Gaming Why is the upcoming Switch game called Xenoblade 2, was Xenoblade X not canon?

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also are any of the Xenosaga games from the PS2 have any tie in to this series or is it completely different from each other?

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's to distance the game from the flop that was xenoblade x.

The only tie in I know of is that the same creator made xenogears, xenosaga and the wii/wiiu games.

YayIguess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also are any of the Xenosaga games from the PS2 have any tie in to this series or is it completely different from each other?
Firstly, there are 3 series in the 'Xeno series' owned by 3 diffterent companies
Square Enix-Xenogears
Namco-Xenosaga
Nintendo-Xenoblade

In those there is Xenogears, Xenosaga ep. 1/2/3, and Xenoblade 1/X/2

However, there are 4 'canons' in the Xeno series. (bad wording but I don't know what else to call it as timeline might imply they are all directly related somehow)

Xenogears
Xenosaga games
Xenoblade 1 (Xenoblade 3D was a port of 1 in case anyone was unaware)
Xenoblade X

right now it looks like Xenoblade 2 is either going to be in the Xenoblade 1 canon or in its own canon but we don't know enough to be sure and we might not until the game comes out as it certainly looks to be in the distant future if it is a sequel to 1. They may also very well come back to the X canon later as well if 2 is a sequel to Xenoblade 1.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly, there are 3 series in the 'Xeno series' owned by 3 diffterent companies
Square Enix-Xenogears
Namco-Xenosaga
Nintendo-Xenoblade

However, there are 4 'canons' in the Xeno series. (bad wording but I don't know what else to call it as timeline might imply they are all directly related somehow)

Xenogears
Xenosaga games
Xenoblade X

right now it looks like Xenoblade 2 is either going to be in the Xenoblade 1 canon or in its own canon but we don't know enough to be sure and we might not until the game comes out as it certainly looks to be in the distant future if it is a sequel to 1. They may also very well come back to the X canon later as well if 2 is a sequel to Xenoblade 1.
While it's true that the games were released by different companies, they all had the same "creator", Tetsuya Takahashi.

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Square Enix-Xenogears
Namco-Xenosaga
Nintendo-Xenoblade

Xenogears
Xenosaga games
Xenoblade X

Thats a lot to wrap my head around, thanks for explaining.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... Xenoblade Chronicles/X/Chronicles 2 *looks to be* very much like Final Fantasy in the naming conventions.

Although 2 could be more an X/X-2 or XIII-2. We don't know yet.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... Xenoblade Chronicles/X/Chronicles 2 *looks to be* very much like Final Fantasy in the naming conventions.

Although 2 could be more an X/X-2 or XIII-2. We don't know yet.
Tetsuya Takahashi originally worked for square, and xenogears was his proposal for FFVII - so it makes sense that his games are influenced by the FF series.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tetsuya Takahashi originally worked for square, and xenogears was his proposal for FFVII - so it makes sense that his games are influenced by the FF series.

I love Xenogears and Xenosaga.. but I feel his desire to be way to grandiose actually hurt those games in the long run. :(

wuboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will likely be a direct sequel to the original Xenoblade Chronicles, Xenoblade Chronicles X takes place on who-knows-where and will likely have its own canon.
Xenoblade Chronicles X basically ends in a cliff hanger and sets up a sequel.
Also where did all the hate for Xenoblade Chronicles X come from? I think it's fantastic in its own right, I'd just like to know your reasoning as to why you think it sucks.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will likely be a direct sequel to the original Xenoblade Chronicles, Xenoblade Chronicles X takes place on who-knows-where and will likely have its own canon.
Xenoblade Chronicles X basically ends in a cliff hanger and sets up a sequel.
Also where did all the hate for Xenoblade Chronicles X come from? I think it's fantastic in its own right, I'd just like to know your reasoning as to why you think it sucks.
Its an OK game, its just dissapointing after i played XC and was expecting a sequel. Xenoblade 2 looks perfect so far.

D

Deleted User

Because X was so bad. They want us to forget. I'll never forget, though.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, i would think so, Like ALL THE DIFFERENT GAMES THAT EXIST! Mega man, Mega man x. Is not like is the first game to have such titles like this. No one ever said this was supposed to be the sequal to the wii xenoblade chronicles game. Is just a game with a matching title ending in X, Maybe there will be 2 different series, and if it happens then you will know why is called the way it is.

Also to answer your question, i think people just disappointed is not as good as xenoblade chroniceles (And when i say as good, i mean that by popular opinion.) It expanded on lots of stuff that made it interesting to play, but perhaps was more geared twoards the MMO crowd of players than the casual JRPG ones. So perhaps is just a thing like that. I never played mmo games before, i had planned to, bought final fantasy 14 on psn during a sale 4 years ago, but never started it. I think is a fun game with exploring a bit more motivated with running, jumping and giant robots. (Never got one yet) except the one thing is suspending me is the font is so damn small, i have to sit close to read it even with my glasses, is very uncomfortable and gamepad doesn't help with the smaller size. Eye strain and rest more than play is like a bad combination for a gamer. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life