Hacking Why is there no cool homebrew on NDS?

Largo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey folks,

what i'm really missing for NDS is a vital homebrew scene with really great applications. I was into the PSP for some time and while the games in general sucked the homebrew scene was really interesting. A lot of nice little games came from the Lua development (which is as well possible for NDS with www.dslua.com).

Besides DSOrganize i didn't find any really cool app which lasted for more than some minutes on my SD.
To set this into perspective: do you have any favorite application and what is it?

I like to make this thread a good collection of nice programs for the DS.
Please post your favorites.

Cheers,
Largo

Ichiban

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Win2DS is great, DS2key is great for playing emu's.
Sylphamp is great for streaming music.

Those are some of my fav's...But there's more.
smile.gif

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beup - MSN Messenger alternative for the DS
SylphAMP - Winamp plugin, and DS Client to allow streaming audio anywhere in the US
NDSMail - a Pop3 email client for the DS - also compatible with SSL, and therefore Gmail
Moonshell - How did I not list this one on top? The best media player app for the DS, BAR NONE.
DSLinux - Linux on the DS, need I say more?
TI-85 - an emulated TI-85 calculator on the DS
Draw3 - a work in progress drawing application that allows saving in .png format
ReinMoon (or Rein) - Save game manager that allows extracting and inserting Save Game Data from/to a DS Game Cart (also compatible with M3 saves)
WinDS - hopefully (though not touched much lately) an up and coming great PDA style alternative to DSOrganize or M3's new PDA software.

NOW, for the games I enjoy thoroughly:
SquareDS - a fun little flash game that has now been ported to the DS
A Touch of War - a GREAT RTS game without a story (it's only bad point, IMO)
Blubb - wifi multiplayer psuedo-Battleship game
ExplosiveGas - wifi multiplayer bomberman clone
Rush Hour - a great puzzle game that is needing a few additions, but is still intensely fun and addicting
Sudoku - worth a mention, as it was the first alternative to Brain Age for Sudoku on the DS.
Twin Isles - a GREAT up and coming strategy sim, like a combination of Simcity or Civilisation and any other RTS...

And that's just the stuff *I* mess with.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theres Explosive Gas, which is a Bomberman clone with 8(Might be 4 >_>) player WIFI!
wub.gif
but no one is ever on :'(

corbs132

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pointyremote, ds vnc-like client to control (and see!) a computer. dessonance, which is still beta, for wifi radio, and many more

EDIT: ndshb.com forgot to say that

blizeH

Trophies
Website
www.zestdesign.net
XP
Country
Hmm, another person here very unimpressed with the state of GBA/NDS homebrew, but ah well!
smile.gif

I'm playing a Touch of War now, and I can't really understand what I have to do. I've got two towers that fire arrows, a house, and two workers who will happily gather gold and wood, but what on earth do I do now? I can't find an option anywhere to build stuff etc!

retrohead

Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
The neoflash coding competition really exploded the scene lately. Homebrew development is also set to make a big change soon aswell as DS Linux has just been made to run on SuperCard with 17Mb of RAM still available which could potentially blow a hole in the scene.

Check out the forum below for all NDS Homebrew applications released this year although you do need to sign up to be able to download anything.

http://www.ds-scene.net/forum/index.php?viewforum=ndssoft

Once you have signed up you can enter the downloads area which has all the games and applications sorted into categories.

madmk

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the reason it hasn't quite taken off as big as the PSP is simply because of the complexity of getting data from a PC onto a DS. With these DS-X/M3 alternative carts coming out I think it will make things easier and kick off a bit. When these become cheap and mainstream everyone will be interested.

The DS seems like its possible of so many things, with Nintendo bringing out internet browsers, mp3 players etc. If Nintendo brought out a pack that could connect and share data between your DS/PC (much like the DS-X/M3 idea) then the scene would be booming. But they're too scared off piracy, which is ashame. I don't think it would hurt them, because people pirate games with ROMs etc already, and think of the sales of the DS Lites and games they're profiting on... One can only hope
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: