Why is the text all messed up in SNES games like Secret Of Mana?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by phyreon86@gmail., Jul 9, 2012.

1. phyreon86@gmail.
    OP

Newcomer phyreon86@gmail. Newbie

Hi!

I have the dstwo card and i have imenu on it with catsfc snes emulator and when i try to run games like secret of mana and seiken densetsu 3 the text is all messed up and you cant read out what the text in the game says like new game or names on characters, but on games like rock n roll racing the text is fine, is this a problem with squaresoft titles?

2. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    Emulators aren't perfect.
    munis bsnes which IS perfect. but its ot for ds

3. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I believe pretty much all the games using any of the SNES emulators for the DS have messed up text. I know all of mine do.
    The DS is pretty bad at emulation.

4. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Actually, a lot of emulators on systems other than the PC happen to have some trouble with those two Seiken Densetsu games. Usually the problems originate from either the text or ring menu system and it causes other systems to break (the most common I've seen is a problem handling the text, which also breaks the ring menu system).

OP, try messing with the settings. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right display settings and, occasionally, the emulator developers will add special settings for certain games that will fix different aspects that are difficult to emulate in certain systems.

I don't have any experience with DS2 emulators, so I can't be sure if messing with the settings will work. On the DS, I've only used SNES emulators like SNESDS, on which neither game is fixed if you mess with the settings. However, it can't hurt to try it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    SoM uses a pseudo-hires resolution (double width one way IIRC) for some text screens to give more detail to the letters (and SD3 uses it for the menu screens to fit more shit in). This isn't a commonly-used thing so some emulators (especially mobile ones) tend to not support it.

So file it under "not supported, won't work".

1 person likes this.
  6. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The reason why the text messed up in those games is because the emulator doesn't support the display mode the game requires. Most, if not all, games use 256x224 (or equivalent), but some games use other modes at certain times. The SNES Seiken Densetsu games are the ones widely known to use them, switching the mode to 512x224 or 512x448. Not much you can do until the author implements it.