Why is there a topic title and a topic description underneath?

delete12345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most forums I go to usually don't have a topic description underneath it. Usually we have to make the title a bit more descriptive than just being vague on the subject.

But this place is different. Because of this, it makes it stand out when compared to others, which I believe it's awesome in the eyes of a notorious user that lurks in vBulletin.

And I know, we can't just compare vBulletin with this...

So, I was wondering why GBATemp.net should have both of these, instead of the usual "Topic Title" and nothing else?

I know it's optional to have a topic description, but why use it?

Thanks in advance.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There's a very simple explanation why we have this:
It's a standard feature of IPB
tongue.gif

But noone forces you to use it if you don't want to
Although you seem to have used it in this topic
wink.gif

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It Cause like...
If you were talking about a game for the DS for example, the game you wanted help with could be... Sonic Classic Collection. and your problem is you cant get it working on your R4.

Your Topic title would be:
Sonic Classic Collection Help.

And your Second line would be:
I can't get it to boot on my R4.

So the First heading (Bigger and more noticeable) is your subject while the little bit of information underneath it is like your Topic ON that subject. I think that makes sense.... If not, im sure you know what i mean.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's for those people who can't make a proper title.
There's newbs that make a topic titled "OMG IMPORTANT READ THIS" and no description. You open it, only to find out somebody's having problems with Bowser's Inside Story on their R4. The description is there to explain what you're talking about, so you could put "OMG IMPORTANT READ THIS" as your title, but put your problem in the description.

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
There's newbs that make a topic titled "OMG IMPORTANT READ THIS" and no description. You open it, only to find out somebody's having problems with Bowser's Inside Story on their R4. The description is there to explain what you're talking about, so you could put "OMG IMPORTANT READ THIS" as your title, but put your problem in the description.
Exactly this.

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
YayMii said:

I like how both our examples relate to R4 XD
But yeah, thats kinda what i was trying to say in my post too.
GO GO YayMii! XD

but you have to take into consideration, Newbs dont use the second line XD
Stupid Newbs XD

delete12345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see.

If the limit of how many words you can put in the title is extended a little bit, the title description is still going to be useful?

And I see that most threads (not all and not few) don't use the title description much at all. I wanted to know why is that?

Thanks in advance.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
Im a little annoyed at how people post HELP ME or READ THIS at their topic title so a description will be helpful.

Unless, the the members are used to making PROPER TOPIC TITLE, there's no need for description unless, otherwise, needed

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think it's a very nice feature to have.
On some other boards where you are not allowed to use it, I see countless post that go like " Pokemon Silver problem " or just " Pokemon Silver ", or just " big problem "...I mean with those hopeless titles I'll never click on it and waste 5 minutes of my life to read yeat another question about the R4.....
So if used properly to give an hint of what the topic is gonna be about, it's very very welcome to have.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse