Why is pretty much every New 3DS an XL

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by ignare, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    I've had an XL and a regular and I've found that I far prefer the more pocket-friendly size of the regular. I do miss the IPS panel and better speakers of my XL, though. But I got lucky, I was on a business trip in northern Idaho and my job site was across the street from a GameStop. Found my non-XL there, one of the Black Friday editions and it was on a hackable firmware (which mattered at the time :P ). It's really sad the regular ones didn't sell better here in the US, we might have seen more from that specific form factor.

2. silvershadow

silvershadow GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2006
    Canada
    i thought the XL was more popular in north america because of nintendo's assumption of americans with big hands. and the normal size was more common in japan. i always wanted a black new3ds but i never got one, just because outside of a special limited edition one, i dont think we got it over here.

3. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    I've NEVER thought the IPS panels were better. Severe black crush is the main reason.

I prefer the XL. When you're 6'4" with large hands combined with being 48 and not the best eyesight... it's the XL all the way.

Ammako likes this.
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Since handhelds never go above 60 FPS the refresh rate is a non issue. IPS panels can go way higher than that.

5. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    Totally fair, it's all about preferences. I just miss the better viewing angle with the IPS panel is all. I've never really seen the black levels as too crushed, but again, preferences. I'm ~6'1" and have long-ish fingers myself, so I know what you're talking about in terms of grip and comfort, but I always come back to the XL just not being pocket-friendly enough for my needs. For me, going from an XL to regular-sized N3DS has actually helped me take the aging handheld more places and play it instead of instances where I would have just pulled out my phone (a growing habit I'm trying to break). Again though, it all comes back around to the needs of the individual user. I'm happy you have the option to pick an XL because it suits you better. I just wish that it had been profitable for the regular sized-system to be a more common option for people, too.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted