Gaming Why is Rockstar so CHEAP? [LA Noire RANT]

Will you buy LA Noire on Nintendo Switch?

• Yes, I'll buy the Nintendo Switch version.

• No, but I'll buy another version (PS4/X1)

• No, not interested or I have already played the game before.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tony_93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LA Noire is the latest game to include the "switch tax" (for those who don't know what the "switch tax" is, it means the game is $10 more expensive on the Nintendo Switch than PS4/Xbox One because cartridges are more expensive to manufacture than Blu-ray discs, publishers have then decided to past that cost onto the customer instead of losing profit).

Other companied are already doing it, Puyo Puyo Tetris costs $40 on the switch while $30 on the PS4/X1, Rime physical version costs $40 instead of the digital version which is $30 (but includes a free soundtrack code to soften the blow).

What's my problem with Rockstar doing it since other companies started doing it before them you might ask?

Well LA Noire will be a 29GB digital download, but if you decide to buy the physical version YOU STILL HAVE TO DOWNLOAD 14GB of data! that's right ladies and gentlemen, Rockstar added the switch tax to their customers ($10) AND still CHEAPED OUT and put the game in a 16GB cardtridge instead of a 32GB one.

I was going to get it on the switch version for 3 reasons:

1)I never played the PS3/360 version.

2) I love handheld gaming, I like to play games from my bed at night.

3) Switch 3rd party support will continue as long as games sell, so I'd buy the portable version (Switch) over the PS4 version if I have the option to ensure companies keep releasing more.

But it's impossible for me to buy it on the switch knowing that the game is more expensive due to the switch tax and I'd still have to download HALF the game into the memory card because Rockstar still wants to squeeze a few extra bucks outta switch owners.

I like physical version of games because they are physical (duh), I do not want my physical games to be half digital, it blows the whole physical version point away.

This is no small 3rd party indie with limited resources we are talking about, this is a giant who made billions of dollars from GTA V alone, why cheap out so badly in your first game release for the switch?

If anything this will push lots of buyers away (me included) from the switch version and then they won't release more games on the switch because they'll dim it non-profitable.

I am truly disappointed, any thoughts you might want to share guys?

PD: This is not a trolling thread to hate on the switch, if you think this rant/topic is pointless please just move on and don't flame me or anyone else for critisizing the monetary system the switch is being built around.

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, is it $10 extra for the digital version also? I'm just planning to wait a bit so it goes on sale as I've already got a bunch of games stockpiled to play after I finish Odyssey.

Reactions: Deleted User

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you buy from Best Buy and are in the gamers club you get 30% off all physical copy video games. So my Switch LA Noire will be $39.99 not $49.99, so the extra fee don’t really bother me.

Tony_93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you buy from Best Buy and are in the gamers club you get 30% [wasnt 20%?] off all physical copy video games. So my Switch LA Noire will be $39.99 not $49.99, so the extra fee don’t really bother me.

Don't get me wrong, I am an Amazon Prime member, It gives me a %20 OFF from newly released games (2 weeks maximum after launch), making it $39.99 before tax too.

BUT I still don't like the whole idea that half the game needs to be downloaded... and if I pick the PS4 version I'll get %20 OFF from the $39.99 making it even cheaper/no download necessary...

The struggle is real xd

Just curious, is it $10 extra for the digital version also? I'm just planning to wait a bit so it goes on sale as I've already got a bunch of games stockpiled to play after I finish Odyssey.
Most likely it will be the same price ($49.99) since Retailers/Nintendo are very anal about digital games being published cheaper than physical since it cannibalizes the retail market...

Last edited by Tony_93, , Reason: Typo fixed

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Games for the Switch are getting bigger and bigger in terms of size, I wish they would implement a removable hard drive option instead as a microSD.

Reactions: DrkBeam

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other companied are already doing it, Puyo Puyo Tetris costs $40 on the switch while $30 on the PS4/X1, Rime physical version costs $40 instead of the digital version which is $30 (but includes a free soundtrack code to soften the blow).
Umm first on eshop the game is $30, only the retail is $40, the reason why is cause it includes two key chains and a box instead of just the plastic case. Second reason is there is no way anyone is gonna sell a game people know should be cheaper on those carts.

Retro city rampage is a example, the total file size of the game is less than 50MB and the game is $15 on eshop but $40 at retail. Rather than "ADDING MORE CONTENT TO THE GAME TO MAKE IT WORK PURCHASING FOR THE INCREASED PRICES" they add "ADDITIONAL COLLECTABLES TO MAKE UP FOR THE COST"

Of course is not the case with most games. Ultra Street fighter 2 Final challengers had more work done to it rather than adding some collectable to make it $40, if you ask me, is still over priced, $25 would be nice. Adding a new game mode that prioritizes motion controls and didn't properly function was not good use of time. Most people would get it just for the sake of having a 25 year old fan favorite on the system, but could have been a download only for about half the cost. Problem is that people LIKE BUYING RETAIL GAMES. If they didn't have any reason to sell the games on the cart (eshop only) then maybe they could just lower the price, but no one wants tons of data downloaded when you can buy the cart to hold it for you. You may end up buying a bunch of sd cards which is prone to eventually corruption or just buy the game carts. As for Shovel Knight, I have no excuse, it was $15 when I bought it on wii u and now $25 for treasure trove edition which supposed to have 4 campaign modes and multiplayer soon.

Switch tax is probably a made up term to give people a reaction when using it, but is not really a tax. Is just some devs/publishers being the way they are with switch carts. Yes the carts are bit more expensive than the disc we been using for a decade but is also here to stay. Not that is a bad thing but the act of purposely making games expensive by adding collectables rather than trying to add more content to the game makes it a bit disturbing to many. So far people are gonna complain about ports being overpriced on the system simply cause it probably is.

Bottom line it all depends on who is the target people here. I always thought the digital games should be cheaper than retail but oh well. Since people like buying actual games at a store to hold and play physically, they keep making them, the premium packaging is worth it to them. Some like to just download and store it on the system which also is okay, though for both customers, not all games exist in both formats. I buy retail games cause the games that I buy have large amounts of data i rather keep reserved for digital only games. It is annoying to have like 4 games be about 32Gb when you could just buy the cart/disc and not have to worry about it, at least switch doesn't install data from game card into the system like ps4 and xbox one does.

Tony_93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Sonic Angel Knight AFAIK Puyo Puyo Tetris was the first game to get "switch taxed" and they included the 2 keychains to give something back to the customers to make up for that $10 difference from digital/other versions, mass producing keychains is dirty cheap and probably costed them less than $1 per keychain set and used the rest to make up for the cardtridge costs.

I do feel games like Ultra Street Fighter II and Retro City Rampage aren't just getting "switch taxed" but also getting massively inflated since people will buy overpriced games on a new console regardless of value due to hype... Bomberman R and 1,2 Switch also say hi xd

I been having lots of fun with my switch but these price differences are annoying me lately.

Reactions: Deleted User

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I oretty much agree with everything in the first post. I love handheld gaming, and I want this, but here in Canada it's $65 plus taxes. That's $15 more than the PS4 version. I guess that translates to about the same because of dollar differences.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Sonic Angel Knight AFAIK Puyo Puyo Tetris was the first game to get "switch taxed" and they included the 2 keychains to give something back to the customers to make up for that $10 difference from digital/other versions, mass producing keychains is dirty cheap and probably costed them less than $1 per keychain set and used the rest to make up for the cardtridge costs.

I do feel games like Ultra Street Fighter II and Retro City Rampage aren't just getting "switch taxed" but also getting massively inflated since people will buy overpriced games on a new console regardless of value due to hype... Bomberman R and 1,2 Switch also say hi xd

I been having lots of fun with my switch but these price differences are annoying me lately.
Well I mean can't disagree with you, the increase in price is a low blow, but some eshop games are cheaper than the retail purchase. Once again the problem is that instead of adding more content to the game to make it worth buying the GAME for the increased price like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, they instead sell the retail copy with collectable items. The other problem is that most games that are very small in file size like Puyo Puyo tetris which is less than 500MB that could just been a download only don't need retail purchase but do any way for the sake of buying a game at retail. People like buying retail games and that why they keep selling them, if they sold the games for what they worth then is no problem but some games don't need to be put on the game/disc as they aren't very large and more like a waste compared to games that is at least 16GB or more.

Honestly I would have bought many games on switch already like mario kart deluxe, ultra street fighter 2 and some others if they wasn't the price they set which for a port, don't usually get set over $40, while is true mario kart 8 deluxe have more content including all dlc from wii u version, so does other games with same conditions also have it and still don't sell for more than $40 like one piece unlimited world Red Deluxe edition.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
It's an absolute mess. No consumer should have to
1. buy physical cart
2. pay $10 extra
3. buy microsd (extra cost)
4. download extra data

In order to play a game. I wish Nintendo would absorb the cost of higher-capacity game carts so there's less of these kind of crap situations. I just know there's gonna be people who buy the game retail only to find out that they're paying a whole bunch extra. Doesn't help that I literally picked up this game with all its DLC for $7 on Steam once. It's a fantastic game, but no consumer should have this big a burden placed on them.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Damn, 30 bucks for Doom's cartridge is something special then.
It better be the best cartridge ever made to be paying 60 dlls for it while the rest of the versions go for sale for half or less :tpi:

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's an absolute mess. No consumer should have to
1. buy physical cart
2. pay $10 extra
3. buy microsd (extra cost)
4. download extra data

In order to play a game. I wish Nintendo would absorb the cost of higher-capacity game carts so there's less of these kind of crap situations. I just know there's gonna be people who buy the game retail only to find out that they're paying a whole bunch extra. Doesn't help that I literally picked up this game with all its DLC for $7 on Steam once. It's a fantastic game, but no consumer should have this big a burden placed on them.
I think the reason why the extra data is cause the cart itself doesn't hold enough space. Perhaps the maximum limit for known switch carts is 16GB at the moment. If they do another print run with more high capacity carts, the extra data may not be required. Remember that halo master chief collection? that also required data not on disc probably cause same reasons.

Still I agree wit you about it being a mess. I don't want to sound cheap or greedy but I don't like overpriced products. But that is a subjective thing and if many people don't agree is not helping the case. I haven't bought mario kart 8 deluxe cause is $60, is also a port of a wii u game, and i never paid more than $40 for a port/upgrade for any game and will not even bother, so I been waiting for a discount for long time. There is plenty of switch games i wanted but haven't gotten cause i felt they was overpriced. I just managed to get a copy of puyo puyo tetris for $25 and was happy about it. Also managed to find ultra street fighter 2 for $25 and just wish economy was better. :ninja:

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PC version is 14GB. I have no desire to play such a lazy port. I'll play it on PC if I have to waste space for it anyway. I can get some mods and play at higher everything.

djnate27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too prefer physical versions of games, primarily for collectible/resale/trade/lend value. Physical copies used to have an advantage over digital because in theory we really only have access to the digital as long as it’s available on their servers. When the console ends support, so does the ability to re-download it, if needed. The problem is that now a days even physical copies don’t ship “complete”. There’s usually a Day 1 Patch or necessary update needed. How will you get those when the console ends support?

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cost wise this is nothing new, whenever a new console comes out the games are priced higher going back as far as I can remember, PS4 games cost at least £10 more than their PS3 equivalent, heck PS4 games cost at least £5 more than their XboxOne equivalent just due to popularity.

Already new releases have dropped in price, Mario Kart, Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 all retailing for £42 at release; Zelda was £60.

The problem I have is with this additional download bullshit. Cartridge games have a massive advantage over competitors discs as you can have as many as you want and never ever need to worry about space and installation.

That was the theory anyway..

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a different price developers have to pay if they decide to release their games on a physical format on the switch. I remember reading that the carts come in 4/8/16/32GB (maybe 64 also) sizes, and the more space, the more it costs. Not to mention, the amount of carts produced also affects the price they pay. Obviously the more they produce, the less *per cart* it will cost to make overall. So developers will pick a smaller size to save on cost when mass producing, and leave the rest to be downloaded. Another reason why the games are so expensive in physical format. It's not just some blank Blu-ray disc that costs $0.01/piece for them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ngNaUaQOfPU