Hacking Why is there no option to boot into Sysnand Gateway Mode when Emunand is present?

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
because I want my game history saved and tracked in Sysnand, same place where its been tracked for the last 3+ years. Thats where all my streetpassing is etc... raelly if I didnt have to use emunand for CIAS i would use sysnand for everything.

You know, I understand why you want this so bad. When I started using Gateway my SysNAND was full of logs, themes, updates, DLC, streetpasses, etc.

But instead of double dipping I injected my SysNAND backup into my EmuNAND (using emuNAND Tool) and replaced the files on my SD card for the original files of my SysNAND. Then I removed my SD card and completely formatted SysNAND to unlink it.

And there we go: My EmuNAND is my new "main NAND" including all my original logs, streetpasses and other stuff while my SysNAND is nothing but an empty shell. I can do anything I want on my EmuNAND (ROMs, CIA, retail games in classic mode, streetpass and even eshop when the current FW is supported by Gateway). All I'm using SysNAND for is to play NDS games. If I want to enter it without rebooting, I just open system settings and press X.

There is only one downside to this: I can't play GBA and DSiware games. I'm feeling a little guilty whenever I notice Dragon Quest Wars on my EmuNAND. :D

EDIT: Oh, and as others already pointed out: Use a smart device if there's no access point in reach. If you don't want that, look for Gateway 3DS Traveler.

jrebey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That device makes little sense to me. You can buy a cheap prepaid android device for less than that and it's easier to configure.

Lush

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I understand what the op wants and I agree with him. I'm in a situation where this option would be beneficial.. My 4 year old son has his 2ds and all of the Mario retail cartridges that he plays nearly exclusively... Having him always ask me to switch games is a pain and a liability (lose cartridges), so when I seen the appearance of clean CIA games I thought it was great... I've installed the clean cias to sysnand and he turns on the system and plays, no more cartridge swapping and he can manage everything without my help... I have the wireless turned off and WiFi connections deleted so that I have no worries of him accidentally updating.. It would be far too risky for me to enable him to use the online 2ds exploit to enter emunand every time the system cycles power (daily)... For the rare occasion that he needs gateway, I could trigger the exploit myself, run emunand and turn it back over to him... However, 99% of the time, sysnand with clean cias is perfect... The problem is that its not user friendly to install said cias if you have emunand on the SD card... Hopefully gateway can appreciate this as a viable option and provide it in a future update.. As mentioned earlier, use a complex button hold while booting gateway to allow for this very rare, but essential mode the achieve this request... As it stands now, I cannot have emunand on the same SD as the clean cias, so I have to swap SD cards out to boot emunand.. I know that's not a big deal, but its an inconvenience and a workaround none the less...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.