Gaming Why is Nintendo so STINGY with Virtual Console games?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not just buy the virtual console versions for cheap, and then emulate them however you want? Theoretically, it's just as morally right (either way, you own a copy of the game, whether it be digital or physical), and often they're cheaper than the physical cartridges.

And it's definitely not true of N64 games that homebrew emulators work better than the official wii ones...

At least Mario Kart 64 can save Ghost Data. The VC version doesn't emulate it due to their being lazy.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
bitch bitch bitch
Tell me, are you capable of saying ANYTHING that's not ridiculously negative 24/7? When you're not bitching about something a game company does, you're bitching at OTHER people for bitching about something a game company does that you don't care about.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tell me, are you capable of saying ANYTHING that's not ridiculously negative 24/7? When you're not bitching about something a game company does, you're bitching at OTHER people for bitching about something a game company does that you don't care about.

You got it all wrong, I'm not bitching about other people bitching about a game company. I'm bitching about other people bitching about my bitching about other people bitching about companies that people like to bitch about when others bitch about bitching. See, I have this virulent disease that if I don't make fun of something stupid, like the Virtual Console's poor emulation on certain games (or anything that does a bad job), my head will explode. It's a very serious condition, I'm surprised you haven't heard of it seeing as you have the disease, you just don't want to admit it.

4a1422d0.png

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Why not just buy the virtual console versions for cheap, and then emulate them however you want? Theoretically, it's just as morally right (either way, you own a copy of the game, whether it be digital or physical), and often they're cheaper than the physical cartridges.

And it's definitely not true of N64 games that homebrew emulators work better than the official wii ones...

Try playing Pokémon Snap in a emulator...

that is why i wrote generally. you are right about N64 and i am using my good old N64 for pokemon snap.

even virtual console versions are sometimes more expensive than the real hardware. of course that depends on the game.

even then buying the real cartridge is better because you can simply play it on real hardware which i generally do.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
that is why i wrote generally. you are right about N64 and i am using my good old N64 for pokemon snap.

even virtual console versions are sometimes more expensive than the real hardware. of course that depends on the game.

even then buying the real cartridge is better because you can simply play it on real hardware which i generally do.

I prefer playing things in real hardware, since you are playing the way it was meant to be, no dealing with bugs in emulation, filters in the game's look, etc...

reprep

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
I prefer playing things in real hardware, since you are playing the way it was meant to be, no dealing with bugs in emulation, filters in the game's look, etc...

agreed, that is why i still have my famicom,SNES and N64 connected to my TV, but i sometimes shoot an old game on a modern console/handheld i own when i am in the mood.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually seriously considering dropping VC in favor of almost exclusively real hardware for the reasons you mention. Sure, it's nice to have the filtering and upgraded resolution on VC games, but using a component or S video cable on old systems makes them look pretty decent on my LCD. Sure it's more expensive, but there's just a certain experience that comes with playing an N64 game with an actual N64 controller, etc. Plus, of course, the massive nostalgia factor.

reprep

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
I'm actually seriously considering dropping VC in favor of almost exclusively real hardware for the reasons you mention. Sure, it's nice to have the filtering and upgraded resolution on VC games, but using a component or S video cable on old systems makes them look pretty decent on my LCD. Sure it's more expensive, but there's just a certain experience that comes with playing an N64 game with an actual N64 controller, etc. Plus, of course, the massive nostalgia factor.

that would be a good choice. my NES is connected via composite (no s-video or RGB unfortunately), SNES via RGB scart and N64 via RGB scart (it has been RGB modded). they look great. not as clear as virtual console ones but playing with original controllers is cool.

also there aren't those small graphic glitches. for example paper mario had some around boxes etc which is not on real hardware.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
that would be a good choice. my NES is connected via composite (no s-video or RGB unfortunately), SNES via RGB scart and N64 via RGB scart (it has been RGB modded). they look great. not as clear as virtual console ones but playing with original controllers is cool.

also there aren't those small graphic glitches. for example paper mario had some around boxes etc which is not on real hardware.
i'm sorry, what do you mean by RGB? Is that the same as S video or something different?

reprep

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
i'm sorry, what do you mean by RGB? Is that the same as S video or something different?

ooops i forgot you are from US. RGB scart is a common way of plugging external devices to TV used mostly in Europe. it is generally the best way to connect a retro consol to TV.

qualitywise it is the best analog system, better than s-video and equal to component. it carries up to 480i resolution.

unfortunately it is hard to find a TV which natively supports RGB scart in US. though a lot of people use RGB scart to component converters to enjoy extra quality over s-video.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
ooops i forgot you are from US. RGB scart is a common way of plugging external devices to TV used mostly in Europe. it is generally the best way to connect a retro consol to TV.

qualitywise it is the best analog system, better than s-video and equal to component. it carries up to 480i resolution.

unfortunately it is hard to find a TV which natively supports RGB scart in US. though a lot of people use RGB scart to component converters to enjoy extra quality over s-video.
I see. Correction though: Component can actually support up to 480p and 720p resolution, which is higher than the 480i resolution you mention.

reprep

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
i didn't mention that because those resolutions are irrelevant for retro consoles. at 480i resolution RGB scart is better than component in most cases but the difference is neglible and mostly depends on cable quality.

so if you are looking for best video quality, go for rgb scart for equal to 480i and below resolutions, go for component for 480p,720p,1080i,1080p and go for hdmi whenever possible.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
i didn't mention that because those resolutions are irrelevant for retro consoles. at 480i resolution RGB scart is better than component in most cases but the difference is neglible and mostly depends on cable quality.

so if you are looking for best video quality, go for rgb scart for equal to 480i and below resolutions, go for component for 480p,720p,1080i,1080p and go for hdmi whenever possible.
Huh.

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States
i won't buy anything from VC or buy digital games for 3DS. there is still no digital account, content is locked to one device and way too overpriced.

i buy old games for cheap and play them on their original consoles or via emulators in newer consoles. it is not illegal in any way, plus those emulators are generally much better than official ones (take the ones on wii).

Same here,I'm never buying classics.I either emulate it or get from CN.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1