Why is the 3ds menu better then the Wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by mysticwaterfall, Feb 4, 2013.

1. mysticwaterfall
    OP

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    So, I've been thinking about this lately and it baffles me. Why does the 3ds menu better/ have more features then the Wii U?

*Folders
    *Playlists with total, average, and number of times played per game, all ranked however you want
    *DLC can be purchused ingame without rebooting
    *Eshop titles are installed automatically

I know upates are coming in Spring Summer, but you would really think since they have the same menu structure the Wii U menu would be at least as good as the 3ds one.

Rant over, back to playing games now.

2. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    My honest answer: I don't know. I can poke a few cynical guesses (they want to have something to advertise over the upcoming months, they want to thwart pirates by putting powerusers to the dilemma where the system menu actually improves as well as removes piracy, or the most obvious one: it was done by a different team), but I can't come up with something that's really plausible.

My main gripe with this, however, is how the f*** this menu is so slow in everything. I get that HD-games aren't started in a flash-second, but something as returning to the main menu really shouldn't take this long. The freakin' wii menu is better than this!

3. RedCoreZero

Banned RedCoreZero Creativity is Power

United States
    They had a year and a half to do everything.

4. mariofanatic64

Member mariofanatic64 The guy who does things

Australia
    1. That wasn't available when the 3DS launched either.
    2. That's not the menu, that's the Activity log.
    3. Cartridges are not the same as discs.
    4. The idea behind installing your downloads is so that if you delete them, you don't have to re-download them. You just re-install.

fossda likes this.
  5. mysticwaterfall
    OP

United States
    1. Agreed, but considering the Wii U came out a year after this, you think it could be added.

2. There is no reason the activity log should be worse on the Wii u.

3. This has nothing to do without, the DLC in both cases is stored differently from the game. (SD card on 3ds, system on Wii U). No reason it can't work the same way.

4. You still have to redownload if you delete them, the Wii U doesn't keep the download seperate after install. Again, no reason it cant install after dl.

6. mariofanatic64

Member mariofanatic64 The guy who does things

Australia
    Regardless of whether DLC is directly patched to a game or the system itself, discs would have to reload themselves because the DLC has to load with the game when it boots up, this also applies to the 3DS system menu when you update the firmware, for example.

However, this doesn't apply to game cartridges, as they are always loading new data, any DLC would load itself when the game loads up new information.

7. mysticwaterfall
    OP

United States
    discs are also always loading new information, unless you think the entire disc is somehow loaded into memory all at once
    Now for a major game update, I can see rebooting. But for little things like pinball tables in Zen pinball its just silly when games like Mario and Thetarhytm can do it in game with no problem. It's just a matter of programming it to do that.

8. Deltaechoe

Member Deltaechoe The Dopefish

United States
    I think it has to do with the miiverse integration, the problem just feels like nintendo rushed a new version of their OS that had some core pieces built from scratch. Anyway, just give it time and I'm sure it will get a bit more polished.