be easy to implement and would satisfy both camps, those that want to use emunand for everything and those that dont. I personally have about 600$ worth of games on my sysnand that I bought, I want to use them and not fake cia copies of them. Therefore sysnand is a much better place for me to play than emunand. like I said, if I didnt have to use emunand for cias I wouldnt. I also have another $350 worth of cartridge games that I bought that I still play in native (non gateway mode) sysnand is my preferred playground.

I guess this discussion answers my question.. there is no better solution than having 2 SD cards... that sucks :( I hope the option is added later.. make it something crazy, like hold both triggers and A and Select... something thats hard to do, but I want that option, I am sure there are a lot of others that do as well.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, it sounds like you are trying to pitch to me what I am already doing and am not happy with. no thats not how I want to do things. My SysNand and Emunand are not connected, and my emunand has 0 streetpasses and 0 games played on it. Instead of trying to convince ourselves its fine the way it is, we should ask for more functionality. More options is never a bad thing, why settle? It would be easy to implement and would satisfy both camps, those that want to use emunand for everything and those that dont. I personally have about 600$ worth of games on my sysnand that I bought, I want to use them and not fake cia copies of them. Therefore sysnand is a much better place for me to play than emunand. like I said, if I didnt have to use emunand for cias I wouldnt. I also have another $350 worth of cartridge games that I bought that I still play in native (non gateway mode) sysnand is my preferred playground.

I guess this discussion answers my question.. there is no better solution than having 2 SD cards... that sucks :( I hope the option is added later.. make it something crazy, like hold both triggers and A and Select... something thats hard to do, but I want that option, I am sure there are a lot of others that do as well.

Ok.......so why do you have emunand if you've had zero games played, zero cia's on there? Use your sysnand get rid of emunand. The only problem I see is if there are any games that require the 9.3+ firmware to be installed than you will have no choice but to use emunand. GW exploit will be rendered useless if you update your sysnand.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
format emunand again, and keep them linked or format sysnand(you can always restore a nand backup if you get your feature added), this way emunand will have all your progress from sysnand, and all your games, feel free to email gateway and request the feature, but imho its a backwards approach. and will more than likely lead you to issues down the line with game incompatibility etc

anyways, good luck and i hope you find a solution that suits you

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Ok.......so why do you have emunand if you've had zero games played, zero cia's on there? Use your sysnand get rid of emunand. The only problem I see is if there are any games that require the 9.3+ firmware to be installed than you will have no choice but to use emunand. GW exploit will be rendered useless if you update your sysnand.

I have CIAs installed there, I just havent played them yet. Plus I have to use emunand for eshop as sysnand 9.2 wont go on eshop

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
format emunand again, and keep them linked or format sysnand(you can always restore a nand backup if you get your feature added), this way emunand will have all your progress from sysnand, and all your games, feel free to email gateway and request the feature, but imho its a backwards approach. and will more than likely lead you to issues down the line with game incompatibility etc

anyways, good luck and i hope you find a solution that suits you

Cant format sysnand, I have a ton of eshop games there with saves etc... if I format I cant re-download them from eshop. Plus why would I format it.. the whole point is to keep it! If the yare linked then CIAS are wrapped every time and you can accidentaly wipe your data by going to data management. keeping them linked is the most terrible idea! how is it a backward approach? Things that work now will always work. So if something comes around that needs emunand, then you boot into emunand and play it. The whole point is that you have option of both! It doesnt take anything away by having that option. We'll have games requiring 9.4 in 6 months or so, those can be played in Emunand, but that doesnt mean that current 300+ games cant be played in sysnand forever.

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Dude you could backup the saves with savedatafiler, and then re-download them with emunand, and restoring the saves if the emunand doesn't have the games in sysnand, your logic is very strange on why you want to use sysnand like that, also you could make a new emunand that is a reflection of the sysnand, and never use sysnand again

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Contact gateway and offer to contract them to add the feature you want. They are a business and I am sure would jump at the opportunity for more profits. There are probably only a handful of people that want to do it your way so I doubt they will add your feature without some profit incentive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.