Hacking Why is Softmii the best for backups?

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's not that much better. It's just more of a faster way to boot games and it's suppose to have some cosmetic differences.

Launchers have the advantage of being more safe and able to work on any System Menu version.

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
I wouldn't touch that softmii thing with a 50 foot pole, at least not for another couple months.
Not saying it's not cool, I just think it's too risky to mess with just yet

adrian783

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
softmii is less risky than the modchip if you can read and follow instructions.

also softmii has near 100% compatibility since it uses the IOS version the game is designated to run, only patched to allow backups. gamma, on the other hand, runs with 1 ISO version for all the games, that's why there are a dozen or so games that wont run, like HotD2.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I say, the lastest version of my toy is the best "softmod" for import games and import backups.

adrian783 said:
softmii is less risky than the modchip if you can read and follow instructions.

also softmii has near 100% compatibility since it uses the IOS version the game is designated to run, only patched to allow backups. gamma, on the other hand, runs with 1 ISO version for all the games, that's why there are a dozen or so games that wont run, like HotD2.

The IOS is not the problem for the games. SoftMii would have nearly the same compatibility with the cIOS36rev7 installed as every IOS. The problems in Gamma+SoftChip come 1. from the method the games are loaded, the disc channel loads a little bit different, that's why the 002 error occurs, and Sam&Max and FarCry need some special method to run. And 2. some game load their IOS themselves. Red Steel for example, loads IOS9 after being started, that's why you need either to replace IOS9 with a cIOS or to IOS Version patch the game to IOS249.

Raziel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i installed softmii last night and had absoutely no problems, i think it will be easier for my kids to play the backups also. i wonder if softmii will play the rockband backups or will i need to continue using Softchip. i will have to test.

TESTED: Softmii runs my rockband backups with instruments!!

Wii_Manic

Trophies
XP
Country
Hiya im new to the forum..

Just installed softmii, easy if you follow the instructions.
I tried Call Of Duty 5 Backup and it shows it in the disc channel but when i click start it tells me there is an error, to eject the disc and restart the wii..any help plz? It works in Gamma but not in Softmii.

Thanks
Wii_Manic

AsosaYoung

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I"m glad that many people miss the whole point of SoftMii. Then this will stay with the selected few who are really into more then just playing Wii games on the Wii. Control is what I like. Also the ability to launch what ever I want when I boot up my system is a plus. Then there is CrazyIntro as the name states I can play a short crazy intro and then I have the option to boot the systemmenu or the HBC. So continue to just play your Wii games and make hundreds of new treads like "I get a black screen when I insert the game disc", "My little bro/sis updated my Wii", "I installed a wad I found on the ground and it BRICK my Wii".
I'll just get my popcorn and enjoy the movie.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AsosaYoung said:
I"m glad that many people miss the whole point of SoftMii. Then this will stay with the selected few who are really into more then just playing Wii games on the Wii. Control is what I like. Also the ability to launch what ever I want when I boot up my system is a plus. Then there is CrazyIntro as the name states I can play a short crazy intro and then I have the option to boot the systemmenu or the HBC. So continue to just play your Wii games and make hundreds of new treads like "I get a black screen when I insert the game disc", "My little bro/sis updated my Wii", "I installed a wad I found on the ground and it BRICK my Wii".
I'll just get my popcorn and enjoy the movie.

Um. I see you've been around here for under a month, so i'll leave a little bit of slack, but please don't be arrogant towards the ignorance of others. Yes, there are a lot of people that don't understand (or think they DO understand, but were misinformed)... try and be helpful rather than lumping everyone into a lesser group that yourself.

Wil Wheaton says it best... "Don't be a dick."

EDIT: Oh, and for Topic's sake-
I use Gamma. I have never touched SoftMii, and have only read a very little bit. In fact, Asosa opened my eyes to a few more of SoftMii's abilities heh. I think i'll stick with Gamma until i have a much larger grasp on other softmods. I mean, for the time being, Gamma is wonderful for me, and if it's not broken, i'm not going to fix it
tongue.gif

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I still use Gamma. SoftMii might become a great alternative, but it's just too risky for me at the moment - certainly because Gamma works fine for me.

When BootMii comes out I'll probably try it, because BootMii makes modifying Wii software that much more safe.

gameshark

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
gamma is it for me.

for softmii you have to have a 1 on 1 backup or your screen goes black and its not the most region free i would like to have.also it interferes with the rebooter from gamma.

i'll stick with gamma for the time being.

AsosaYoung

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize if it seems that I'm being arrogant towards the ignorance of other because I'm not. It's just that people may ask what's the difference between a and b. And the only real way you can you can give them the best answer is to have created it, have had in depth discussion with other about it,really tested it , or you are currently using it.
Yes I have been here just a month and I am thankful to GBAtemp and all the knowledgeable members.
I admit when it comes to the Wii I'm still on the low level but I do read and read and I'm learning. I help those that help themselves because someone past that gift on to me. But I don't give advice about things I don't know anything about.

SoftMii has the same compatibility as the backuploader.
All my game that work in gamma work in SoftMii.
52NTSCU/ 30/PAL 3/NTSCJ

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Softmii actually has BETTER compatability that the loaders, mainly because the games can call their ios and not be forced into a set ios. There are several other reason i say compatability is higher. For one if the game supports your video mode it defaults to it, no need to force anything. Games that don't support your region natively have to be patched to whether you use gamma or softmii, just a fact of life. Its not possible to use a video mode that doesn't exist. Personally i am seeing 100% compatibility. For those who don't want to use it because they decrypted all their games, get with the program decrypting has been strongly discouraged by both wii and wan since .3alpha. As for it not being region free... WTF where have you been? It is FULL region free. I can play NTSC PAL and JAP games from boot without a single problem... if you tried it and didnt get full region free then you skipped a very important step... No matter what version you are on even if it is 3.2 you MUST run the included arc. as it has the only true working region free hacks built into it. Softmii itself does not interfere with the rebooter, that would be preloader. Also why would you need the rebooter in the first place if you used softmii... gammas rebooter is the long way of booting from disc channel, forces the system menu and games to use ios249, and is known to have issues with several games that work flawlessly under softmii.
Honestly i have yet to find a game that doesn't work with softmii.

Wii_Manic

Trophies
XP
Country
Wii_Manic said:
Hiya im new to the forum..

Just installed softmii, easy if you follow the instructions.
I tried Call Of Duty 5 Backup and it shows it in the disc channel but when i click start it tells me there is an error, to eject the disc and restart the wii..any help plz? It works in Gamma but not in Softmii.

Thanks
Wii_Manic

If anyone else is having this problem in Softmii, tring re-installing ciosscorp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"