Hardware Why is pretty much every New 3DS an XL

ignare

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't get it when it first came out, so maybe it's just that the smaller ones sold out, but it seems to me like pretty much very New 3DS model was an XL. Why is that? I like the XL too but in a way I like how the original preserves the graphics more preciesly.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer the 'regular' size too. I bought two of the regular New 3DS when they were on sale for $150. SM3DLand bundle. Gave one to my daughter. I think it's a much more comfortable size and yeah the graphics are identical, just higher dpi. It's a tradeoff but I guess Nintendo probably knew from past experience that most would go for the larger screen. 'Murrica and all that.

Reactions: jimmyj and ignare

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As someone mentioned the normal N3DS' were discontinued worldwide in 2017 - and don't forget they weren't even made available in the States at first.

There's simply fewer of them about. Going by Wikipedia there are 2.49 million sold compared to 9.82 million XLs.

I definitely prefer the normal size myself - but I find it's much harder to get replacement parts such as stylus and batteries.

It's similar to the GBA SP AGS-101s in Europe.

Reactions: ignare

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I didn't get it when it first came out, so maybe it's just that the smaller ones sold out, but it seems to me like pretty much very New 3DS model was an XL. Why is that? I like the XL too but in a way I like how the original preserves the graphics more preciesly.
For me the small n3DS is a good size since the graphics look sharper on it and it's slightly bigger than the o3DS (which was a bit on the small side), but it is less comfortable to hold than the XL and because it wasn't released in US initially there are far less accessories for it which could affect someone's purchase decision.
I guess most people just think bigger = better. Though that is not necessarily the case.

Reactions: ignare

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah i think it boils down to the n3DS XL not being released in the US for about a year, then being discontinued, but even here in the UK where they were released i have seen a lot more XL than standard n3DS consoles, i guess people just prefer feeling like they were getting more for the money as the price difference wasn't too substantial iirc, and the people that would take that discount if they were buying for children etc would probably just buy a standard 3DS/3DSXL rather than the smaller n3ds

as always with these questions it always boils down to supply and demand, limited supply and limited demand in the case of the small n3ds consoles

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Negatronic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a couple of them for just as a collectors item, but I prefer the XL. I feel like the N3DS screens are significantly smaller, while the console itself is only slightly smaller. Feels nice in the pocket and in the hand, but not worth the trade off for me.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow. And here's me thinking my New 3DS XL is smaller than I thought (and wished) it would be. I never saw one in person and went by what I saw on Youtube. I guess I didn't realize that most full-time Youtubers have small hands.

It's really the screen(s) size that is an issue for my old eyes. I have to wear dollar store reading glasses to do anything. But I have to say: I absolutely love this little wonder and can't imagine why anyone (over 6 year of age) would ever turn off 3D on it. I get that the earlier models didn't have eye tracking, but these later models should always be in 3D mode and the 2DS is... Well I'll never own one. ;)

It seems to me that if the original 3DS had had the eyetracking of this model along with the C-stick, they might have sold twice as many and never made the 2DS model.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think if they had come out with more unique cover plates designs for the small n3DS it might have sold better but as it stands the limited edition n3DS XL designs are far cooler than any of the cover plates and the small n3DS never got limited edition designs like that, just some very simple designs on the cover plates.
i do regret not getting the Boo cover plates for my n3DS though, now that they go for $300+ used... Out of all the designs that's probably the one I like the best. And they're just two pieces of plastic, they hardly cost anything to make, so I'm disappointed at Nintendo for only producing such limited quantities of them.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why do people prefer IPS panels over TN panels despite the fact that the TN panels have a better refresh rate on a handheld gaming system where the improved viewing angles of IPS style panels really don't matter? Why do people prefer a heavier, harder to pocket system with blurrier screens? That latter one at least can be well explained by having big hands. But I'm a grown man, have quite average/above average hands, and the standard model is still a better fit for my grip. Maybe some people just prefer their controllers to run down the whole contour of the palm, even though most controllers don't actually do that.

It seems to me that if the original 3DS had had the eyetracking of this model along with the C-stick, they might have sold twice as many and never made the 2DS model.
It seems like eye tracking should have always been a thing, until you learn that the eye tracking takes an entire ARM11 CPU core all for itself, and a single N3DS core (of which there are four) has more processing power than both cores of the O3DS combined.

Last edited by N7Kopper,
Reactions: Deleted-236924
D

Deleted-236924

I like that the XL models have two angles at which the screen hinge will click.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol