Why is my retail OoT game cart asking me to update?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by dap1mp13, Dec 11, 2014.

1. dap1mp13
    OP

dap1mp13 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2006
    United States
    NYC
    I have a retail copy of OoT I just bought today. I have a 3ds with 2.2.0 firmware, so I checked http://3ds.essh.co and it says that OoT only requires firmware 1.1.

Now when I try to play OoT, it says that the game requires a system update.....

The point is, I don't want to update past 4.5, because I plan to get a gateway card soon. I also have Luigis Mansion Dark Moon on the way to get my 3ds up to fw 4.5. But in the mean time I'd like to start playing OoT.

Does anyone know what firmware OoT wants to install on my 3ds? Or is there anyway I can bypass the OoT update just so I can start playing the game?

2. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Netherlands
    You might have just stumbled upon a new revision of OoT with a higher firmware, unless the information on that website is inaccurate somehow.
    I'd hold off until you're absolutely sure.

3. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    When you try to launch the game, it should tell you the update included like that :
    [​IMG]
    If it doesn't, turn off your console wifi.

4. dap1mp13
    OP

dap1mp13 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2006
    United States
    NYC

Yeah, thats what I thought too, that I should see what firmware it wants me to update to.
    And my wifi switch has been off. In fact, I don't even have any wifi profiles/connections setup in my 3ds.

Here's what my 3ds looks like....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen

Updating does not seems to be a good idea, but if you happen to update please post what version did it give you.
    I am just curious about it.

6. UraKn0x

UraKn0x Official senpai

Mar 20, 2014
    France
    Could you post a picture of the game cartridge?

7. CalebW

CalebW Fellow Temper

Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    Update to a higher version using another game(one in the 4.X range) then play zelda.

8. Phantom_User

Phantom_User Phantom of Page 666

Aug 28, 2012
    Your nightmares
    Have you tried any other game cart? It seems to me you might've downloaded an update during Wi-Fi or something and now, before every game card, you'll need to update.

Just theorizing though.

9. dap1mp13
    OP

dap1mp13 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2006
    United States
    NYC
    Yup, here you go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have tried another game, Super Mario 3D Land (authentic retail, of course). That game works just fine, it doesn't ask me to update.

I tried playing OoT on a 9.2.0 3DS XL, it worked and didn't prompt for an update. Unfortunately, that 3DS XL isn't mine. I was just looking forward to playing OoT for the next week or two..... =(

10. titegtnodI

titegtnodI Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2014
    Canada
    I'm not sure if the information printed on the back is different for every cartridge but my info is AQEE510081 and the info written above my pins is D01-01, yours is D01-10, I guess you have a "rev 2" cart?

11. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    When did you purchase this cartridge? Nintendo may have gotten sly and started putting newer updates on new batches of old games.

12. titegtnodI

titegtnodI Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2014
    Canada
  13. razielleonhart

razielleonhart RazzyDee

May 21, 2008
    my pin info on mine is DA E-2 D01-01

14. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    I second this. Check if there's an update file on the SD card in Nintendo 3DS\random numbers\random numbers\extdata and delete.

15. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 20, 2007
    He could use the gateway launcher to dump the rom from the cart and use 3ds Explorer to check for the firmware update

codychaosx likes this.
  16. dap1mp13
    OP

dap1mp13 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2006
    United States
    NYC
    I'm not sure what's going on….
    I just tried to update my 2.2 firmware 3ds to 4.5 firmware using my retail copy of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon… but I get the same message, and it won't tell me which firmware it's updating to. I know Luigi's Mansion is supposed to have FW 4.5 on it, but I don't want to end up updating to a FW that may have downloaded in the background/sleep mode (if it did it's probably FW 9.2). Check out the pic below.

[​IMG]

I have nothing significant stored on my SD card (at least I don't think I do), if I format the SD card will that erase any FW updates Nintendo may have downloaded in the background or in sleep mode previously (once again, if it did it's most likely FW 9.2)? Are system updates that are downloaded in the background/sleep mode via wifi normally downloaded to the SD card?

17. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Rename your "Nintendo 3ds" folder to "_Nintendo 3ds" and see if that gets rid of the nag.
    If not, reformatting should get rid of the nag for sure if its truly an internet update.

18. einstein95

einstein95 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    New Zealand
    Yes as I have heard that they're temporarily stored on the SD.

19. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Updates are downloaded to the SD card. You can format it if you're not worried about losing anything else on the card, this will get rid of the update.

Celice likes this.
  20. rashef

rashef GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2006
    Poland
    Raimon
    Is it possible that his FW is so old that it doesn't display the version you're updating to?